An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

@basieus444 think that athens will be in the top 5 cities of the empire based on the fact that it has more room to expand than say nicea or thessalonica

By the way, just reading the comments about Avignon going corrupt. When and why did that happen and can anyone give me a list of the Avignon Popes TTL? Thanks!

The history of science and scientific advancement has long been one of my favorite studies. ITTL several important scientific advances are decades ahead of OTL and that will likely have massive implications as we get closer to the modern age. If this current pace keeps up there's a very real possibility that the technology level ITTL is a full century or so ahead of OTL by the time we get to the 21st Century. To pull a few examples of the earlier scientific discoveries from the text and contrast them with OTL:

One of the more common starting points for the Historic-Romantic is 1618, when construction work for a Sicilian villa unearthed what turned out to be the ruins of Pompeii. The news shot across the Greater West, being spoken about in Norway and Ethiopia by 1620. The earliest, and very primitive by later standards, excavations began in 1627, the workmen overseen by two teams of antiquarian scholars, one from the University of Bari and the other from the University of Constantinople.

Pompeii/Herculaneum wasn't discovered fully til the 1700s, jump-starting archaeology OTL like the author described ITTL.

At the same time, the Rosetta stone, discovered by Egyptian soldiers during the war, is being examined in Constantinople with the hopes of translating the mysterious and now lost written language of ancient Egypt. This takes much longer to bear fruit, with many scholars trying their luck but none succeeding until 1649.

The Rosetta Stone wasn't discovered til Napoleon's expedition in Egypt in the late 1700s and it wasn't deciphered til the early 1800s!

The discovery that white light is actually a multicolored spectrum, the development of calculus, and the formulation of the laws of universal gravitation and laws of motion are all products of the Academy from 1630-1645.

This is the big one to me. Newton's Principia wasn't published til 1687. Here ITTL his analogue (or analogues - entirely likely more than one person ITTL makes these discoveries) are discovering his theories a half-century or so ahead of OTL.

Roman scholars have their own claims to fame regarding the natural sciences during this period. Roman soldiers during the Great Latin War also end up unearthing some of the first bones identified as ‘terrible lizards’, dinosaurs.

Dinosaurs weren't identified as a separate class of animals until well into the 19th Century.

There are more examples in the text of course (ITTL Boyle's Law is about two decades ahead of its OTL counterpart and both microscopes and barometers are invented earlier ITTL) but to me those are the big drivers. I really can't stress enough how important that fifty year head start is for the Newtonian discoveries/theories listed above. Curious to see when this timeline's Planck/Einstein/Fermi/et al make their discoveries.

Years ago the author listed that he wanted a 21st Century world that was more advanced technologically than ours. The discoveries/inventions listed here are certainly a way to help ensure that happens.

I might have missed it, but who is (or will be) the Raven King?
Also, if the dogma in Physics is "publish in Greek or perish", I imagine that the 1st Industrial revolution will start in the Triune monarchy, in Lotharingia and in the HRE, but the 2nd Industrial Revolution with major advancements in Physics and Chemistry will start in Rhomania.
And Russia is probably going to be re-united although I think it will not be under an absolute monarch.

I might have missed it, but who is (or will be) the Raven King?
Also, if the dogma in Physics is "publish in Greek or perish", I imagine that the 1st Industrial revolution will start in the Triune monarchy, in Lotharingia and in the HRE, but the 2nd Industrial Revolution with major advancements in Physics and Chemistry will start in Rhomania.
And Russia is probably going to be re-united although I think it will not be under an absolute monarch.
I reckon it’ll be something to do with Frederick Zimmerman becoming a King-maker.

I personally think the Raven King is the name given to a Peasant Revolt Leader.

With foreign armies invading and pillaging the HRE, traditional local leadership gutted/infighting/fleeing, German economy and demographics crushed, and heretics spawning all over to predict the End Times at every street corner, I think central Europe's going to see the growth of a massive grassroots movement. Rooted in proto-Humanist ideals, it'll have various traits such as primitive community-level democracy, anti-aristocratic populism, German nationalism, democratically-collectivist economics, etc., all rolled up into one monstrous thing that offends everyone else. It'll get attacked from every side to prevent the precedent it could set, eventually leading to the peasants turning to a charismatic natural leader and giving him autocratic levels of power, with a strong cult of personality to the side for good measure.

I personally think the Raven King is the name given to a Peasant Revolt Leader.

With foreign armies invading and pillaging the HRE, traditional local leadership gutted/infighting/fleeing, German economy and demographics crushed, and heretics spawning all over to predict the End Times at every street corner, I think central Europe's going to see the growth of a massive grassroots movement. Rooted in proto-Humanist ideals, it'll have various traits such as primitive community-level democracy, anti-aristocratic populism, German nationalism, democratically-collectivist economics, etc., all rolled up into one monstrous thing that offends everyone else. It'll get attacked from every side to prevent the precedent it could set, eventually leading to the peasants turning to a charismatic natural leader and giving him autocratic levels of power, with a strong cult of personality to the side for good measure.

And that peasant’s name? Friedrich Zimmermann.

It’s seriously awesome to see that Theodor’s March is only the beginning of two decades of action.

But his nickname is seriously the digger? Sounds like a bad pun.

It’s seriously awesome to see that Theodor’s March is only the beginning of two decades of action.

The digger of graves I think it means. Whether that’s himself or Germans is probably hotly debated bY historians TTL.

The Era of Mad Geniuses: The Historic-Romantic Era at its height
@Basileus444 you forgot to threadmark this update.

Aye that's a good candidate. With how piddling TTL's 30YW was, this could be the more appropriate counterpart with Zimmerman playing the part of a Humanist Martin Luther. Hell, we might even see a new, even more hardline movement show up in response to everything since it's those Catholic Wittelsbachs and those Bohmanist Triunes that are turning Germany into the Devil's playground.
The digger of graves I think it means. Whether that’s himself or Germans is probably hotly debated bY historians TTL.
Probably both. It might even be literal, who knows? Maybe he dug his own grave and buried himself alive as a mean of getting away from the phantom Greek assassins.

@Basileus444 you forgot to threadmark this update.

Aye that's a good candidate. With how piddling TTL's 30YW was, this could be the more appropriate counterpart with Zimmerman playing the part of a Humanist Martin Luther. Hell, we might even see a new, even more hardline movement show up in response to everything since it's those Catholic Wittelsbachs and those Bohmanist Triunes that are turning Germany into the Devil's playground.

Probably both. It might even be literal, who knows? Maybe he dug his own grave and buried himself alive as a mean of getting away from the phantom Greek assassins.
Even Charles VI wasn’t that mad... Ah well, that’s what you get when you think it’s 1204 but it’s actually 1634 and your army gets stackwiped in Macedonia.

The great political projects of the age, Theodor’s march, the Raven King, the Gathering of the Rus, the War of Wrath, all repeatedly called back to earlier eras for their pathos and justification.

I suppose Theodor's march could be considered one of the greatest failures of all time, if looking back on it with a modern lens. The end of Wittelsbach Supremacy over Western and Central Europe.

Something makes me think that these events will happen in sequential order. Number one is over, war is coming to Germany and if this Raven King will arise that's two. There's no sign or impetus for the band getting back together in Russia, but the Roman Empire needs time to recover and regroup before Odysseus begins his war, which should close out the 1640s.

Even Charles VI wasn’t that mad... Ah well, that’s what you get when you think it’s 1204 but it’s actually 1634 and your army gets stackwiped in Macedonia.

He and the Lombards had very unrealistic expectations, probably built off the Hungarian invasions and the Time of Troubles where a Latin invasion easily pierced the Roman European frontier. It’s comforting to see Thessaloniki go through a (relatively) easy sack victim to the furthest an enemy army can go.

By the way, how do imperial titles work? As in “By the grace of god, Demetrios III, Emperor of the Romans.” Do they include their colonial possessions or claim overlordship of the Despotates?

By the way, how do imperial titles work? As in “By the grace of god, Demetrios III, Emperor of the Romans.” Do they include their colonial possessions or claim overlordship of the Despotates?

Δημήτριος εν Χριστώ τω Θεώ πιστός βασιλεύς και Αυτοκράτωρ Ρωμαίων

In English "Demetrios faithful to Christ the God basileus and emperor of the Romans"