An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Very interesting, so Theodor isn't as idiotic as he seems, just incredibly optimistic, naive and ill informed.

How aware of the recent developments in Constantinople and Georgia are the Germans? D3 has all but solidified his grip on the capital and Imperial bureaucracy, and his Strategoi appear to be loyal.

From a dynastic point of view, all it will take is Odysseus to be involved in a decisive victory to solidify the family's prestige, and that looks all the more likely if the Georgian reinforcements are sent their way.

The current King of Hungary had not forgotten that humiliation, but he was also well aware that the Holy Roman Emperor was sitting in a palace and realm that’d been filched from the then boy-king.
Does the King of Hungary remember that it was his grandfather that caused the war of Mohacs. Who would have though invading during the height of the Eternal War, against the greatest Muslim warlord for centuries would result in a strong response. The Germans did more wrong by the Hungarians, taking advantage of their weakness to seize Austria.

“I’m not going to bargain away my God-given rights for some gold like I’m a Lubecker,” Theodor protested.
Guess Theodor doesn't think much of the merchants in his Empire, adds to the Hansa backstab foreshadowing.

“You know as well as I that won’t make a difference. He is a Wittelsbach, of the Imperial line. And everyone knows that Wittelsbachs don’t lose, ever. Somehow they find a way.”
Is this internal commentary on the borderline Mary-sue status of the Wittelsbachs TTL? Just like the newspapers in the prior update.

Ah so the plan is to march south against the empire's second largest city while there is already a large enemy field army at Vidin and the other side controls the sea? That's going to prove interesting. Although I suspect Theodor and co don't really understand the effect of sea power. Not down at the gut level.

It seems at this point the Ottomans and Wittelsbachs should race each other to get peace first. Whoever bows out first will get spared the worst excesses of revenge, facing a united Roman army. The Germans seem reluctant to even enter that race, I'm curious where Ibrahim stands right now. On the other hand, D3 seems determined to make the Latiins pay more either way. The Turks will likely have to wait for Odysseus to get their just rewards.

Although I suspect Theodor and co don't really understand the effect of sea power. Not down at the gut level.

Agree, but that's to be expected for a German dynasty mainly based in Bavaria.

I'm starting to think Theodor is less an idiot and more a man who made a stupid decision that he can't back down from. So now he just chants "just keep swimming just keep swimming" alongside his smarter generals. Because it's too late for Gordon Lightfoot's advice to either step up or step back. There's only step up or die off for him now.

Ah so the plan is to march south against the empire's second largest city while there is already a large enemy field army at Vidin and the other side controls the sea? That's going to prove interesting. Although I suspect Theodor and co don't really understand the effect of sea power. Not down at the gut level.
I strongly suspect that the German army is going to get cut off in Macedonia, especially if they're unfortunate enough to actually take Skopje in relatively good time then try and move quickly to Thesaloniki. If the Roman army retakes Skopje while the Germans are already in Lower Macedonia, they're now stuck between heavily fortified cities, the Roman army and the Roman navy, and are now wasting away slowly (or not so slowly, especially if, say, D3 encourages the people of Macedonia to preempt the invaders) while the Romans roll up their former supply lines and let them starve.

I strongly suspect that the German army is going to get cut off in Macedonia, especially if they're unfortunate enough to actually take Skopje in relatively good time then try and move quickly to Thesaloniki. If the Roman army retakes Skopje while the Germans are already in Lower Macedonia, they're now stuck between heavily fortified cities, the Roman army and the Roman navy, and are now wasting away slowly (or not so slowly, especially if, say, D3 encourages the people of Macedonia to preempt the invaders) while the Romans roll up their former supply lines and let them starve.

Ah which point, the betrayals are sprung, and the Wittelsbach are ... well.

You know the word.

I don't want to make predictions. But if I was playing the imperial side I'd be inclined to let the Germans march south... then have Lascaris army advance into their rear, putting the Germans between the anvil of the Scopje/Thessaloniki forts plus troops landed there by sea and the hammer of the army of the west. If the Germans tried to pull away from the trap in time the decisive battle would be... in Kosovo. Of course since the German plan is to NOT care about their communication lines and they will be taking at least some precautions and the office of the barbarians better keep traitors in hand. plus if I was shipping tens of thousands of men to Thessaloniki in addition to Lascaris army I'd have to take them from some other front, probably Italy and the Levant. Still I'd prefer playing the War Office's hand than Blucher's hand...

I'm starting to get the feeling that as Blucher tries to hold down Lower Macedonia, Theodor decides to go on ahead with not nearly enough troops, gets ambushed by partisans led by a woman, and dies horribly.

I'm starting to get the feeling that as Blucher tries to hold down Lower Macedonia, Theodor decides to go on ahead with not nearly enough troops, gets ambushed by partisans led by a woman, and dies horribly.
A emperor eaten by cannibals? Now that has to be one of the most gruesome endings for a monarch in the last 1000 years.

No need for cannibalism, just having him killed in a random ambush and body never found will rack his Empire. Who takes over, imposters showing up, basically government collapse.

She had loved Andreas III, adored him. That silly smile, his kind laugh, his sinfully soft hair; the memories of their early years before it had all gone wrong still brought warmth to her soul. And it had hurt terribly when he’d turned away from her to other women, and in her pain she had become angry and jealous and stupid. Instead of trying to win him back, she’d only pushed him away in her jealousy, which had only made her even more jealous, which pushed him away even more. And she had been too stupid to see that, until it had been too late.

She had learned much on the ride away from Constantinople and in the first months back in Bavaria, as her brother made his plans for this great and terrible war, because she had failed. It had been her task to get a scion of the House of Wittelsbach upon the throne of Constantinople, and because of her stupidity she had failed. Theodor would not have marched if Andreas III’s successor had been the son of his sister, but it was instead a Roman bureaucrat.

Oh Miss Elizabeth, let's have a talk, you and I, heart to heart.

Andreas III cheated on you because he was a cheater, full stop. That's what they do. You did nothing wrong. Let me say that again, once more for emphasis - you did nothing wrong. I understand your anguish and shame and regret but there's not a damn thing you could have done to prevented him from cheating. That's a terrible mentality - one that far too many people have. I hope that one day you understand that Andreas III's failures as a husband were his and his alone and there's not a damn thing you could have done differently to prevent him from sleeping around.

Oh Miss Elizabeth, let's have a talk, you and I, heart to heart.

Andreas III cheated on you because he was a cheater, full stop. That's what they do. You did nothing wrong. Let me say that again, once more for emphasis - you did nothing wrong. I understand your anguish and shame and regret but there's not a damn thing you could have done to prevented him from cheating. That's a terrible mentality - one that far too many people have. I hope that one day you understand that Andreas III's failures as a husband were his and his alone and there's not a damn thing you could have done differently to prevent him from sleeping around.

I won't lie, the open nature of it, and generally the weirdly polygamous nature of D3 vs A3s outright cheating makes me wonder about the secular legal state of marriage in the Empire. Is it purely a church affair and therefore Monogamy for Christians, Polygyny for Muslims? Or is only one of these recognised legally (or both?). It seems eminently sensible, potentially even something in motion to have Polygyny start be a conversation in some Christian circles. Potentially even Polyandry too (but that is more of a stretch).

I predict some ATL-althistory.com follower is wondering "If Polygyny or Polygamy was commonplace during the Fifth Empire, would the Sideros have ever risen to the throne?"

I'm genuinely curious as to my knowledge we don't have Courtesans, or Byzantine Seclusion, or Harems ITTL.

Plus, assuming A3 was down with it, Polyandry would have been rather helpful in allowing Odysseus to feel less angst with his friend.

I seem to recall earlier in discussions about logistics that the Romans have the capacity to field something approaching 200k men in the Aegean basin, but not beyond that.
The place where Theodor now wants to march right into.

So, what's Theodor's plan for the Roman army on the Danube? They could just wheel around and cut him off, and I doubt the Germans have enough soldiers to man both the northern line and the southern sieges.

So, what's Theodor's plan for the Roman army on the Danube? They could just wheel around and cut him off, and I doubt the Germans have enough soldiers to man both the northern line and the southern sieges.

But they'll change sides once Constantinople throws open its gates to the rightful emperor!