American King: Take Two

Well, Proprietorships would be a bit more like the Congo under Leopold II, where the person in charge owns about everything. Speaking of beverages, would this be a good time to bring up the Beverage Baron I was hinting at earlier? Lemonade, kola, gin tonic, root beer, ginger beer, brandy from Mount Vernon, whisky from the ?Bourbon? region, ciders from Johnny Appleseed, cocoa from Hershey, ... Probably should start looking up some things on Chiclets, those long green feathers the Aztecs collected so there can be even more things for teatollers to drink. I have been hoping actually to get a lot of the stuff into the Metropolitan Club for those without noble titles, where a barkeeper could make Taft or Tammany Turkey Tails by mixing the remains of expensive bottles of booze for a non-connosuier Irishman.

Well, Proprietorships would be a bit more like the Congo under Leopold II, where the person in charge owns about everything. Speaking of beverages, would this be a good time to bring up the Beverage Baron I was hinting at earlier? Lemonade, kola, gin tonic, root beer, ginger beer, brandy from Mount Vernon, whisky from the ?Bourbon? region, ciders from Johnny Appleseed, cocoa from Hershey, ... Probably should start looking up some things on Chiclets, those long green feathers the Aztecs collected so there can be even more things for teatollers to drink. I have been hoping actually to get a lot of the stuff into the Metropolitan Club for those without noble titles, where a barkeeper could make Taft or Tammany Turkey Tails by mixing the remains of expensive bottles of booze for a non-connosuier Irishman.

I love this! From now on, you can be my economic adviser for the TL. :D One thing: when the time is right, Dr. Pepper is totally becoming the dominant soft drink. :D

Getting ready to post new chapter...

Charge.png

Just saw this.

:eek: Good Golly, Miss Molly. *has heart attack*

That is one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen. :D Wiiguy, if you made this, I'm going definitely to be calling on you in the future.
Thannks! :) Actully, there's a bettter, edited version a dew pages bac on this very thread. But thanks! :D

@Gwen: couldn't find exactly which "lights are going out" quote you wanted me to use, but I can edit what I did put if you want. :) I'll probably go over this chapter again and make everything really clear. See if you guys can figure out what's gonna happen and who is gonna side with who.

Long Live King John I
Prelude to War
James_Barbour_Terrill.jpg

King John I in 1849, age 57

King John I was crowned as per the Royal Constitution as quickly as arrangements could be made following his stepfather's death. He lamented not being at his side when he died. However, John knew that the time had come to buckle down and go to work. His political enemies, the Whigs, had gained too much of their old strength. Oliver Hazard Perry, one of John's closest friends, was now regarded as an absolutist and John was accused of the same.

When John married the British princess Victoria in 1836, whose family had been in exile in Philadelphia since the October Revolution of 1817, Victoria was 17. He was 44. The Whigs attacked it as a "perversion." Duke DeRensis said of it, "This is an ugly affair. We fought for independence from the damnable British for years and endured merciless bloodshed to do what? Marry with them, that's what!" The Crowns rejoiced. Now every monarchy in the world would have to reckon with the House of Jackson. Martin Vanburen, one of the people who came up with the idea of the controversial marriage and convinced Andrew I to allow it, was quoted as saying in a speech in New York City, "'Tis a great thing! This is the final step in procuring our rightful place on the world stage. This is the first intermarriage between European and American Royalty, and it is a glorious thing." A year later, in 1837, Andrew II was born. A half-British child whose great grandfather was King George III, was next-in-line for the Throne of the Union of Royal American States after Andrew I died in 1845.

200px-Gerard_-_Napol%C3%A9on_II_Roi_de_Rome.jpg

Andrew II as a Toddler

220px-80_Napoleon_II.jpg

Andrew II in 1850; it was said he inherited his grandfather's hair and most of his father's features, but from the side people claimed he closely resembled King George III. He hated this and tried to silence such speech from an early age, such as this portrait where his nose was made less prominent.

220px-George_III_%28by_Allan_Ramsay%29.jpg

His Britannic Majesty, George III, Great-Grandfather of Andrew Jackson and Dolley Madison Jackson's Grandson Andrew II, who Whig critics of John's marriage and subsequent son christened "Lovable Dead Grandpa George."

Clearly, the Whigs had to be dealt with and the legitimacy of his son would forced upon them, but that would have to wait; a new conflict was coming to the world, centering on the expiration of the Holy Roman Empire's 1799 treaty with the Ottoman's that divided Istanbul in two occupation zones. The Holy Romans never had any intention of withdrawing from their area of the metropolis. They had made it a Catholic and Orthodox, German-speaking, anti-Caliph bastion with an insane amount of fortifications and heavy guns. From 1845 to 1849, the Holy Roman Empire's best architects and siege warfare experts were sent to "Constantinople" to obviously prepare for prolonged military combat, even though they denied allegations they were planning such. Thousands of muskets and rifles were shipped in along with millions of rounds of ammunition and barrels of powder. Huge Imperial warships clad in iron sailed on the Mediterranean in never-before-seen numbers. The destitute Ottoman Empire just sat and watched.

440px-KuK_Kavallerie_1898.jpg

Holy Roman uniforms, such as those sported by these Austrian cavalry troops, were all the rage in the URAS, where they were died dark blue and the czapka hats replaced by either kepis or spiked helmets.

220px-Kaiser_Ferdinand_I_von_%C3%96sterreich_in_ungarischer_Adjustierung_mit_Ordensschmuck_c1830.jpg

His Imperial Apostolic Majesty and Roman Emperor Elect, Ferdinand IV

220px-Sultan_Abdulmecid_Pera_Museum_3_b.jpg

Abdülmecid I, 31st Sultan of the Ottoman Empire

The young Sultan Abdülmecid I was in the midst of trying to modernize his aging kingdom, and the threats of nationalist rebellions throughout his very cross-cultural land seemed very probable. Mesopotamia, for instance, was growing more and more independent in spirit. The numerous Jews in Palestine were growing richer than ever, and exerting their power over their Muslim neighbors. And Naser al-Din, Shah of Persia, was having frequent "discussions" with his military over whether Ottoman territory might be seized with the help of the British from India.

N%C4%81ser_al-D%C4%ABn_Schah.jpg

Naser al-Din, 36th Shah of the Persian Empire

For many years, Persia and Britain quibbled over who should have possession of Afghanistan. There were even skirmishes that resulted in some deaths, and a lot of effort was put in by both sides to win over the Afghans or crush them. Finally, when Alexander Richards the Elder became Chancellor of England upon the death of Arthur Wellington in 1847, the Commonwealth-Persian Alliance was signed, firmly entrenching them as rivals of the Sultan. While that may have been, the Holy Roman Empire still loathed Britain, and the Emperor made it clear he would not enter into an alliance with them.

In Russia, the very ambitious, reformative, and quite militaristic Czar Alexander II also had his own ideas for the future of South-Eastern Europe and the flailing Ottoman caliphate. The Russian Imperial Army was growing to gigantic proportions and was ready for a conflict.

386px-Alexanderbotkin.jpg

Czar Alexander II

The Russian military had, along with the Holy Roman Empire and France, been a major force in the founding of the American Republic and later URAS. The URAS still had its Marine Corps wearing Russian-green uniforms that were direct descendents of the surplus uniforms Russia sent over during the Great Revolution. The friendship, however, had deteriorated as time went on, especially after Viceroy Martin Vanburen "ran his big mouth" and said during a speech while on a state visit in Vienna that "the Holy Roman Empire and France are our best allies. Long live the Emperor!"

Beginning around the time the Holy Romans beefed up defenses as mentioned earlier, Russia was indeed having military strategy councils with the "Roman Emperor Elect's" generals and field marshals. However, just as Ferdinand was plotting to stab the Sultan in the back, Alexander II was planning to "help" the Emperor defeat the Turkish armed forces and then pummel the bulging borders of the Holy Roman Empire itself while Ferdinand's forces were preoccupied and still trusted that Alexander was on their side.

France, still under Louis Joseph I, was determined to stand by its very trustworthy American ally no matter what, and ironically endorsed the intermarriage of the American and British Royal Families, claiming it "further guarantee of a return of monarchy to the British Isles." Also, Viscountess Gwendolyn I had married Louis Joseph's son Charles Joseph. Any move made by the URAS or France was going to be firmly supported by the other.

640px-La_famille_royale_et_les_alli%C3%A9es_s%27occupant_du_bonheur_de_l%27Europe_from_NPG.jpg

The French Royal Family of Louis Joseph; it was still quite common in France to sport powdered whigs, something which went on till the early 1900s. Charles Joseph, husband of Andrew I's daughter Viscountess Gwendolyn I, can be seen on the far left.

1861.jpg

During the 1830s, France's white uniforms were fazed out in favor of a grey color; not only would it make soldiers less like bright targets, it also was much easier to clean and maintain.

Britain, meanwhile, was still smoldering in the ashes of the October Revolution. Despite Wellington's death, the revolutionary spirit still hung strong there, "like a poisonous London fog, threatening to consume Europe." Ireland was now under King Christian II, of the House of Blake, and he was as wary as his father Christian II of a revanchist attempt to retake the Emerald Isle by his Protestant enemies across a painfully thin body of water. The Irish Royal Navy was strengthened during Christian II's reign, but it was the apple of Christian II's eye. Everything went to building more ships. The British Navy was still weak after its naval legacy that began with the Sinking of the Armada in the 16th Century crumbled in the past century. The Irish government was essentially a pet project of France and the URAS, and it most definitely would do whatever was asked of it by the very countries who brought about its complete independence from Britain during the 1809 Treaty of London. The Irish-Commonwealth Border was a place where unimaginable bloodshed could erupt any day, and it was that way for decades. Britain's zone of influence spread to the Netherlands (United Provinces), which had formerly been a strong ally of France and the URAS. However, after several stadtholders that were in agreement with their Puritanical British cousins held power, the Netherlands drifted more and more into British influence.

Denmark-Norway was another good ally of the URAS, but less so of France. It tried to maintain the appearance of neutrality, but it was still essentially a pro-American country. Fredrick VII had a strong military, but it was relatively weak in comparison to, say, Prussia, France, or Britain.

362px-Frederik_VII_af_August_Schi%C3%B8tt.jpg

Frederick VII, King of Denmark-Norway

The Prussian Empire, still under the firm leadership of Kaiser Friedrich II, was quite pro-American, as the first Kaiser had been a correspondent of Andrew I and had been inspired to unite Germany by the same), but still had a huge rivalry with France over the Franco-Prussian War. Prussia had a strengthening relationship with Russia, and each country's military was based heavily on each other. The Kaiser was in-the-know about the Czar's plans to backstab Ferdinand, and was quite comfortable with the idea as an opportunity to prove who was really the Master of Central Europe. Middle-aged general Otto von Bismarck, one of the Kaiser's top men, made several trips to Russia to develop plans starting in 1848.

pius-ix-italy-troops.jpg

13th Oldenburg Regiment of the Prussian Imperial Army parading circa 1849; it would suffer 90% casualties after the outbreak of the next war.

This crafty maneuvering by clever leaders made things "a jolly mess." No one was sure who was on whose side. The only thing that was certain was that the death of Alexander Richards the Elder, Wellington's successor, and his subsequent replacement by Alexander Richard the Younger meant nothing good at all for the future of the world. In the Greater Mexican Region and South America, matters were even more muddled. The world was about to erupt. At the slightest spark, a flame might be lit that could consume all the world in an horrific blaze of war and bloodshed. Gwendoline of Canada said while watching workers snuff out streetlamps in Quebec City shortly before her death in mid-1849, that, "the lights are going out all across the world, just like those lights. I fear we shan't see them lit again for many years. We are headed for war. Many more lights will be put out. God help us, I know not what the results will be."

Last edited:
Looks like there may be less of a Catholic Irish presence in the Americas now. How about sending the Protestant Irish and Scotch-Irish to the Americas in their place?

OHH SNAP. Sh*t's getting real. :eek: It looks like the Great Northern War of OTL. A massive free-for-all with nations switching allegiances at the drop of a hat.

I looked but couldn't find it. Where? I must see it. :D
attachment.php

Your wish is my command.

If possible, I would love for the guy with the sword running the other guy through to be an older me and the one with th flag to be Baris. :D *bricked*

Last edited:
EDIT: Also, would anyone like to be an admin on the official site? I could really use someone to post the new chapters in. All you have to do is copy and paste. Rooster, maybe?

It would be an honor :D

Its a shame about not declaring war part; I'll try to make it clear that I'm not against a war necessarily, I just think it should be declared legally.

Unhindered free market capitalism you say!? Wow, this country will really be a powerhouse fast! :eek::cool:

Ya, sorry about the fractions :p I put that because Vanburen was Governor of New York from 1822-1832; so that's 3 full terms, and he resigned one year into his fourth term to take the position of Viceroy. So Marcy who followed him finished out his term, etc. And as I'm sure you noticed, I added a lot of new pages and information to the wiki. I hope they meet your standards and match the story :)

Wow, John I seems terrible. Any chance of a revised version of Robin Hood?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H2rO4HC8s8 :p Ya, the Whigs would probably speak out against the marriage on the basis of the URAS' history with Britain; I my self would try to work against it, but not exactly dedicated against it since I somewhat befriended Victoria's father, and hey, the monarchy is A LOT better than the Commonwealth. So lesser of two evils. But after the marriage is official and especially after the birth of an heir, I can't imagine any Whig would speak out against it. There'd be no reason too.

John I was actually friends with Perry? Even after the people rejected him and Perry's legacy was crushed in the minds of the populace? :confused: And on the wiki I have Perry dying in 1841, most likely of depression following in inglorious fall from power. Should that be changed? And is what I wrote about his administration and the Philadelphia Trials (found on Whig Nomination of 1836) canon?

Its a shame relations with Russia have grown so cold :( I really thought we'd keep a strong alliance after I initiated free trade with them instead of protectionism like the rest of Europe. And the URAS and France best buddies? Uh, what is the world coming too? :rolleyes: I really hope it doesn't come down to the URAS vs. Prussia and Russia, the two counties I actually wanted good relations with :p Also a shame that Bismarck is a general, the world really lost a great statesman.

Yes, as soon as the war starts, I plan to resign my position as Minister of Congress, and rejoin the military as a Grand Marshal :D And with my age (71), I'll probably have more of an Eisenhower type role of organization and strategy, than actually leading from the front.

In honor of Disney's Robin Hood, I just had to make this! :p

Oh the world will sing of an Union King
A thousand years from now
And not because he passed some laws
Or had that lofty brow
While the bonny good Duke leads
The great campaign he's on
We'll all have to slave away
For that good-for-nothin' John

Incredible as he is inept
Whenever the history books are kept
They'll call him the phony King of Union
A pox on the phony King of Union!

He sits alone on a giant throne
Pretendin' he's the king
A little tyke who's rather like
A puppet on a string
And he throws an angry tantrum
if he cannot have his way
And then he calls for Ma while he's suckin' his thumb
You see, he doesn't want to play

Too late to be known as John the First
He's sure to be known as John the Worst
A pox on that phony King of Union!

While he taxes us to pieces
And he robs us of our bread
King Andrew's crown keeps slippin' down
Around that pointed head
Ah! But while there is a merry man
in the Duke's wily pack
We'll find a way to make him pay
And get our freedom back

The minute before he knows we're bound
Ol' Duke'll snatch his shiny crown
The breezy and uneasy king of Union
The snivellin' grovellin'
Measly weasely
Blabberin' jabberin'
Gibberin' jabberin'
Blunderin'
Wheelin' dealin'
Prince John, that phony King of Union!

King John of Union, written 1850, and sang privately by Whigs in bars throughout the country :D Can this please be canon!?!?! :cool::)

Also, since we're deiting OTL songs, here's something I came up with:

Rob Lee, Rob Lee, lend me your grey mare
All along, down along, out along lee.
For I want to go down to Lo-ondon Fair

(Chorus)
Wi' Colon'l Brewer, Corp'rl Stewer, Cap'n Gurney, Sergeant Davy, Major Whiddon, Gen'rl Hawk,
Old Uncle John Jackie and all; Old Uncle John Jackie and all

And when shall I see again my old grey mare?
By Friday noon or Saturday soon
Chorus

So they harnessed and bridled Rob Lee's old grey mare
All along, down along, out along, lee.
And off they drove to Lo-ondon fair,
Chorus

Then Friday gone and Saturday come
Rob Lee's old gray mare hath not trotted home
Chorus

So Rob Lee he got up to the top of the hill,
And he sees his old mare a-making her will,
Chorus

And how did he know it was his old grey mare

Cos one foot were shoed and the tothers was bare

From Chorus

Rob Lee's old mare, she fell down and died
And Rob Lee he sat down on a tombstone and cried
Chorus

But this isn't the end of this shocking affair,
Nor though they be dead, of the horrid career
Of Chorus

When the wind whistles shrill on the dark of a night,
Rob Lee's old mare doth appear ghastly white
Chorus

And all the long night be heard rattlings and groans,
From Rob Lee's old mare and her rattling bones
Chorus

"Uncle John Jackie," first thought to be sung by soldiers of the URAS's 23rd New York Regiment after Robert E. Lee's Pyrrhic victory at <whatever>.

Robert E. lee's gonna fight here, right? Pleeease let this in too. :eek:
To this tune: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16chelA5pTc&feature=related

Last edited:
Last edited:
Looks like there may be less of a Catholic Irish presence in the Americas now. How about sending the Protestant Irish and Scotch-Irish to the Americas in their place?

There will still be some Irish Catholic immigration due to the fact that a lot of them get stressed living in TTL's Israel. :p The constant threat of attack and subjugation by the British scares some of them to move out. I could also see Protestant's, like you said, though. Obviously, a LOT of people are not going to like living in a Cromwellian dictatorship.

OHH SNAP. Sh*t's getting real. :eek: It looks like the Great Northern War of OTL. A massive free-for-all with nations switching allegiances at the drop of a hat.

Your wish is my command.

If possible, I would love for the guy with the sword running the other guy through to be an older me and the one with th flag to be Baris. :D *bricked*

That's exactly what I'm planning!

That picture is bloody perfect! Thanks! :D

Who's Baris?

Its a shame about not declaring war part; I'll try to make it clear that I'm not against a war necessarily, I just think it should be declared legally.

Ya, sorry about the fractions :p I put that because Vanburen was Governor of New York from 1822-1832; so that's 3 full terms, and he resigned one year into his fourth term to take the position of Viceroy. So Marcy who followed him finished out his term, etc.

And as I'm sure you noticed, I added a lot of new pages and information to the wiki. I hope they meet your standards and match the story :)

Wow, John I seems terrible. Any chance of a revised version of Robin Hood?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H2rO4HC8s8 :p Ya, the Whigs would probably speak out against the marriage on the basis of the URAS' history with Britain; I my self would try to work against it, but not exactly dedicated against it since I somewhat befriended Victoria's father, and hey, the monarchy is A LOT better than the Commonwealth. So lesser of two evils. But after the marriage is official and especially after the birth of an heir, I can't imagine any Whig would speak out against it. There'd be no reason too.

John I was actually friends with Perry? Even after the people rejected him and Perry's legacy was crushed in the minds of the populace? :confused: And on the wiki I have Perry dying in 1841, most likely of depression following in inglorious fall from power. Should that be changed? And is what I wrote about his administration and the Philadelphia Trials (found on Whig Nomination of 1836) canon?

Its a shame relations with Russia have grown so cold :( I really thought we'd keep a strong alliance after I initiated free trade with them instead of protectionism like the rest of Europe. And the URAS and France best buddies? Uh, what is the world coming too? :rolleyes: I really hope it doesn't come down to the URAS vs. Prussia and Russia, the two counties I actually wanted good relations with :p Also a shame that Bismarck is a general, the world really lost a great statesman.

Yes, as soon as the war starts, I plan to resign my position as Minister of Congress, and rejoin the military as a Grand Marshal :D And with my age (71), I'll probably have more of an Eisenhower type role of organization and strategy, than actually leading from the front.

Legally, the King is the Law. :p:D

Ooh, I get you now. I thought it might be something like that. Makes sense.

I think I've read all your pages so far; you're doing awesome!

I think you may be right about the Whigs apposing John after the event of the marriage. Crying over spilled milk. I'll probably edit it.

Perry and John were described as friends a good while back. Perry died?! I didn't see that. I think we need a retcon. Perry didn't really do anything illegal, he was just radically patriotic/FOLLOW THE KING and anti-Whig. If you could retcon to a milder fall, that'd be great.

Prussia doesn't dislike the URAS, but it hates France and vice versa, and France is the best ally America has, so Prussia has to watch out.

Picture DeRensis giving an "Eisenhower D-Day Speech" type thing. :cool:

Bismarck isn't out yet at all; he's only about 35. He'll be around for a very long time.

By the way, how about I have Ainsworth Layne be a young drummer boy in one of those wars going around now, and see his rise to major general...

And how about he don't become a socialist, but a radical liberal who supports the Monarchy, but also the strengthening of Parliament? Maybe he'll make the Crown Party into a somewhat liberal one...

By the way, what will happen with our favorite drunk Canadian, John A. Macdonald?

Perry and John were described as friends a good while back. Perry died?! I didn't see that. I think we need a retcon. Perry didn't really do anything illegal, he was just radically patriotic/FOLLOW THE KING and anti-Whig. If you could retcon to a milder fall, that'd be great.

Picture DeRensis giving an "Eisenhower D-Day Speech" type thing. :cool:

But didn't one of the posts say his "private police" were barging in people's doors and such? Sure, I can make it milder. What exactly did you have in mind?

So awesome :cool: Can't wait! :D

He had the real police barging in to arrest suspected or accused criminals. He was being too dictatorial, but he didn't do anything he believed was wrong. He had private detectives investigating people. Not police, more like private eyes. Not government, and they don't have the power to arrest people; dirt diggers in other words.

By the way, how about I have Ainsworth Layne be a young drummer boy in one of those wars going around now, and see his rise to major general...

And how about he don't become a socialist, but a radical liberal who supports the Monarchy, but also the strengthening of Parliament? Maybe he'll make the Crown Party into a somewhat liberal one...

By the way, what will happen with our favorite drunk Canadian, John A. Macdonald?

Ainsworth Layne is a fictional character from T191, isn't he? If he's fake, then he won't appear since I want to make this totally original. :) Feel free to pitch other characters though!

I think liberalism would have to come in the form of another party later on, like in the 1910s or '20s. The Crown Party is even more traditional than the Whigs, and would vehemently oppose Hemingway-style proto-Liberalism.

Baris is the Albanian observer/aide-de-camp from my story on the Great South American War.

*headdesk* Right! 'Forgot.

Oh, and I think someone brought up the Roosevelts earlier. Look at the name of Andrew I's teacher on the wiki and you may notice something I wrote ages ago... :eek: