Alterntive History Armoured Fighting Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
makes it look like a different nosed version of the DAF YP-408

640px-DAF_YP408_(1968)_owned_by_Timo_Pronk_pic09.JPG

...last but not lease, a mid-engine BTR-60 with a Scimitar turret. Please take your pick...

That's certainly my favourite and it matches what I envisaged with essentially having a LAV - 25 a decade earlier. Overall would this be an AFV suitable for a developing country or should I simplify the design further down?

That's certainly my favourite and it matches what I envisaged with essentially having a LAV - 25 a decade earlier. Overall would this be an AFV suitable for a developing country or should I simplify the design further down?

I think (naturally) that it is a good contender for your TL. Given the simple design of the BTR-60, I guess it's about as simple as it's going to get. ;)

I cheated and put the ramp on the side. :D
Those are supposed to be steps on the ramp in the bottom pic, they didn't come out too well.

I'm still going to integrate a modified ramp into the Cambodian BTR 60's following their operational debut.

BTW for my M - 24 Chaffee / AMX 13 hybrid is going to be called 'chkai prey' which is the Khmer name for the Dhole. To be honest as everyone inspired me to conduct some further digging and so I don't take up anymore of Claymore's thread PM if you want a cameo...

Last edited:
BTW for my M - 24 Chaffee / AMX 13 hybrid is going to be called 'chkai prey' which is the Khmer name for the Dhole. To be honest as everyone inspired me to conduct some further digging and so I don't take up anymore of Claymore's thread PM if you want a cameo...

Excellent choice - sly, cunning and fleet of foot - perfect! :)

I always had a soft spot for the BRDM 2... not sure why honestly. Which is the better vehicle between the BRDM 2 and the Panhard AML?

The BRDM-2 is all round the larger vehicle and consequently is a couple of tons heavier. The BRDM-2 is also amphibious which the Panhard AML isn't and has better ground clearance. Both have much the same speed with the BRDM-2 having a little better range. The Panhard AML, of course, carries that big 90mm gun.

The BRDM-2 is probably, on balance, the more robust and versatile vehicle but the Panhard does carry that big 90mm gun! So it really all depends on what you want the vehicle for. Although I guess my TOW armed BRDM-2 would trump the 90mm gun. ;)

I can't remember if I asked for a Turreted A7V or not. If I did can someone link me to it? If not can someone design one for me?

Also does anyone know what the fuck each of the 18 crew members in this thing did?

I can't remember if I asked for a Turreted A7V or not. If I did can someone link me to it? If not can someone design one for me?

Also does anyone know what the fuck each of the 18 crew members in this thing did?

I don't think you requested a turreted A7V but I'm on it.

Here's what some of the A7V's crew did, at at least six of them manned guns and then there was the driver and commander, a loader for the cannon and a mechanic.
This gives us 10 crewman but I don't know what the other 8 guys did.

WWI_a7v_intplan1.JPG

I think the other eight were on hand to get outside and push when it got stuck in barbed wire or rolled into a muddy shell crater.
Well I'm designing this to be a dud when the shooting starts in the TL this is for. So that might work but 8 guys pushing a 34 tons or so of tank that is stuck? I kind of doubt it.

A7V with a simple MG turret, inspired by the type of turrets on Rolls Royce armoured cars of WWI.
The driver's position has been moved forward and is centrally located as well as lower than OTL's A7.

a7v_w-turret.png

Last edited:

1 x Commander
1 x Driver
2 x Crew for main gun
4 x side Machine Gunners (two each side)
2 x rear Machine Gunners
2 x Mechanics
6 x Oompah Band for ceremonial duties, crew entertainment and putting the willies up the Frenchies (see Apocalypse Now for modern take on the concept) :p

I´ve seen conflicting lists, usually contained are: The commander, one driver, gunner and loader for every weapon (12 in total), 2 mechanics, and the communications section: 1 responsible for light signalling, 1 for the carrier pigeons of the tank. Also mentioned get 2 runners and an officers batman, though that would bring the crew above the 18, thus either those were secondary roles or they were not meant to ride with the crew, but were added to the crew which in practice could be up to 26 men.

Status
Not open for further replies.