Alterntive History Armoured Fighting Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good point but Jim specifically asked to keep away from Heavy tanks so a slightlu top heavy medium it had to be! :)
Right, perhaps your Sabre medium Mk.III would be a better choice.
I need to learn more engineering for the shit I want to do, but I need a check on something.

Can a Opel Laubfrosch support an armor body designed to survive in an recon light armor role in a World War One set up?

Secondly is the Benz 10/25PS which will be done before the Opel design be able to support an armored chassis and a turret that mounts a wide range of machine guns and light cannons (SA 18 like)
I think something is doable but I don't think you could mount more than a light cannon or mortar plus an MG.

the laubfrosch (original name Opel 4PS) only has 14 - 18hp, however they did make a delivery van. but i am thinking since it only has a topspeed op 50km/h that it does not have any power reserve to carry that weight around.

i would say the benz has a better chance, however its weight of 1000kg @ 25hp still is very little.

compare to the rolls armoured car, weighing 4.7 tonnes @ 80hp (the original silver ghost had 50hp)

with the same power/weight ratio the benz can max weigh 1800kg, the opel 1060kg

edit:

if you need a german car, try the Audi type E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Type_E

weight and performance wise it is comparable to the rolls

Then again Poland build an armoured car around the Ford T, thus while I don´t think the Laubfrosch with its worse motor than the T would do, the Benz seems possible to me, if not exactly as an extraordinary example.
Don't suppose either of you fine chaps would have a line drawing or two of some of these early autos?
Been searching the interwebby with no luck. :(

Don't suppose either of you fine chaps would have a line drawing or two of some of these early autos?
Been searching the interwebby with no luck. :(
Found this for the Ford:
ftb-ford.gif

And this for the Laubfrosch, though that one seems far too weak for an AC:
opel_laubfrosch_1924-60398.jpg

the laubfrosch (original name Opel 4PS) only has 14 - 18hp, however they did make a delivery van. but i am thinking since it only has a topspeed op 50km/h that it does not have any power reserve to carry that weight around.

i would say the benz has a better chance, however its weight of 1000kg @ 25hp still is very little.

compare to the rolls armoured car, weighing 4.7 tonnes @ 80hp (the original silver ghost had 50hp)

with the same power/weight ratio the benz can max weigh 1800kg, the opel 1060kg

edit:

if you need a german car, try the Audi type E
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audi_Type_E

weight and performance wise it is comparable to the rolls

Then again Poland build an armoured car around the Ford T, thus while I don´t think the Laubfrosch with its worse motor than the T would do, the Benz seems possible to me, if not exactly as an extraordinary example.

Found this for the Ford:

And this for the Laubfrosch, though that one seems far too weak for an AC:

Great detail and info guys. :)

Ok I'm at it once more. Still haven't figured out the armored car mess I have to deal with. But I coming back to WWI StuGs and Assault artillery units.

I'm currently looking at what can be done with Medium Mark B and FT-17 chassis set ups to make them into assault artillery units. I'm looking at them mounting either a 7.7 cm FK 96 n.A. or a 7.7 cm FK 16. Thoughts?

Ok I'm at it once more. Still haven't figured out the armored car mess I have to deal with. But I coming back to WWI StuGs and Assault artillery units.

I'm currently looking at what can be done with Medium Mark B and FT-17 chassis set ups to make them into assault artillery units. I'm looking at them mounting either a 7.7 cm FK 96 n.A. or a 7.7 cm FK 16. Thoughts?

something like the kanobil from rast's thread?

some design i posted for that
attachment.php

the main gun is a FK96 7,7cm
a spandau MG in the little turret on top

Last edited:

I have found claims that the Soviets designed an assault gun variant of their improved copy of the FT-17, the T-18. The originial prototype used an actual FT-17 is said. I am a bit dubious, since wikipedia gives a WOT site as source and other sites after a (very short) google search did not produce much better results. This site claims the same and even offers a picture:

T18_SPH_drawing.gif

Then there is the FT 75 BS, the assault gun version of the originial FT-17, which somehow managed to fit a shortened Schneider 75mm howitzer into the turret.

I also just remembered the self propelled gun I made for Blut und Eisen based on the Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschlesien and what I wrote then:

attachment.php
The equivalent to otls 7,7cm Fk 96 n. A. mounted on a slightly lengthened tank. Taking the original chassis looked wrong and not entirely workable thus I moved the motor forward and put the superstructure to the rear, similiar to otl Wespe and Hummel in a fixed position, open on top and aft. The scales (especially the gun) are still a bit off, but the paint job alone was a bitch to do and I wasn´t in a mood to do such details afterwards. At least you get the basic design.

something like the kanobil from rast's thread?

some design i posted for that

the main gun is a FK96 7,7cm
a spandau MG in the little turret on top

I have found claims that the Soviets designed an assault gun variant of their improved copy of the FT-17, the T-18. The originial prototype used an actual FT-17 is said. I am a bit dubious, since wikipedia gives a WOT site as source and other sites after a (very short) google search did not produce much better results. This site claims the same and even offers a picture:

Then there is the FT 75 BS, the assault gun version of the originial FT-17, which somehow managed to fit a shortened Schneider 75mm howitzer into the turret.

I also just remembered the self propelled gun I made for Blut und Eisen based on the Sturmpanzerwagen Oberschlesien and what I wrote then:

Italy also had a 75mm assault gun/artillery based on the FT-17, the Cannone d'assalto da 75:

Great work and possible proof that real life is stranger than fiction! :)

A Medium Mk B with 7.7cm FK 96 gun...

Medium Mk B Variant.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.