Alterntive History Armoured Fighting Vehicles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having the feeling that my thread has somewhat been usurped, I thought that I would post the latest images of my PzKpfw IV IFV for those still with an interest.

The model itself is nearing completion - a bit more weathering and the mesh side skirts to finish. The MacCaulay is next on the production line.

General interest will dictate whether I bother carrying this thread on. :(
Looking good as always Claymore. I hope you keep this up because I like your work.

That looks awesome Claymore! And why wouldn't there be any interest in this stuff? :confused:

Oh I'm just feeling a little bit precious that a lot of trade seems to have slipped away to Uruk's thread - there seems to be a significant blurring between the two in what should be posted where. :( Thanks for the support. :)

Looks great, as always Claymore. Please do keep this up, It's my favourite thread in non-political chat.

Thank you indeed good sir. :)

Looking good as always Claymore. I hope you keep this up because I like your work.

Thank you too. :)

Keep up the good work

Cheers :)

Aren't those jerrycans in a dangerous spot? :p

But good job, as always.

Thanks. The jerry cans will be marked up as water cans so no chance of accidental towering inferno! ;)

Thanks again to you all. Unfortunately, I am suffering the initial sniffles of man flu and clearly, being at deaths door, am not my normal resilient self. Have no fear, the thread shall go on! :)

What was the turret used on the PzIV IFV? Also, I don't see any lack of interest in your stuff. Hell, that's the reason I'm here at all.

NothingNow

Banned
General interest will dictate whether I bother carrying this thread on. :(

But your stuff is awesome.

Also I'd be contributing stuff to the thread, but I haven't had any good AFV ideas of late, aside from that M8 Greyhound update, and some T-34/85 and IS-2 upgrades.

The IS-2 probably just getting ERA, Aplique armor, a better engine and a 2A46 125 mm gun replacing the A-19 122mm gun, while the T-34/85 could end up with all sorts of weird modifications, including mini-katyushas using 16-140mm rockets alongside the turret (like a Sherman Tulip,) for area bombardment and things like that.

What was the turret used on the PzIV IFV? Also, I don't see any lack of interest in your stuff. Hell, that's the reason I'm here at all.

Thanks my good fellow. :) The curse of the man flu is upon me and as I fade in and out of consciousness and do battle with the grim reaper, I am clearly not firing on all thrusters. I'll give myself a stern talking to! :eek:

The turret is from a late Panzer II Ausf L "Luchs". Weirdly, it had jerry cans strapped to the side of the turret too. This being a somewhat dangers place to store gasoline; I had assumed that they must have been for water.

But your stuff is awesome.

Also I'd be contributing stuff to the thread, but I haven't had any good AFV ideas of late, aside from that M8 Greyhound update, and some T-34/85 and IS-2 upgrades.

The IS-2 probably just getting ERA, Aplique armor, a better engine and a 2A46 125 mm gun replacing the A-19 122mm gun, while the T-34/85 could end up with all sorts of weird modifications, including mini-katyushas using 16-140mm rockets alongside the turret (like a Sherman Tulip,) for area bombardment and things like that.

Having stood out in the snow for 10 mins giving myself a dressing down, I am not really feeling any better but am now considerably colder. Please ignore all previous bottom-lip-trembling references to stopping the thread... a momentary aberration from a fevered mind. T-34/85s and rockets sounds good! :)

Very cool IFV. I would have like to have seen how you put this one together from the very beginning to the end because it doesn't look as complex as most of your other builds, have you ever thought of doing a tutorial?

I'd love to see one of your builds from beginning to end, in hope of improving my own very modest skills.

Very cool IFV. I would have like to have seen how you put this one together from the very beginning to the end because it doesn't look as complex as most of your other builds, have you ever thought of doing a tutorial?

I'd love to see one of your builds from beginning to end, in hope of improving my own very modest skills.

Looks can be surprisingly deceptive! :p I think I have photographed most of the steps, so I'll see what I can put together. Anything to encourage folks to have a go. :)

Looks can be surprisingly deceptive! :p I think I have photographed most of the steps, so I'll see what I can put together. Anything to encourage folks to have a go. :)
After taking a second and longer look I think I see what you mean and yeah I'd love to see the pics of this build.

BTW I'm curious what was posted in the Spec.AFV thread that you thought should go here?

NothingNow

Banned
Please ignore all previous bottom-lip-trembling references to stopping the thread... a momentary aberration from a fevered mind.
Will do.

T-34/85s and rockets sounds good! :)
It's just the thing for a place like Angola if fitted out with say, a mix of Thermobaric and HE-Fragmentation rockets could be pretty devastating.

Set them up for a spread, with the barrels on each side being at +10°, +20°, +30° and +40° degrees from the horizontal, with the traverse being handled by the turret. The rockets would be electrically fired, and would be launched in a volley of either one column on each side, or just a single column.

It'd use the 85mm gun for canister shot, and against other AFVs. Operationally they'd likely operate in conjunction with other T-34/85s, SU-100s or T-55s, and all would likely get ERA tiles on the hull and turret (Just the Mantlet on the T-34/85 MLRS though.)
A piece of ~25mm thick steel would serve as the mounting piece for the rocket tubes, and as spaced armor. The void between the turret and the rocket assembly would probably be filled with Water, Fiberglass, Asbestos or some other handy firestop to make a sort of Composite armor on the cheap.

The other T-34/85s would probably get the same level of upgrades, or be converted to other roles, some being upgraded akin to the Egyptian T-34/100 tank destroyer and T-34/122 SPG, and others being modified to do pretty much anything, like IOTL.

What do you think?

NothingNow

Banned
I'm just wondering, are the rockets so long that you can no longer fully traverse the turret?

Nope. They'd be M14 rockets, and about 1050-80mm long, fired from a ~1400mm tube. They shouldn't block anything, especially if they're mounted properly.

This is a nice illustration of the size:
index.php

Why not have a 3-4 pack on each side in a swivel mount instead? It gives you more flexibility and allows you to ripple fire your whole payload at a target for more Shock and Awe (tm)?

After taking a second and longer look I think I see what you mean and yeah I'd love to see the pics of this build.

BTW I'm curious what was posted in the Spec.AFV thread that you thought should go here?

Oh I was just a little concerned that potentially cool ideas might get lost in the translation as it were. Hopefully, any designs will transfer across. :eek::)

Will do.

It's just the thing for a place like Angola if fitted out with say, a mix of Thermobaric and HE-Fragmentation rockets could be pretty devastating.

Set them up for a spread, with the barrels on each side being at +10°, +20°, +30° and +40° degrees from the horizontal, with the traverse being handled by the turret. The rockets would be electrically fired, and would be launched in a volley of either one column on each side, or just a single column.

It'd use the 85mm gun for canister shot, and against other AFVs. Operationally they'd likely operate in conjunction with other T-34/85s, SU-100s or T-55s, and all would likely get ERA tiles on the hull and turret (Just the Mantlet on the T-34/85 MLRS though.)
A piece of ~25mm thick steel would serve as the mounting piece for the rocket tubes, and as spaced armor. The void between the turret and the rocket assembly would probably be filled with Water, Fiberglass, Asbestos or some other handy firestop to make a sort of Composite armor on the cheap.

The other T-34/85s would probably get the same level of upgrades, or be converted to other roles, some being upgraded akin to the Egyptian T-34/100 tank destroyer and T-34/122 SPG, and others being modified to do pretty much anything, like IOTL.

What do you think?

I'm liking this a lot. :) Having witnessed thermobaric warheads going off, you really would not want to be on the receiving end. :eek:

Please continue this thread Claymore, I enjoy your kit bashing antics and it gives me something to aspire to for my WH 40K army and my TL.

Thank you. Rest assured, I will carry on. :)

NothingNow

Banned
Why not have a 3-4 pack on each side in a swivel mount instead? It gives you more flexibility and allows you to ripple fire your whole payload at a target for more Shock and Awe (tm)?

It'd have eight rockets on each side already. Ripple fire would be flashier, but firing a column makes sure that you're hitting all four targeted zones. Also, the swivel mount would be more complicated to fabricate.

Status
Not open for further replies.