Alternative Origin of Democracy

Anawrahta

Banned
Hello everyone!
Since Mainstream Republican Democracy has its origins in western european tradition, how can democracy(or something like it) arise in other civilizations/regions/culture? I know there was a Kongsi federation known by the Lanfang republic which apparently was a Presidential Republic. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanfang_Republic
What does everyone think?
BTW I'm new to this forum and this is my first thread.

Anawrahta

Banned
If you consider the Athenian democracy to be a democracy (though it was dominated by the citizen upper class), then the Mongol Empire, where the upper class could vote in the Kurultai, could count as a democracy.
Although I meant a Democracy with at least universal male suffrage(or even universal suffrage if possible), I could see a small khanate or khaganate in inner asia gradually transitioning to universal suffrage with its kurultai system.

Deleted member 97083

Although I meant a Democracy with at least universal male suffrage(or even universal suffrage if possible), I could see a small khanate or khaganate in inner asia gradually transitioning to universal suffrage with its kurultai system.
Well, I could be extremely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that in the Golden Horde, anyone who was a Mongol/Tatar and owned a horse could vote in the Kurultai. The entire Mongol class were basically the citizen class.

That would be more democratic than Athens, and about as democratic as some of the early US states, even post-Constitution, which had property qualifications in order to vote.

Anawrahta

Banned
Well, I could be extremely wrong, but I thought I read somewhere that in the Golden Horde, anyone who was a Mongol/Tatar and owned a horse could vote in the Kurultai. The entire Mongol class were basically the citizen class.

That would be more democratic than Athens, and about as democratic as some of the early US states, even post-Constitution, which had property qualifications in order to vote.
I know that the Golden horde khan was chosen by Batu Khan's descendents in the Kurultai. I'm not entirely sure in regards to other decisions however.
Apparently there was an ancient indian kingdom called the Vajji confederacy which apparently was a republic. Centuries of political evolution could culminate in a democracy with universal suffrage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajji

Deleted member 97083

I know that the Golden horde khan was chosen by Batu Khan's descendents in the Kurultai. I'm not entirely sure in regards to other decisions however.
Apparently there was an ancient indian kingdom called the Vajji confederacy which apparently was a republic. Centuries of political evolution could culminate in a democracy with universal suffrage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vajji
There was also the Kingdom of Nri in West Africa which had abolished slavery in the 10th century, and whose leader was a sort of Pope like figure chosen by electors--without a written religious tradition this electorship could perhaps expand to a larger part of the population.

Anawrahta

Banned
There was also the Kingdom of Nri in West Africa which had abolished slavery in the 10th century, and whose leader was a sort of Pope like figure chosen by electors--without a written religious tradition this electorship could perhaps expand to a larger part of the population.
I agree, but apparently the kingdom culturally stagnated and this system never advanced to universal male suffrage. I mean they lasted a whole millenium and they didn't approach such a configuration.
Honestly I've never understood how they stagnated as such.

Anawrahta

Banned
Does that mean universal suffrage arises usually in economically rising societies like Britain and Colonies/US in 18-19th century ?

Deleted member 97083

I agree, but apparently the kingdom culturally stagnated and this system never advanced to universal male suffrage. I mean they lasted a whole millenium and they didn't approach such a configuration.
Honestly I've never understood how they stagnated as such.
Political liberalization/governments becoming more progressive is a relatively recent phenomenon and not a given. Simply because they lasted 1000 years doesn't mean that they naturally would have become more democratic.

For example, the Romans lasted 2000 years, but they spent most of that time becoming more and more of a dynastic despotism.

There were Republican city-states in northeastern India during Antiquity. It would be interesting if that idea spread further through Northern India.

Maybe the concept of ijima in Islam is expanded to include all of the faithful on a certain area rather than just the Ulama. Muftis create laws that are approved by the people.