Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 4

I visited the French archives once again, a bit less content found this time. It was about the organisation and equipment of French armored forces between 1919 and 1924, as in what they intended to do in the long run.
The French were envisionning the following types of tanks
- a light tank armed with machineguns (or a machinegun and a 20mm gun/autocannon or a 37mm gun) around 8-11 tons with a 90hp engine and greater mobility (10kph minimum on tracks), armor against expected infantry weapons (20mm in the front). Basically meant to fight forward, of minimum size and weight to be fielded in large numbers and be easily transportable and use light pontoons.
- two types of support tanks armed with a short 75mm gun. One with good protection and firing directly at targets and in particular tanks, the other was a sort of open top SPG firing indirectly from a safe position.
- a recon tank with minimal armament but greater speed (20kph minimum) and/or protection to be able to move ahead of other formations and probe enemy defenses. Equipped with a radio.
- support tracked vehicles: an APC, a fuel/ammo carrier, a radio tank, a carrier tank or bridgelayer to cross obstacles.
- eventually a heavy breakthrough tank on the lines of the FCM 2C.

One can imagine that the use of tracked carriers for 105, 155 and 194mm guns as seen in late WW1 would continue.

Overall the French system was rather logical and complete for the early 20s, but the lack of funding meant that obviously none of the replacement and special vehicles mentionned saw the light of day in the expected timeframe (by 1925-26). It is only in the early 30s that the B1 and D1 series matured enough to somewhat fill the expected roles of 75mm direct fire tank and light tank imagined since 1920 respectively.

I have learnt about a few specific developments however. One from 1922 or so was a proposed upgrade of the Renault FT as a stopgap until a new tank is fielded in 1926, to remain relevant against the potential proliferation of the German MG 18 TuF heavy machinegun. The core idea was to increase the armor thickness by 10mm in places (so about 26mm at the front and 18mm on the sides if done), adding 700kg. This increase in weight would be compensated by an interesting development of the time: a new cooling and fuel delivery system. The existing cooling system (radiator + fan) was problematic because fan belts broke regularly. A solution by the Bloch-Sautter-Harlé company was what we call an ejector type cooling system, where the energy required to suck the air in and out of the tank is provided by the exhaust gases going through a nozzle. This system would be successfully used in some Soviet vehicles much later, but it was hoped for the FT that it would save an additional 7hp and greatly reduce maintenance requirements.

The other developments were from much later in 1929 or so. There was an idea to modernize the FCM 2C heavy tank by replacing the existing German 2*175hp engines by 2*250hp and increase armor thickness to 45mm everywhere instead of just the front. Additionally, it appears that the French were working on a new model of FT BS casemate (the FT BS was a casemated variant of FT with a short 75mm howitzer), as well as Junkers and Peugeot diesel engines for some unknown tank.

I also read reports from the French advisory committee on weapons from 1936 to 1939, but nothing out of the ordinary concerning tanks, just developments that we already knew about; bar some small info about 37mm SA 38 gun development and tank gun AP performance. More spicy for other weapon categories however.

Great detail and, as always, thanks for sharing! 👍

An Alternative Take on British Cruiser Tanks:

Why is it always the model you want now that suddenly becomes as rare as rocking horse poop! This seemed to be the case for my next donor kit for my Alt British Cruisers series - namely the Bronco Models A13 Mk II Cruiser Tank IVA. Out of stock everywhere or only available from overseas with shipping costs that would require me to remortgage my house! That is until this evening when I managed to track down a single kit in Halifax - Halifax, West Yorkshire that is, not Canada - Halifax Modellers World. Let’s hear it for the small retailers everywhere - what a gem! 👍😎👍

An Alternative Take on Bristish Cruiser Tanks Update:

With the good news of more cruiser-kit-goodness on the way (see above), I thought it only polite to post an update on the progress of my alt British cruiser tank project. So here we are with the build phase of both complete and the joys of painting about to start...

Alt Mk VIII Cruiser Tank (A27M) Cromwell:

Early 3.jpg

Early 4.jpg

Early 5.jpg

Alt Mk VI Cruiser Tank (A15) Crusader III:

Early 2.jpg

Early 3.jpg

Early 4.jpg

With the good news of more cruiser-kit-goodness on the way (see above), I thought it only polite to post an update on the progress of my alt British cruiser tank project. So here we are with the build phase of both complete and the joys of painting about to start...

View attachment 886660

View attachment 886661

View attachment 886662

View attachment 886663

View attachment 886664

View attachment 886665
Honestly they look damn good.

Yep, they look great. I've always loved the british 1939-1940 tanks, and wondered what would happen if they had been properly developed further.

View attachment 886660

View attachment 886661

View attachment 886662

View attachment 886663

View attachment 886664

View attachment 886665
Pretty cool. :cool:

Both tanks look really convincing and possible, totaly top class modelling as always.
Alt Mk VI Cruiser Tank (A15) Crusader III: what is the actual new width of the tank when scaled up? Would the much wider tracks effect the handling of the tank. I assume also the ground pressure would be very much reduced (almost by one third in my estimate) which should make a real improvement in cross country performance.

Both tanks look really convincing and possible, totaly top class modelling as always.
Alt Mk VI Cruiser Tank (A15) Crusader III: what is the actual new width of the tank when scaled up? Would the much wider tracks effect the handling of the tank. I assume also the ground pressure would be very much reduced (almost by one third in my estimate) which should make a real improvement in cross country performance.

Actual width of the scaled up Alt Crusader III would be 3.01m - an increase of 12cm each side. Effects? Some but as you say ground pressure would be less and, importantly, maintenance and reliability in the field would be much better. Also build quality control would be much easier for those companies forced into the unfamiliar world of AFV construction.

Great work as always @Claymore with the two builds - do you have any idea as to the colour scheme that you will paint each of them? I keep thinking about the Crusader in the desert btw.

Many thanks. Yup, the Crusader will be in later desert camo (possibly sand and black) and the Cromwell in NW Europe green. The earlier A13 Mk II Cruiser Mk IVA (when built) will be in the earlier 3-colour Caunter scheme camo.

Whoop, whoop! New kit arrived today - standard parcel post and it only took 2 and a half days - remarkable! 👍

The kit itself looks like a typical Bronco offering - crisp, detailed and extremely complex. Why cast a component in one piece when you can cast it in twenty or more? That each tiny piece is measured on the subatomic scale is neither here nor there! Should be fun! 🤔👍🙂

Last edited:

The production line is in full swing - paint, glue and plastic flying in all directions!!

Med 1.jpg

Mid 1.jpg

Alt Mk IVA Cruiser Tank (A13 Mk II):

Early 1.jpg

Early 2.jpg

Early 3.jpg

Early 4.jpg

I think the best thing about the 'non-Christy' conversions is how natural it looks.
Like if you weren't paying attention or didn't know what had changed you could totally miss the suspension's different.