Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 4

max 7t of weight, but cargohold doesn't seem high enough for an AFV with turret

Cabin Internal Height: 1.83m
Cabin Internal Length: 14.02m
Cabin Internal Width: 2.44m

That sounds like barely enough room and weight capacity for three WWII-sized jeeps with small ATGM launchers...not a tank or SPG, or even a minimal armored car.

A modern MBT would use up the lion's share of that weight capacity just for its crew and its fuel and ammo loads.

Can't fit anything, I think.

The Wiesel 1 seem to, just, fit (with a full millimeter clearance for height...)
Yeah but who'd risk that... other than that, even from that era there's nothing. The ONTOS, for examples is 20cm too high. Even the old Series I/II Land Rovers won't fit, unless maybe there is a version with folding windscreen & sides. Start thinking about bikes...

Can't fit anything, I think.

Yeah but who'd risk that... other than that, even from that era there's nothing. The ONTOS, for examples is 20cm too high. Even the old Series I/II Land Rovers won't fit, unless maybe there is a version with folding windscreen & sides. Start thinking about bikes...
Landrovers have traditionally folding windscreens and side windows. Their canvas tilt is removable. Bikes are old hat, they offer no protection, in the powered type they are noisy and smelly. In the unpowered type, they cannot climb hills without assistance. They are a waste of time and money.

Landrovers have traditionally folding windscreens and side windows. Their canvas tilt is removable. Bikes are old hat, they offer no protection, in the powered type they are noisy and smelly. In the unpowered type, they cannot climb hills without assistance. They are a waste of time and money.
I know bikes have problems, but at least they can be air transported. And, depending on terrain and needs, they can have better all-terrain mobility that even a Land Rover, and still carry some cargo. Better some mobility than none.

The madness continues. Here comes the TOG 2 MRPST

The TOG 2 Multiple Rocket Projector Support Tank, or "Churchill's Cigars". Using two diferent models of rockets the TOG MRPST was designed to be able to eitther blanket a wide area with multiple light HE rockets, or demolish small buildings or bunkers with the heavier, side mounted rockets. The main gun was replaced by a .50cal heavy machine gun.

(yes, I got the rocket MLRS from the Sherman Caliope, the side mounts from the Sd. Kfz. 251/1 Wurfrahmen)

tog_2_multiple_rocket_projector_support_tank_by_jlvfr_dgl9iog-fullview.jpg

The madness continues. Here comes the TOG 2 MRPST

The TOG 2 Multiple Rocket Projector Support Tank, or "Churchill's Cigars". Using two diferent models of rockets the TOG MRPST was designed to be able to eitther blanket a wide area with multiple light HE rockets, or demolish small buildings or bunkers with the heavier, side mounted rockets. The main gun was replaced by a .50cal heavy machine gun.

(yes, I got the rocket MLRS from the Sherman Caliope, the side mounts from the Sd. Kfz. 251/1 Wurfrahmen)

tog_2_multiple_rocket_projector_support_tank_by_jlvfr_dgl9iog-fullview.jpg
it is a TOG, british, so i would imagine that it would fit a land mattress instead

64110-0ff14d66fa7e2d2a61c61b4751e2a385.jpg

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
max 7t of weight, but cargohold doesn't seem high enough for an AFV with turret

Cabin Internal Height: 1.83m
Cabin Internal Length: 14.02m
Cabin Internal Width: 2.44m

One question; are you using the dimensions and load capacity of the prototype (model Y) or the proposed larger production model Z with RR Dart engines and beaver tail?

it is a TOG, british, so i would imagine that it would fit a land mattress instead

While there, make sure the mg is a Vickers 0.5".
'It may be a poor gun but by God it's one of ours!'

Thought about it, but the versions I could find were of very poor quality, even for these basic schematics.
Vickers 0.5
On a turret? Nononono...

ctayfor

Monthly Donor
Model Z:
fuselage length: 19.66m, height: 7.06m,
internal cabin length: 15.24m,
cargo payload: 8392kg,
loaded weight: 24267kg,
cruising speed: 322km/h,
max range: 1046km,
The fuselage height shows an increase of 30 cm, but I can't find the width. My book of the Fairey Rotodyne seems to have gone missing and my Google-fu seems to be inadequate. Can any one else help?

Incidentally, I was mistaken about the engines. The Napier Elands were to be replaced by RR Tynes, not Darts. Darts were used in some of the tipjet trials.

Last edited: