Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Germans were all over it with their Wiesel tankette…

The Wiesels were very interesting to watch in Afghanistan. It was sort of unusual to see an Italian helicopter lifting a German tank.
HPIM1106 (2).JPG

Last edited:
In other words, recoilless rifles were great for infantry in the days before small AT missiles but really a bit of a waste of time, range and efficiency for an AFVs other than that a larger calibre round could be fire and a certain saving in all up weight.
That's because you're using it like a regular cannon. The way to use recoilless rifles on AFVs is to mount a whole bunch of them like an M50 Ontos (which normal cannons are too heavy and have too much recoil for) and then it becomes useful, like a multiple rocket launcher in direct fire.

That's because you're using it like a regular cannon. The way to use recoilless rifles on AFVs is to mount a whole bunch of them like an M50 Ontos (which normal cannons are too heavy and have too much recoil for) and then it becomes useful, like a multiple rocket launcher in direct fire.

Quite so my good fellow, but that is what @Rickshaw asked for. 😉👍

Honestly my ears start ringing as soon as I look at that AMX with a 120 MM RR and think about it firing. Let alone when the #3 Riflemen pokes his head up to look for a hand signal from his section commander, only to be surprised by the mother of all booms.
Invariably voice, rather than hand signals are used when operating with armour. Armour prevents you from seeing much because of dust, exhaust and so on. Voice is a surer communication method and as the noise of the vehicle make sure the enemy knows of your presence anyway, the need for stealth is ended...

The problem with the Ontos is that once the Rcls have fired, the vehicle has to exit the battlezone to reload. My vehicle is equipped with an autoloader, it does not need to exit the battlezone until all it's rounds are deleted.

marathag

Banned
Honestly my ears start ringing as soon as I look at that AMX with a 120 MM RR and think about it firing. Let alone when the #3 Riflemen pokes his head up to look for a hand signal from his section commander, only to be surprised by the mother of all booms.
Ringing ears?
T31 Sherman Demolition Tank is the fix for that
1483094290_t31-demolition-tank-3.jpg

1483094291_t31-demolition-tank-5.jpg

Flamethrower, two 7.2" rocket launcher with a revolver reloading on each side, two .30s and a .50 cherry on top

As it was, the Australians were pretty full on in their developmental ideas for the Sentinel with variants to be armed with a variety of weapons ranging from 2pdr, to 6pdr, to 17pdr and even twin 25pdrs! Short of railguns and death rays, the Sentinel saw it all!! Shame that it dropped... 😟

As for other AH Australian AFVs, check out Post #57 on Page 3 of my Completed Models Thread (link below) for the Phar Lap.

IIRC, the twin 25-pdr mount was done to test if the chassis/turret could handle the recoil of a 17-pdr by firing both guns at once. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare the twin 25-pdrs would be to load in the event it entered service.

I mean, a high profile can be an issue, but it had not stopped the Egyptians from fitting an AMX-13 turret and gun on a Sherman. It's probably an example the Israelis probably took to heart after capturing one and designing the M-50 & M-51.

640px-M4A4-AMX-13-latrun-2.jpg

The Egyptian M4/AMX-13 hybrid and the Israeli M-50 were contemporary designs from the mid 1950s, one wasn't influenced from the other. This stems from the fact that the French were helping out both countries pretty much simultaneously.

IIRC, the twin 25-pdr mount was done to test if the chassis/turret could handle the recoil of a 17-pdr by firing both guns at once. I can only imagine how much of a nightmare the twin 25-pdrs would be to load in the event it entered service.
Otoh, perfect steampunk/warhammer 40k vehicle...

Otoh, perfect steampunk/warhammer 40k vehicle...
The AE1 independent would make a great steampunk land battleship if you made the turrets out of rivetted brass and copper.
The Char 2c would also be good for steampunk. Add a funnel and a few casemated secondary guns (initially 37mm infantry guns with a few 13.2mm). The OTL 105mm armed variant - preferably upgunned to a 155 - would look about right.
Sadly I lack the artistic skills to do them justice.

I wonder what a light tank based on the M113 would look like. Not the Australian FSV or the Israeli one with the 60mm HV turret, but one where the height of the body of the vehicle is reduced a bit and then a turret placed on top. Low velocity 105mm gun perhaps?

marathag

Banned
I wonder what a light tank based on the M113 would look like. Not the Australian FSV or the Israeli one with the 60mm HV turret, but one where the height of the body of the vehicle is reduced a bit and then a turret placed on top. Low velocity 105mm gun perhaps?
M114A2_Command_and_Reconnaissance_Carrier.jpg

M114 variant
T114%2BBAT%2B%25281%2529.jpg

T114 BATwwith 106mmRR

It was never intended to enter service! It was purely a test vehicle. They couldn't source a 17 Pdr from the UK but wanted to test the Sentinel mounting one so hit upon use two 25 Pdrs simulteanously. It was not intended as a service mounting. The turret was loaded and then vacated when the weapon was fired. Its greatest contribution was to the development of the Firefly. The British read about it and decided to mount a 17 Pdr in a Sherman turret.

For a British mid 1960's fire support vehicle how about an Abbot chassis with the Saladin Turret?
View attachment 716141
View attachment 716142

just stick with a complete abbot i'd say, probably better terrain capabilities

wietze is probably right about the Abbot as a dedicated Fire Support Vehicle but a tracked reconnaissance version of the Abbot might be fun and in keeping with the overall FV432 family. I present the FV444 Scarab AVR(T) - mounting the 76mm gunned Saladin turret and capable of carrying a couple of dismounts...

FV444 Scarab AVR(T).png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.