Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold War Era IJA MBT's

J    Type 15 w 90mm.png

J    Type 20 w 12.cm-x.png

A request by ThirdyLovesAH

OK here's my first take on this idea, I say first because I want to do another one but here's what we got now.
View attachment 704245
I started with an E-50 hull because that may be the direction the Germans would have taken post war had they won. The premise I'm using here is that the Italians are following the Germans lead but doing things a bit simpler, I changed the suspension because I cant see the Italians going with an interleaved wheel suspension but they would have to upgrade to a torsion bar suspension for sure.

The suspension here is from a Marder IFV. The turret is also from the E-50 but I gave it the Leo-1's gun mantlet, sights and smoke grenade launcher, the 105mm gun came from one of Claymore's old pics,

So a lot of German bits but I feel it has a simpler Italian look to it, a sort of good enough attitude about it.

Open to suggestions and critiques for the second version I plan to make.
Actually, I'd expect the Italians to take a more independent approach. Ansaldo-Fiat had notoriously high influence on the fascist regime and rejected even local production of German tanks when it was offered, instead suggesting indigenous designs.

We're more likely to see a modern take on the P43 program instead.

Actually, I'd expect the Italians to take a more independent approach. Ansaldo-Fiat had notoriously high influence on the fascist regime and rejected even local production of German tanks when it was offered, instead suggesting indigenous designs.

We're more likely to see a modern take on the P43 program instead.
I agree but always felt Ansaldo-Fiat was made up of major A-holes so went in another direction.

Last edited:
Is the shitty impression of the Italian tanks are true or is it overhyped? What can be done to avoid it or help Italian armor?
They're true, Ansaldo-Fiat had a monopoly on Italian AFV designs and refused to incorporate any ideas from outside sources.
The only way things could have been improved IMO would be if Mussolini sicked the Mafia on em (Ansaldo-Fiat). I even used that premise in a background story for an alt-Italian tank once.

marathag

Banned
They're true, Ansaldo-Fiat had a monopoly on Italian AFV designs and refused to incorporate any ideas from outside sources.
The only way things could have been improved IMO would be if Mussolini sicked the Mafia on em (Ansaldo-Fiat). I even used that premise in a background story for an alt-Italian tank once.
rather than being the only major power to keep Ford and his modern Factories out of the country, the Moose embraces Fordism

I agree but always felt Ansaldo-Fiat was made up of major A-holes so went in another direction.
Can't blame you for that yeah. OTO actually nearly got a contract in 1941 to build Pz IIIs and a new factory so that could be the starting point for German-style Italian vehicles in the long run.
Is the shitty impression of the Italian tanks are true or is it overhyped? What can be done to avoid it or help Italian armor?
As pointed out by Cortz, the biggest problem is that almost all Italian military companies were nationalized and owned by fascist higher-ups competing between each other and working for profit. Ansaldo eventually got a monopoly on tanks and Fiat on tank engines to the detriment of OTO and state design bureaus, which meant that they had no reason to compete on the quality front and could go cheap on everything. This is why Ansaldo stopped welding tanks after the first batch of CV33s.

A separate problem is that the lead designer at Ansaldo, Engineer Rosini, was the one calling the shots so the entire Italian tank development process by the late 30s depended on a single man. Unfortunately, his conclusion on WW1 tanks was that the small FT was much better than the heavy Mark tanks. He thought small tanks would be more nimble and harder to see and hit, and that small caliber guns could fire faster and so had greater chance to hit, including on the move. He said in 1937 that a heavy breakthrough tank should weigh about 15 tons.

Of course, these ideas worked very poorly in practice, and led Italian tank development to be somewhat blind to what was happening in the rest of the world.

marathag

Banned
He said in 1937 that a heavy breakthrough tank should weigh about 15 tons.
Though had they put their minds to it, could have made an early M-24/AMX-13 type light tank early in the War
They had lightweight Aero engines, Torsion bar, and use the light 75mm/L27 and 13.2mm HMG in a turret

Though had they put their minds to it, could have made an early M-24/AMX-13 type light tank early in the War
They had lightweight Aero engines, Torsion bar, and use the light 75mm/L27 and 13.2mm HMG in a turret
I forgot, for some reason Rosini didn't want to use aircraft engines either. We truly needed OTO to remain a competitor.

Well the fat dude in the red suit has been remarkably generous this year and with 3 x kits and a new tool set I will be ready for some New Year whiffing.

Kits? An FT-17 for the Norwegian Truge conversion, a Valentine and a M8 GMC - @cortz#9 guess where this is going! 👍😉

Last edited:
Indeed, Italian armour development was rather hindered by needing to search the couch cushions for whatever funding they could get the Italian Navy (genuinely quite good) and the Italian Air Force (actually pretty decent) had left behind.
Given the battles they expected to fight, the relative lack of funding for tanks is understandable. Italy is rather like Japan in that regard.

marathag

Banned
Isn't that the model that Ethiopians managed to put out of commission by hopping on, knocking on the hatch, and beheading the crew when they opened it?
the need for locking hatches wasn't seen as needed, until you actually had close assaults to AFVs

Well the fat dude in the red suit has been remarkably generous this year and with 3 x kits and a new tool set I will be ready for some New Year whiffing.

Kits? An FT-17 for the Norwegian Truge conversion, a Valentine and a M8 GMC - @cortz#9 guess where this is going! 👍😉
Someone must've been a good boy this year, surprised it was you. :p
I cant wait to see the Wolverine, honored to know one of my designs is coming to life, of sorts that is and Garrison deserves credit for thinking it up as well.

marathag

Banned
Alas they are true, this is an example of the most common Italian 'AFVs' in 1941:
Though were made to fight here
1640477027082.jpeg

The Italian Occupazione Avanzata Frontiera Nord (Occupation Northern Boundary Advance) at the end of WWI and continued by the Moose as the 'Alpine Wall', the armor used in the valleys between the forts

Status
Not open for further replies.