Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
not that the amtanks were all that suited, being 26 feet long, taller than a Sherman, having basically no gun depression, and only 38mm of armour at most.
26 feet is the hull length of a m1 Abrams. There is room in the LVT-4 to thicken armor without expanding the hull as well, due to all the excess cargo space available.

It's combat history in WW2 shows it capable of dealing with a wide variety of terrain issues as well. It also has better water speed and water operational distance than the LVTH-6

It's only issue would be it's height, but it's worth it considering all the other uses you can get out of it.

Not saying it's the perfect design, but it would make more sense than making a tank out of the LVTH-6, which is what you suggested.

As a result of Manticore's split between the Royal Corps of Lancers and Dragoons within Cavalry Branch, I've been considering the possibility of different "light" and "heavy" main battle tanks rather than a single vehicle. Lancer Regiments are the "line" tank battalions, grouped with mechanized infantry companies in battlegroups under the control of the Armored Corps' divisions and brigades. The Dragoons are similar in concept to the American Armored Cavalry Regiment, as a corps- or division-level asset providing a strong and highly mobile screen in front of the main force. My basic thinking, for example, would put a more heavily armored tank like the M60, Centurion, or even the Chieftain in the Lancer Regiments and a lighter tank like the Leopard 1 or AMX-30 in the Dragoon Regiments.

This example might lead to requirements for a 15 hp/ton PWR for the Lancer tank (standard for WWII tanks) and a 20 hp/ton PWR for the Dragoon tank. With the 800 hp engines available through the 1950s and 1960s, this would put weight limits of 53 tons on the Lancer tank and 40 tons on the Dragoon tank. Optimally, the tanks would be visually identical, with extra weight added only to the Lancer tank's castings or welded plates, and would therefore share propulsion, crew stations, weapons systems, etc... The objective gun in the late 1940s to mid 1950s would basically be a 90 mm L/55+ gun with bottleneck cartridges roughly equivalent to the M41 or the 20-pdr. This could probably be replaced with the 105 mm L7 later in life, as in the Centurion and M48.

Here's an overview of the tanks outlined and/or planned for Manticore v4.3.

Medium M1921: These began as assault guns based on the US Medium M1921 tank with a hull-mounted 3"/28 field gun. In the 1930s, the vehicles were converted to tanks with 3"/18 howitzers in turrets. Claymore did these drawings of the initial assault gun with the Renault F1 turret. I just noticed that the gun mount in the hull comes from the Char B1, which used a fixed-azimuth mount and thus aimed the gun by turning the vehicle; my intention with this assault gun would be to have a flexible mount and a separate driver and gunner. The gun barrel would also be somewhat longer, I suspect extending out to roughly the front of the track. The turret on the tank variant would probably be somewhat smaller than the drawing and would have a roof.
1623712234514.png
1623712250245.png

Vickers Medium Mark D: This is the tank from the late 1920s. It is derived from the Vickers Medium Mark II but has a rear drive with a more powerful engine and a larger turret. One example was sold to the Irish Free State with some kind of 6-pdr gun, probably related to the Hotchkiss gun used on British WWI heavy tanks. This piece has a single recoil cylinder above the barrel; it is exposed in front of the Mark D's turret front but was concealed by armor on the Mark IV and later heavy tanks. The picture below is from the Tank Encyclopedia page and shows an MG position on the hull side. There is also one in the turret rear. My thinking is that removing all of these extraneous (to Manticore) MGs would allow the turret, mantlet, and turret ring to be enlarged sufficiently to fit a 3"/28 field gun.
1623712869660.png

Vickers Medium Mark III: This would be the primary tank in production through the first half of the 1930s. My intention is to take the original vehicle and eliminate the forward sub-turrets in favor of an actual driver's position and a hull-mounted MG, and then increase the size of the turret to fit a 3"/28 field gun. This concept has stayed relatively constant for quite a while, and I drew the image below in April 2020 with components (turret, MG mount, driver's hatches) from a Neubaufahrzeug drawing.
1623713249513.png

Landsverk Lago medium tank: In the previous iteration, an 18-ton variant of the earlier Lago design was produced for a few years as a light-role tank with a Czech 47 mm AT gun. Here, a vehicle broadly equivalent to the Stridsvagn m/42 is built during the 1936 and 1937 production years. The vehicle will weigh roughly 22 tons, with a 3"/28 field gun and armor up to 2 inches, and will run on 12 road wheels (6 per side) on torsion bar suspension. This is a considerable advancement of the OTL schedule, where the m/42 wasn't delivered until April 1943, but it is driven by significantly more rapid development after the Landsverk L-60 is selected as the light tank to replace the Vickers Light Mark III in the mid 1930s. The switch to front-drive sets up the arrangement (rear engine, front drive, 3-man turret) of the remaining WWII-era Manticoran tanks, which is shared with the Americans and Germans. The image from Wikipedia is sufficiently representative of the Manticoran vehicle.
1623713702675.png

Medium 25-ton medium tank: Here is where Manticoran tank engineering really becomes independent from foreign engineering influence. In 1938, we move more aggressively to a concept of shared vehicle platforms, with tanks, artillery, APCs, command vehicles, etc.. sharing automotive and hull components. The medium tank is the heaviest tank in production, only because a heavy tank similar to the KV is rejected due to poor mobility and reliability. The tank has a 3"/40 gun similar to the 76.2 mm F-34 on the T-34, up to 2 inches of armor, a 5-man crew, and a 325 hp engine. It is broadly comparable to an early-war T-34 or a later Pz IV. The vehicle and associated vehicles will be built during the production years 1938, 1939, and 1940. I made the image below from a stretched Chaffee hull, a Pz IIIL turret, and a 75 mm Pak 97/38 with the muzzle brake cut off. I anticipate that the gun to be used will be the Soviet 76.2 mm divisional gun M1902/30 (the long-barrel conversion), which is available from stocks captured during the intervention in the Russian Civil War and pieces purchased from Schneider (who provided the design to the Putilov works in St. Petersburg) to equip the intervention force. Additional new pieces may be procured as necessary to arm additional tanks.
1623716867707.png

Medium 30-ton medium tank: This vehicle will be in production for the 1941 and 1942 production years. It is a direct replacement for the Medium 25-ton medium tank and was quickly brought into production in response to Soviet heavy tanks encountered in the Winter War. The tank has a longer 3"/50 gun, up to 2.5 inches of armor, a 5-man crew, and a 450 hp engine. The image below is what I made in August 2020, from a T-34M hull and turret and a Panther gun. The gun was shortened from the original and the T-34M's turret was moved slightly rearward to reflect the rear-engine, front-drive layout.
1623717328882.png

Medium 40-ton medium tank: This is the next iteration of the medium tank program, fielded in response to heavier tanks like the Soviet IS and the German Tiger I. With the weight increase, the gun is upgraded to a US 90 mm M3, hull and turret armor increases to 3 inches, and power increases to 600 hp. I made the image below in August 2020 from a 44M Tas hull, an M26 turret, and an stretched M26 suspension. My intention is that turret armor would be closer to the T25 (roughly 3 inches) rather than the T26 (roughly 4 inches). It may be possible to upgrade these vehicles to later US 90 mm guns like the more powerful 90 mm Gun T54, which was installed in Pershing turrets as part of testing.
1623717909278.jpeg

Medium 50-ton medium tank: This is the vehicle that will be built beginning in the 1945 production year. Production will continue as necessary in the post-war period. The main purpose of the vehicle is to introduce a larger gun matching the 88mm L/71 on the Tiger II. My intention is a 90 mm L/60 with a 90 x 600 mm (R/150mm+) similar to the 90 mm Gun T54 mounted on the M26E1 medium tank, which would be somewhat more powerful than the QF 20-pdr. This could be exchanged for the 105 mm L7 at a later date, which would provide a gun only slightly more powerful but lighter and with better AP and HEAT ammunition. I made the below drawing in 2018, indicating a hull design somewhat similar to the Panther, with a rear-engine, rear-drive, and a 750 hp+ engine. The turret is very loosely inspired by the Panzerfront E79. Considering the increase in size, I suspect a vehicle like this would be somewhat lightly armored compared to a Centurion or a Patton due to the presence of large sponsons. An alternate option for the time and weight range would be the T32 heavy tank, which was a stretched Pershing with the 90 mm Gun T15 seen on the Super Pershing (T26E4) and significantly heavier armor than a normal Pershing.
1623719153346.jpeg

Medium Tank for the 1960s: This decade has become somewhat of a blindspot for me, mostly because I have never gotten to this point in my TL so I have never had to answer these questions. Compared to the Centurion and M48 Patton, the Medium 50-ton tank remains competitive as long as it gets the 105 mm L7 or a comparable gun. However, the British went for an increase in firepower with the Chieftain's 120 mm L11A5. While not as large as the 120 mm Gun M58 on the M103 and Conqueror, it did represent a fairly significant increase in capability over the 105 mm L7. My primary options here are going to be in the realm of the 105 mm Gun T140 and the 105 mm Gun T210, though I think the 800 cubic inch case on the T210 may require two loaders (the M58 had a 1,021 cu in case). The 120 mm M256 has a 670 cu in case and requires a single loader. I think the optimal solution here might be something along the lines of a 105 mm version of the 90 mm Gun T208, which is an early smoothbore, with a ~500 cu in case and chamber pressure around 54,000 psi. These early smoothbore guns were tested as part of the T95 project in the late 1950s and could be in service around 1960 with concerted development, like the Soviet 115 mm U-5TS in the T-62. Engineering at this point is leaning towards castings as the way to maximize both armor and interior volume compared to welded turrets and hulls, so the result may look more like the Patton than the Panther. The below image from Wikimedia is of the T54E2, essentially an M48 hull and a larger turret with a T140 gun, which appears in World of Tanks as the M54 Renegade, though the real turret was not nearly that heavily armored.
1623726053569.png

Medium Tank for the 1970s: By the mid to late 1960s, we get a new and fairly magical feature in the form of 1,500 hp diesel engines like the AVCR-1790 and the MTU 873 with extra turbos, digital controls, improved cooling, and variable compression ratios. Weight is no longer limited by mobility and therefore PWR but by logistical concerns like bridging. We also get the introduction of composite armor, which generally provides protection equivalent to a similar depth of RHA at a significantly lighter weight. Ultimately the problem is that the size of these more powerful engines and larger guns like the 120 mm Delta gun will force the mass budget to be spent on increasing the volume of the vehicle rather than the armor. If we stay within the 50-ton weight limit, the resulting vehicle would look like the Leopard 2K. One of the problems with composite armor at this point is that packages like Burlington were not really ready until about 1980, so the most we might be looking at is rubber mats between layers of spaced armor. An alternate turret form for this might look more like the MBT-70 with very large curved forward plates and a similarly large mantlet.
Kampfpanzer_Leopard-2_Prototyp_Glattrohrkanone_120mm.jpg

Main Battle Tank for the 1980s: By this point, we absolutely need a turret design that can handle composite armor blocks. The M1's symmetric shape is clearly better compared to the Leopard's placement of the gunner's optics in the turret front, but the Leopard's flat turret front would probably be more amenable to armor upgrades. Gun and engine choices remain the same while weight will probably rise to 65 tons to use the capabilities provided by MLC70 equipment. My main intention with the tank in the 1970s is to introduce some of the equipment that sets 3rd generation MBTs apart from the 2nd generation by up to a decade earlier than the main NATO countries. Once we define a 3rd generation MBT in the 1980s, that design will basically be locked in until a tank with an uncrewed turret like the T-14 Armata becomes a possibility in the 2010s.

Medium Tank for the 1970s: By the mid to late 1960s, we get a new and fairly magical feature in the form of 1,500 hp diesel engines like the AVCR-1790 and the MTU 873 with extra turbos, digital controls, improved cooling, and variable compression ratios. Weight is no longer limited by mobility and therefore PWR but by logistical concerns like bridging. We also get the introduction of composite armor, which generally provides protection equivalent to a similar depth of RHA at a significantly lighter weight. Ultimately the problem is that the size of these more powerful engines and larger guns like the 120 mm Delta gun will force the mass budget to be spent on increasing the volume of the vehicle rather than the armor. If we stay within the 50-ton weight limit, the resulting vehicle would look like the Leopard 2K. One of the problems with composite armor at this point is that packages like Burlington were not really ready until about 1980, so the most we might be looking at is rubber mats between layers of spaced armor. An alternate turret form for this might look more like the MBT-70 with very large curved forward plates and a similarly large mantlet.
Kampfpanzer_Leopard-2_Prototyp_Glattrohrkanone_120mm.jpg

Main Battle Tank for the 1980s: By this point, we absolutely need a turret design that can handle composite armor blocks. The M1's symmetric shape is clearly better compared to the Leopard's placement of the gunner's optics in the turret front, but the Leopard's flat turret front would probably be more amenable to armor upgrades. Gun and engine choices remain the same while weight will probably rise to 65 tons to use the capabilities provided by MLC70 equipment. My main intention with the tank in the 1970s is to introduce some of the equipment that sets 3rd generation MBTs apart from the 2nd generation by up to a decade earlier than the main NATO countries. Once we define a 3rd generation MBT in the 1980s, that design will basically be locked in until a tank with an uncrewed turret like the T-14 Armata becomes a possibility in the 2010s.
Well actually Burlington was ready since 1969, it was improved since but it was already very good. Same goes for other composite armor like the Soviet spaced layout with low density filler.
The reason it wasn't deployed earlier was more because vehicles that could carry it were cancelled/delayed were not ready for other reasons, but if you play it well you can definitely have your 70's vehicle with composites.
Now if your story is that the tank was designed before composites were developped in this fictional country yes spaced is logical.

One of the problems with composite armor at this point is that packages like Burlington were not really ready until about 1980, so the most we might be looking at is rubber mats between layers of spaced armor.
That's pretty much what Burlington is.
The M1's symmetric shape is clearly better compared to the Leopard's placement of the gunner's optics in the turret front, but the Leopard's flat turret front would probably be more amenable to armor upgrades.
The K2's turret has a good shape and optics location (best to put optics and sensors on top for turret-down use where possible).

Well actually Burlington was ready since 1969, it was improved since but it was already very good. Same goes for other composite armor like the Soviet spaced layout with low density filler.
The reason it wasn't deployed earlier was more because vehicles that could carry it were cancelled/delayed were not ready for other reasons, but if you play it well you can definitely have your 70's vehicle with composites.
Now if your story is that the tank was designed before composites were developped in this fictional country yes spaced is logical.
The research I had done did not indicate that Burlington was more or less three layers of spaced steel plates with gap-fillers and a flexible backing. The design goal of resistance against RPG warheads does explain why the Merkava Mk 4 has such a strangely shaped turret. If that is the case, Burlington armor specifically is not a benchmark and spaced armor with gap-fillers more dense than air (like rubber mats in NERA or siliceous cored armor in the T95) has been in consideration since the late 1950s. Ceramic arrays embedded within the spaced steel armor plates represent another benchmark, but likely not one as important as integrated multi-layer armor arrays like what drove the design of the blocky turrets of 3rd gen MBTs.

Where Western tanks really begin to fall behind their Soviet counterparts is with the T-62 and its smoothbore gun introduced in 1961 and the T-64A with composite armor and 125 mm gun introduced around 1968. My goal is to avoid this capability gap with a functional counterpart to the Chieftain, with markedly more capable guns and armor than the preceding generation of Pattons and Centurions. However, through the 1960s we are probably limited to roughly 50 tons by the capability of extant engines, so designing in this time period requires a lot more sacrifices than with the 60 and 70 ton monsters of the 1980s.
The K2's turret has a good shape and optics location (best to put optics and sensors on top for turret-down use where possible).
The K2 shaves some weight from having the turret front armor arrays only take up half of the effective height of the turret. The top half of the turret is armored from the front only by virtue of a very sharply sloped turret roof, which also means that the optics and equipment on the turret roof are somewhat more exposed and vulnerable than they might otherwise be. When designs like the Altay and K2PL based on the 55-ton K2 are allowed to increase in weight to 65 tons, they both get full-height turret front armor. On the other hand, the newer Altay prototype turrets have shorter fronts and look more like the Leclerc than the Leopard, which might indicate weight issues or significant changes in the armor scheme.

Let's say that the US wants a real amphibious tank for Vietnam to fight in and around the Mekong River and other swampy areas in the country.

Would it be possible to bring back the LVT-4 design, make slight armor and engine upgrades to it, and then mount a Sheridan tank turret on the top with a gyro-stabilizer for the gun so it could shoot accurately while in the water?

Could this atl LVT still have enough hull space to transport a tiny group of infantryman as well?

Edit: Just read that the Sheridan was amphibious, didn't know that. Oh well, although according to wiki, it needed a floatation screen similar to ww2 amphibious tanks used on D-Day, which seems pretty inefficient.

Something a little like this perhaps (original LVT-4 drawing is fairly shocking but all I could find)...

LVT(A)-5.png

I was trying to take Claymore’s drawing of the MBT-70 with the British 120 mm gun and modify it by removing parts I considered unnecessary for my purposes, but it began to look like such a struggle that I drew it by hand, which had the added benefit of allowing me to use a better perspective.
E3-nvVJXMAQUT2S
1024px-MBT-70_turret.JPG

This is actually just a tracing of the drawing from Hunnicutt of an MBT-70 turret on the Wikipedia page. I removed the autocannon barbette, the "transmitter", shifted the left-side turret crewman's hatch rearward because he is now a loader, and moved the gunner's primary sight from the front slope of the turret to the roof. The MBT-70 used a fairly interesting and somewhat effective - for its weight - arrangement of air-gap spaced armor. I think it could have been upgraded to use a dense gap-filler like rubber to improved protection against shaped charges, but the MBT-70 was already perilously close to the 50 ton weight limit that was required to use equipment and bridging designed for the Patton tanks.

The research I had done did not indicate that Burlington was more or less three layers of spaced steel plates with gap-fillers and a flexible backing. The design goal of resistance against RPG warheads does explain why the Merkava Mk 4 has such a strangely shaped turret. If that is the case, Burlington armor specifically is not a benchmark and spaced armor with gap-fillers more dense than air (like rubber mats in NERA or siliceous cored armor in the T95) has been in consideration since the late 1950s. Ceramic arrays embedded within the spaced steel armor plates represent another benchmark, but likely not one as important as integrated multi-layer armor arrays like what drove the design of the blocky turrets of 3rd gen MBTs.
While the only pictures we have of Burlington are the 1969 version applied to Chieftain Mk 5/2, it's clear that the front arrays rely on relatively thick front (burster) and back plates, with 3 to 6 light NERA biscuits inside. The British version is particularly angled, while the M1 Abrams uses functionally the same layout with less need for angling.

These layouts were already excellent against shaped charges, but were quite inefficient against KE threats because the KE protection was almost entirely reliant on the front and backplates due to the very thin plates used for NERA, and there wasn't that much steel in the first place. The Leopard 2 used thick NERA that could disrupt KE penetrators and used a lot of relatively thin spaced plates rather than a thick backplate, and way more high hardness steel so it was considerably better against KE threats without losing performance against CE.
It didn't help that the US and UK were relatively behind the Germans in ammunition performance for armor testing, with the Germans already having DM13 and the smoothbore 105 and 120 in 1969-71 while the US only had XM578 and then XM735 out of the weaker 152mm and M68 guns, and the British mostly had APDS out of the L11 or the 110mm gun which were weaker than the Rh 120 in raw performance. The Germans had much more justification for improving performance against KE.

The British implementation of Burlington also wasn't that great. The armor started initially as addon packs for the Chieftain and then as armor for modified Chieftain evolutions, so it was mostly thought of as modular blocks. This meant the arrays wasted a lot of weight on mountings and the cast base (worse than RHA) instead of being integral to the structure as inserts like the Leopard 2 or the Abrams. The Challenger 1 weighed 59.5 tonnes compared to 54.5 tonnes for M1 and Leo 2, yet its hull offered only 300mm KE and 580 CE protection in the frontal arc against 350mm KE and 750mm CE for basic M1 and at least 300mm KE and over 600mm CE for Leo 2. Unlike the latter two it also lacked the composite front skirts so the protected arc was narrower. The turret was decent but didn't justify such a difference in weight and hull protection. Burlington did have the merit of testing blocks with light NERA that could provide excellent mass efficiency against shaped charges which was very useful when uparmouring the Warrior IFV against such threats however.
The MBT-80 was a significant improvement in this regard as it would have had a welded base apparently and squared instead of wedged front arrays.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Composite armor was surprisingly underdevelopped for a long time. In 1945 the Americans (and likely the British) had already done sufficient research and testing to conclude that aluminium and glass could be incorporated to improve CE protection (and HCR 2 was tested with tar, aluminium and plastics). Yet the Americans only started the siliceous cored armor program in 1952 and I doubt they worked on composites enough in the pre-Korea times. In 1957 this armor had been extensively tested, was viable and was mass producible as long as the initial upfront cost was paid to set up more than one prototype factory but was abandonned. No effort was made to put something other than an anti-radiation filler in MBT-70.

The Soviets took only a year to add glass textolite to the initial 80mm steel UFP on the Object 432 (T-64) and then the 20mm backplate to get an array that wasn't that conceptually different from SCA (an anti-CE filler between two steel plates). Even then they surprisingly sat on their laurels, leaving the armor as is for over a decade even though the thin backplate was problematic and they took even longer to add a high-hardness plate inside the array between two textolite layers. This can be partially blamed on the obsession with lightweight tanks and the resulting limited weight budget for armor but testing these more efficient arrays should have been quick and easy even in the 60s. And in a way it meant they believed that their simple penetrator designs were not questionned early enough.

It is equally surprising that the MBT-70 and early Leopard 2 and Abrams studies did so little with spaced armour, using only two layers when they had excellent high-hardness steel to test multilayered arrays like the one found in T-72B's UFP.

I can excuse not introducing spaced or composite armour until the late 50s since full-bore AP was very common at the time and would smash through these arrays that didn't have enough weight allowed to use thick front plates, but after it was really lazyness.

Last edited:
Cambodian Wildcat Update:

Well all change! My plan to construct the Cambodian Wildcat as a T-72/Leopard 2 combo has been well and truly kicked into touch - sometimes things work out and sometimes they don't and I'm not too proud to admit that this one wasn't very well thought through. So a rapid change of plans and, interestingly, a trip back to one of my earlier ideas for the T-72 conversion/update.

So that you can fully appreciate the subtle changes, I will start off showing you the basic T-72 (I just threw the turret together for the photo shoot)...

Mid 1.jpg

Mid 2.jpg

Mid 3.jpg

Mid 11.jpg

Now for the Wildcat...

Background: After re-unification, the Federal German government found itself in possession of several hundred ex-East German T-72 tanks that were surplus to requirement and heading for the scrap yard. At much the same time, Cambodia was looking for a replacement for its aging Dhole II fleet. Seeing the opportunity for a quick sale, the German government offered the Cambodians a number of their T-72s a little more than their scrap value. Needless to say, the Cambodians leapt at the offer. However, having already faced off against NVA T-72s, the Cambodian Army were well aware of the T-72’s credentials – both positive and negative – and proposed several changes to be incorporated funded from the money left over in the Dhole II replacement program. Fundamentally, the Cambodians wanted increased turret protection and armament, sighting and fire control systems compatible with their existing King Tigers. Ever on the lookout for a business opportunity Krauss-Maffei Wegmann GmbH & Co. KG (KMW) and BAE Systems Land came together to see what might be done. The resting upgrade was exactly what the Cambodians were after and the Wildcat (Satvaprei) was born.

Specifications:
Length: 10.06 m (33 ft)
Width: 3.59 m (11 ft 9 in)
Height: 2.54 m (8 ft 4 in)
Weight: 47 metric tons
Crew: 3

Armament: The Wildcat is armed with the fully-stabilized Royal Ordinance L11A5 120 mm rifled gun. The L11A5 is a significantly improved version of the Chieftain's gun and is extremely accurate. Like earlier British 120 mm guns, it is insulated by a thermal sleeve. It is fitted with a muzzle reference system and fume extractor, and is controlled by an all-electric control and stabilization system. The Wildcat is equipped with an automatic loading system, eliminating the need for a dedicated crewmember, decreasing the size and weight of the tank. In addition to the 22 auto-loaded rounds, the Wildcat carries 17 rounds conventionally in the hull, which can be loaded into the emptied autoloader trays or directly into the gun. There is also a L94A1 EX-34 7.62 mm chain gun mounted coaxially with the main gun, and a 12.7mm M2 heavy machine gun mounted on the turret roof.

Sights & Fire Control: The Wildcat’s digital fire control computer from Computing Devices Co of Canada contains two 32-bit processors with a MIL STD1553B databus, and has capacity for additional systems, such as a Battlefield Information Control System. The commander has a panoramic SAGEM VS 580-10 gyrostabilised sight with laser rangefinder. The Thermal Observation and Gunnery Sight (TOGS-X), from Thales, provides night vision and is displayed on both the gunner's and commander's sights and monitors. The gunner has a stabilised primary sight using a laser rangefinder with a range of 200 m to 10 km. The driver's position is equipped with a Thales Optronics image-intensifying Passive Driving Periscope (PDP) for night driving and a rear-view thermal camera.

Protection: The turret is enhanced with Chobham composite armour - a combination of steel and ceramics. This armour provides a much higher level of protection, comparing to any monolithic steel armour. Add-on explosive reactive armour can be fitted to the hull and turret as required. The tank is fitted with automatic fire suppression and NBC protection systems. On each side of the turret are five L8 smoke grenade dischargers. The Wildcat can also create smoke by injecting diesel fuel into the exhaust manifolds.

I still have a bit of filling to do that was exposed by the undercoat paint, but I am very happy with the end result. I may also add some ERA to the front hull for the complete transformation.

The model is made from bits from a fairly dreadful ESCI T-72 kit, an equally dreadful Trumpeter Type 85-II AP kit, a Tamiya Challenger I, some odds and sods and, of course, the ubiquitous plastic card.

Mid 7.jpg

Mid 8.jpg

Mid 9.jpg

Mid 10.jpg

Last edited:
It certainly looks the goods and completely different shape from the original vehicle. In fact the turret shape reminds me of the South Korean K - 2 and I think the Wildcat might look good on my shelf next to the Tiger and the King Tiger. Which I'll let everyone know are in fact my son's, which is why they are located in my study at the top of the bookshelf 😜 .

Which tank would you prefer to go to war in @Claymore the King Tiger or the Wild Cat & which one would be more habitable for the crew?

I can excuse not introducing spaced or composite armour until the late 50s since full-bore AP was very common at the time and would smash through these arrays that didn't have enough weight allowed to use thick front plates, but after it was really lazyness.
It might also have been a problem of threat perception. The US Army in particular was and still remains very dismissive of Russian tank design, despite their discovery in 1991 that the NVA (East German Army) had fielded a version of the T72 which was impervious to all known NATO AT weapons in the frontal quarter. That finding confirmed what the West Germans had found when they tested the T72M1 when the two Germanies amalgamated. The war with Iraq had blinded them to that. The Iraqis had used a "monkey model" T72 which Russia had specially manufactured for them.

One of the factors I've been struggling with since I began work in this area has been the fact that the 1950s tank will be welded and the 1970s tank will be welded, but that it looked like the 1960s tank would have to be cast. Cast armor shapes are generally the most efficient. The shape with the lowest ratio of surface area to volume is a sphere, and armor castings are more readily made in spheroid shapes. Equipping the 1960s tank with some form of spaced composite armor would hopefully improve the protection density to the point of being competitive with castings, and the increasing prevalence of shaped charges on the battlefield would benefit vehicles with spaced armor at the expense of cast tanks.

Turret shape remains an issue. We want to minimize weight and maximize internal volume, so the most efficient answer is a Soviet-style dome, but that might require large castings and might require something like the resin-embedded cast composite armor they used. The alternate option is to focus more exclusively on frontal protection for the turret by minimizing the width of the forward-facing plate and mantlet (as in the Panther schmalturm and Tiger II) and angling the turret cheeks are back towards the rear.

It certainly looks the goods and completely different shape from the original vehicle. In fact the turret shape reminds me of the South Korean K - 2 and I think the Wildcat might look good on my shelf next to the Tiger and the King Tiger. Which I'll let everyone know are in fact my son's, which is why they are located in my study at the top of the bookshelf 😜 .

Which tank would you prefer to go to war in @Claymore the King Tiger or the Wild Cat & which one would be more habitable for the crew?

Lol… Thanks, perhaps once she is fully painted, she can trundle off south of the equator. I like that the turret shape is noticeably different but is still, effectively, just an up-armoured/modified T-72 turret.

Mid 12.jpg

I still think that I would prefer the bulk of the Cambodian’s King Tiger between me and the bad guys! I also think that life inside the King Tiger would be, ergonomically, better - certainly more room for the BV!

Last edited:
One of the factors I've been struggling with since I began work in this area has been the fact that the 1950s tank will be welded and the 1970s tank will be welded, but that it looked like the 1960s tank would have to be cast. Cast armor shapes are generally the most efficient. The shape with the lowest ratio of surface area to volume is a sphere, and armor castings are more readily made in spheroid shapes. Equipping the 1960s tank with some form of spaced composite armor would hopefully improve the protection density to the point of being competitive with castings, and the increasing prevalence of shaped charges on the battlefield would benefit vehicles with spaced armor at the expense of cast tanks.

Turret shape remains an issue. We want to minimize weight and maximize internal volume, so the most efficient answer is a Soviet-style dome, but that might require large castings and might require something like the resin-embedded cast composite armor they used. The alternate option is to focus more exclusively on frontal protection for the turret by minimizing the width of the forward-facing plate and mantlet (as in the Panther schmalturm and Tiger II) and angling the turret cheeks are back towards the rear.
You can always weld smaller castings together, but in general once any sort of composite armor is developed flat plates welded together become superior to castings. How much of a frontal arc to you want to armor the turret against?

You can always weld smaller castings together, but in general once any sort of composite armor is developed flat plates welded together become superior to castings. How much of a frontal arc to you want to armor the turret against?
Fundamentally, the initial priority is to ensure adequate mobility. This means establishing a weight limit based on available engine power. After that, firepower comes in the form of the smallest gun capable of defeating the largest threat. Armor is firmly the third leg of the iron triangle, so only weight left over after the mounting of a sufficiently large gun and below the weight limit permitted by the engine can be carried.

There is a certain level of interior volume that is required to ensure that the crew can function effectively, which probably fits under firepower. The 1950s and 1960s tanks are very close in size and appearance to the Leopard 1 (at least the hull), which ensures sufficient volume. Only after that can excess weight under the limit be allocated to protection.

I'm going to work through my old Medium Tank for the 1950s (MT-50) concept to examine the weight aspect in this context.

We begin by assuming an engine of at least 750 hp, which gives a weight limit of 50,000 kg at the allowable PWR of 15 hp/ton.

Continental AV-1790: 1,200 kg
Allison CD-850: 1,400 kg
Drivetrain: 2,600 kg
Remaining weight: 47,400 kg

Now for suspension components:
Road wheels: 14 x 90 kg = 1,260 kg
Idlers and sprockets: 4 x 150 kg = 600 kg
Torsion bars: 14 x 500 kg = 7,000 kg
Track links: 180 x 23 kg = 4,140 kg
Suspension weight: 13,000 kg
Remaining weight: 34,400 kg

Firepower:
90 mm Gun T54: 1,580 kg
Ammunition: 60 x 22 kg = 1,320 kg
Firepower weight: 2,900 kg
Remaining weight: 31,500 kg

We need a turret sufficiently large to enable the efficient use of this gun. I will assume that a function turret with light armor (roughly 25 mm) will be the base level and will weigh roughly 6,000 kg.
Remaining weight: 25,500 kg.

We need a hull with sufficient size but only light armor. I will adjust my calculations for the MT-50 hull (somewhat larger than a Leopard 1) to assume only 25 mm of armor.
Hull front: 930 kg
Hull rear: 530 kg
Hull sides: 3,860 kg
Hull top: 3,520 kg
Hull bottom: 2,660 kg
Total hull weight: 11,500 kg
Vehicle light weight: 36,000 kg
Remaining weight: 14,000 kg

Crew, consumables (fuel, ammunition), and internal fittings would probably bring the weight to 40 tons all up. We now have 10 tons left to add protection above what is already there. I never modelled a turret for my medium tank, but I think about 10 tons (+4 tons) for the turret weight would give us armor comparable to a Centurion or M60. Adding armor (100 mm front and 50 mm sides) to the hull brought the hull weight to 17,600 kg (+6,100 kg). The weight budget has now been completely consumed and no additions are possible above this level without cutting into mobility unless engine power is increased. The AVDS-1790 had 750 hp, but an engine like the Leopard 1's MTU MB 838 with 820 hp could increase the weight budget to 54,700 kg.

1624017397841.png

"Following the relaxation of width requirements in March 1942 (sic), the design team in charge of the Cruiser Tank A30 opted to increase the turret ring diameter to 1778mm (70") instead of 64", by increasing the width of the vehicle and creating a bulge extending over the sides. This allowed a considerable increase in the width of the fighting compartment, allowing the turret to be lowered. The gun mount was changed to fit an external mantlet. It also allowed an increase in the amount of shells carried from 42 to 50 rounds, as well as fuel capacity. Tracks were widened once again to 454mm.
The increase in weight motivated the development of a more extensively strengthened Christie suspension. Steering issues were also alleviated. Since the modifications were extensive, and to simplify production and integration of the turret ring bulge, the coil springs were moved outside of the vehicle with the side walls becoming a single plate. This suspension still allowed for a 357mm vertical travel. The tank now weighed 35.7 metric tonnes.
The first prototype was ready for trials in December 1942. First production models left the factory in July 1943. With the suspension being able to support at least 39 long tons and armor requirements increasing, it was decided to thicken the turret frontal arc and driver's plate to 4", increasing tank weight to 37 metric tonnes after 200 production models. By August 1945 when production ceased, 1354 A30 Challengers had been built".

PS: Relatively crude drawing on a real A30 blueprint but imagine a Challenger hull but as wide as the Comet with the Comet's wide tracks, and an hybrid between the Black Prince's trapezoidal turret with cast front and the smaller but higher trapezoidal turret of the Challenger.​

Attachments

• 1624017371045.png
    1624017371045.png
    300.3 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
Fundamentally, the initial priority is to ensure adequate mobility. This means establishing a weight limit based on available engine power. After that, firepower comes in the form of the smallest gun capable of defeating the largest threat. Armor is firmly the third leg of the iron triangle, so only weight left over after the mounting of a sufficiently large gun and below the weight limit permitted by the engine can be carried.

There is a certain level of interior volume that is required to ensure that the crew can function effectively, which probably fits under firepower. The 1950s and 1960s tanks are very close in size and appearance to the Leopard 1 (at least the hull), which ensures sufficient volume. Only after that can excess weight under the limit be allocated to protection.

I'm going to work through my old Medium Tank for the 1950s (MT-50) concept to examine the weight aspect in this context.

We begin by assuming an engine of at least 750 hp, which gives a weight limit of 50,000 kg at the allowable PWR of 15 hp/ton.

Continental AV-1790: 1,200 kg
Allison CD-850: 1,400 kg
Drivetrain: 2,600 kg
Remaining weight: 47,400 kg

Now for suspension components:
Road wheels: 14 x 90 kg = 1,260 kg
Idlers and sprockets: 4 x 150 kg = 600 kg
Torsion bars: 14 x 500 kg = 7,000 kg
Track links: 180 x 23 kg = 4,140 kg
Suspension weight: 13,000 kg
Remaining weight: 34,400 kg

Firepower:
90 mm Gun T54: 1,580 kg
Ammunition: 60 x 22 kg = 1,320 kg
Firepower weight: 2,900 kg
Remaining weight: 31,500 kg

We need a turret sufficiently large to enable the efficient use of this gun. I will assume that a function turret with light armor (roughly 25 mm) will be the base level and will weigh roughly 6,000 kg.
Remaining weight: 25,500 kg.

We need a hull with sufficient size but only light armor. I will adjust my calculations for the MT-50 hull (somewhat larger than a Leopard 1) to assume only 25 mm of armor.
Hull front: 930 kg
Hull rear: 530 kg
Hull sides: 3,860 kg
Hull top: 3,520 kg
Hull bottom: 2,660 kg
Total hull weight: 11,500 kg
Vehicle light weight: 36,000 kg
Remaining weight: 14,000 kg

Crew, consumables (fuel, ammunition), and internal fittings would probably bring the weight to 40 tons all up. We now have 10 tons left to add protection above what is already there. I never modelled a turret for my medium tank, but I think about 10 tons (+4 tons) for the turret weight would give us armor comparable to a Centurion or M60. Adding armor (100 mm front and 50 mm sides) to the hull brought the hull weight to 17,600 kg (+6,100 kg). The weight budget has now been completely consumed and no additions are possible above this level without cutting into mobility unless engine power is increased. The AVDS-1790 had 750 hp, but an engine like the Leopard 1's MTU MB 838 with 820 hp could increase the weight budget to 54,700 kg.

All very detailed... impressive! 👍

One of the concepts I'm using to inform my gun selection is what I call the "maximum relevant opponent". It's not necessarily a real tank but a standardized target that a gun being considered for a certain tank should be able to just barely defeat at battle ranges. The idea is that a smaller gun would leave the tank too vulnerable on the battlefield while a larger gun would be wasteful in terms of weight.

The initial tank gun was the 3"/28 field gun, which was selected for its anti-fortification capability and because it was readily available; at the time, the lighter 3"/28 field gun was being phased out in favor of a heavier 3.5"/27 (18-pdr equivalent) but was still a competitive field gun as long as extreme range was not required for indirect fire.

By the time the Medium 25-ton tank, tanks are beginning to arrive with additional armor above that required to defeat small arms ammunition. In the mid-1930s, French tanks are among the most heavily armored in the world. France is not necessarily a likely enemy, but their tanks are indicative of what could be fielded at the time. At the time, the Somua S35 is showing up with 47 mm of frontal armor sloped at 40 degrees and 40 mm of side armor sloped at roughly 10 degrees. A vehicle with this armor presents roughly 70 mm of LOS armor from a front quarter perspective. For comparison, the 75 mm M3 gun on the Sherman fired AP ammunition capable of penetrating roughly 70 mm of armor (61 mm at 30 degrees) at 1,000 yards. The gun that would be best suited to this threat is the French-designed Russian 76 mm field gun with contemporary ammunition.

The next tank is the Medium 30-ton. The maximum relevant opponent here is the KV-1, first encountered in small numbers in Finland in early 1940. The KV-1 has frontal armor of 75 mm at 30 degrees and side armor of 75 mm. At 40 degrees off the bow, the KV-1 has roughly 100 - 110 mm of LOS armor. This is roughly a match of the 76 mm Gun M1 and the 7.5 cm KwK 48, so that's the kind of comparable gun I'm aiming for (this tank is produced before the 76 mm Gun M1 existed IOTL).

The next tank is the Medium 40-ton. The maximum relevant opponents here are the Tiger and Panther, which are known to be coming soon. The Tiger has vertical armor, 100 mm on the front and 60 mm on the side. At 35 degrees off the bow, the Tiger presents roughly 115 - 125 mm of LOS armor. The Panther has 80 mm of frontal armor sloped at 55 degrees, but side armor is light enough that LOS protection is roughly 140 mm of LOS RHA equivalent from a relatively narrow frontal arc. The 90 mm Gun M3 fires AP ammunition that can penetrate roughly 140 - 150 mm of armor.

Beyond this point, things start to get more complicated because we can start to us subcaliber penetrators in "artificially" increase penetration. With full-caliber AP, the 90 mm Guns T15E2 or T54 wouldn't be able to penetrate the UFP of a Tiger II at battle ranges, but it would be possible with APCR. Manticore is using APDS instead of APCR so I don't have to worry as much about the poor external ballistics of an HVAP projectile. However, I don't have any better information about how penetration at range might compare between APDS and APCR than War Thunder tables. The 90 mm Gun M3 might be sufficient to deal with a Tiger II or IS-2 at bad angles and battle range with APCR or APDS, so I might just continue production of the Medium 40-ton through 1945 and maybe 1946 instead of switching over to a Medium 50-ton with a larger gun. The IS-3 is obviously going to be a *big problem* in 1945 and 1946, and the hull might present 250 mm of LOS equivalent, so a bigger gun like the 90 mm Gun T54 would be necessary if you couldn't get higher chamber pressures out of the 90 mm Gun M3 (the US did this to get the M36 in the M47 and the M41 in the M48).

Status
Not open for further replies.