Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apparently the Americans were the only ones who got the memo.
Don't really believe the Americans "got the memo" any better than the other guys, Americans just came out of the blocks with a big head start on their opponents and allies alike when it came to understanding the mechanical and electrical doo-dads that defined the day. Americans were more conversant with automobiles, radios, and other appliances, and, thanks to the great depression, with the inevitable "band-aids" that were the currency of repair efforts.

alternate Sd.Kfz-222 with Pz-II ausf. F turret. Inspired by one of Smitty's TL's.
Sd.Kfz-222 w Pz-II ausf.F.jpg

Slightly larger Sd.Kfz-222 with slightly narrower Pz.II ausf.F turret.

Has anyone done anything with the T55E1 GMC tank destroyer?

300px-T55E1-motor-carriage-haugh.jpg

Off-road mobility was obviously an issue with wheeled vehicles of this time, but armored cars (4x4) were common in the BEF and the Germans had 2,000 6-rads and 8-rads.

Off-road mobility was obviously an issue with wheeled vehicles of this time, but armored cars (4x4) were common in the BEF and the Germans had 2,000 6-rads and 8-rads.
Never heard of it till now. If I can find some line drawings of it, I'll give it a shot.

Pretty... modern looking tank destroyer. Just put this gun in a turret and we're done.

Pretty... modern looking tank destroyer. Just put this gun in a turret and we're done.
This was the 3-inch gun that the M10 carried. The 76mm that the Hellcat had was half the weight, so that might be small enough to fit in a turret. The T55 had a fairly strange suspension with front and rear two-axle bogies, each powered by a single engine. Operational mobility would have been better than the Hellcat because of maintenance issues related to wheeled vs. tracked vehicles, but tactical mobility would have been lacking.

Hello again, just starting to catch up. You guys amaze me. I'm working on a few timelines(Space 1939, Twilight 1946, Space 1959) and need ideas/visualisations if these appeal to you:

For Space:1939 a hybrid/Lend Lease vehicle: T-35 with a M8 Stuart open-topped 75mm howitzer turret center, two M2/M3 Stuart turrets kiddy corner and two M2 Combat Car turrets kiddy corner(.30 or .50 cal?-your discretion)

For Space: 1959: A M24 Chaffee tank with a Israeli 60mm High Velocity Mortar System(lotsa R&D gets moved up), 20mm coax/independent traverse and that M60 Commander's Cupola with a .30 instead of a .50

For Twilight:1946 a air-droppable Harley Davidson(or equivalent) dirt bike with collapsible sidecar and trailer for the 1st SSF Brigade. They used Johnson Light Machineguns.

Or anything else of the twisted, alternate and whacked out combos you can think of. If your interested I could post what I have done with the timelines. Or not. Thank you.

Hello again, just starting to catch up. You guys amaze me. I'm working on a few timelines(Space 1939, Twilight 1946, Space 1959) and need ideas/visualisations if these appeal to you:

For Space:1939 a hybrid/Lend Lease vehicle: T-35 with a M8 Stuart open-topped 75mm howitzer turret center, two M2/M3 Stuart turrets kiddy corner and two M2 Combat Car turrets kiddy corner(.30 or .50 cal?-your discretion)

For Space: 1959: A M24 Chaffee tank with a Israeli 60mm High Velocity Mortar System(lotsa R&D gets moved up), 20mm coax/independent traverse and that M60 Commander's Cupola with a .30 instead of a .50

For Twilight:1946 a air-droppable Harley Davidson(or equivalent) dirt bike with collapsible sidecar and trailer for the 1st SSF Brigade. They used Johnson Light Machineguns.

Or anything else of the twisted, alternate and whacked out combos you can think of. If your interested I could post what I have done with the timelines. Or not. Thank you.

The Israeli 60mm HVMS, wasn't a mortar, it was a hyper velocity cannon meant to take out T-62s at extreme ranges. And Chile mounted the cannon in their Chaffees. The cannon is from the 1980s though, not the 1950s.

The Israeli 60mm HVMS, wasn't a mortar, it was a hyper velocity cannon meant to take out T-62s at extreme ranges. And Chile mounted the cannon in their Chaffees. The cannon is from the 1980s though, not the 1950s.

The Time line is 1946-1973(Space 1959)-the French had a mortar system on their armored cars. I ramped up the R&D and had certain tech appear sooner. The M60a2 Starship actually works!

A few years ago I played around with an idea I called the Kursk Panther, the idea was what if the Panther turrets had been mounted on Ferdinands and cancelling the faults of each vehicle.
Here's the Jagdpanther version of that idea.

View attachment 467599

Sorry I haven't checked in on th thread in a while.

Wow! What a pity they didn't work this idea out.

Though... it was probably quicker and easier to just drop a box on the rear deck and call it an Elefant. :p

Edit: How would she look like with a cupola on the Commader's hatch?

Cheers.

Last edited:
Things I'd like to see

M24/M41 SS-11 ATGM vehicle
M24 with Sheridan style turret, lighter gun
Gamma Gpoat style armored car with SS-11 [n rear section and Commando V150 turret in the front
'Easy Eight' chassied APC
Saladin AC with different turrets
T-55-NATO post WWIII hybrids
Guntrucked 'Nuke-Ball' Express convoy
Wiesel with dual Davy Crockets

Status
Not open for further replies.