Alternative History Armoured Fighting Vehicles Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's exactly what I thought of! It'd lower the chance for the vehicle to flip over too.
It's also how it seems to work in this video of a Sheridan paradrop :D

Though it may be wise to remember that even in the Sheridan, the tanks were not parachuted with the crew inside; they were dropped from a separate plane and made a run towards the vehicle before severing the lines fixed it to the palate and hopping in.

Some T-72 variants I've worked on. Enjoy. :3

UkLrAoO.png
eP0cYbS.png
zJf6Qv1.png

EDIT: Minor fixes on the T-72BM an the T-93 prototype.

Last edited:
Great work, you are a Ninja in the art of line drawing manipulation! I particularly like the T-72BM and the T-93 'Wolf' Prototype.

More please...:)

Danke. :3

And yea, wasn't too fond of the last one, due to the oversized turret, but it goes with expedience. The prototype would have to be built from scratch, while the production variant could be upgraded from earlier T-72s.

EDIT: oh god stray lines. :V

Last edited:
A quickie I did for a TL where Japan doesn't go south in 41 but instead waits til summer of 42 to invade the USSR.
Took the Type-90 75mm gun that IOTL went into the Type-1 Ho-Ri TD and mount them instead on modified Type-89 Ch-Ri. If my research is correct, the Japanese who were phasing out the Type-89 in 1942, could have possibly converted 300 Type-89 tanks into what I'm calling the Type-1 Ho-Ro TD.

The Ho-ro probably wouldn't have been as good as the Ho-Ri but the Japanese could've had a lot more of the Ho-Ros in a shorter span of time than it would've taken them to build the Type-1 Ho-Ri. I also think it might have been possible to bolt on some extra armour to the front of the hull.
Not a war winner but could've made a difference in some early battles.

Not the best pic I've done, could've used some better line pics but these were the best I could find, also not 100% percent to scale.
ZS9NIzl.png

For a quick mock up, they look decent Cortz. Interesting if Japan has taken the lessons learned at Nomonhan and applied them to their armored regiments and designs.

A quickie I did for a TL where Japan doesn't go south in 41 but instead waits til summer of 42 to invade the USSR.
Took the Type-90 75mm gun that IOTL went into the Type-1 Ho-Ri TD and mount them instead on modified Type-89 Ch-Ri. If my research is correct, the Japanese who were phasing out the Type-89 in 1942, could have possibly converted 300 Type-89 tanks into what I'm calling the Type-1 Ho-Ro TD.

The Ho-ro probably wouldn't have been as good as the Ho-Ri but the Japanese could've had a lot more of the Ho-Ros in a shorter span of time than it would've taken them to build the Type-1 Ho-Ri. I also think it might have been possible to bolt on some extra armour to the front of the hull.

Not the best pic I've done, could've used some better line pics but these were the best I could find, also not 100% percent to scale.
ZS9NIzl.png
I should be able to supply you with some better line drawings, if that helps. WIll get onto It this evening when I get home.

AzxJr7m.png

The culmination of indigenous developments on the T-72, T-16(Pr) 'Knight' (Russian: Рыцарь, Rytsar') is the latest in a long line of Prussian-designed main battle tanks to take to the stage. A fourth-generation MBT designed by defence manufacturer Machabeli Industries, the T-16(Pr) - its initials 'Prussia' added to avoid confusion with the Russian T-14 'Armata' series - is based on the prototype design of the T-93 'Wolf'. With an expanded chassis and larger turret to accommodate extra crew space, the T-93PM ('P' for 'pervonachal'nyy', initial/original; 'M' for 'modernizirovannyy', modernized) swaps the original Eastern European parts used in the prototype for Western gear, much of which is shared by the German Leopard 2. Standardized with NATO systems, the T-16(Pr) is the first indigenous design to use a NATO-standard tank gun, a licensed version of the Rhinemetall 120mm L/55. In addition, new components from its engine to its two MG3A1 machine guns, represents a fundamental shift from the Soviet-based designs developed early in Machabeli's establishment, to integration with NATO systems and logistics in its later years.

First unveiled in Prussia's 25th Independence Day celebrations in 2016, the T-16(Pr) featured alongside the Leopard 2A5 PR and the older T-72BM models. Due for full introduction in 2019, the 'Knight' has already attracted interest from several Gulf states, Pakistan and Colombia.

• Weight: 59.2 tonnes
  • Length:
    • 10.53 m (gun forward)
    • 7.95 m (hull)
  • Width: 3.59 m
  • Height: 2.89 m
  • Crew: 4
  • Armor: Composite armour
  • Main armament:
    • 125 mm 2A46M smoothbore gun
    • 9M119 Svir ATGM
  • Secondary armament: 2 x MG3 7.62 mm, one on coaxial machine gun and one on commander's ring-mount
  • Engine: Yugoslav diesel V-46TK 1,000 hp (895 kW)
  • Power/weight: 16.8 hp/tonne (15.1 kW/tonne)
  • Suspension: torsion bar
  • Fuel capacity: 1,400 L
  • Operational range:
    • 450 km (internal fuel)
    • 650 km (with tanks)
  • Speed: 60 km/h

• Weight: 58.9 tonnes
  • Length:
    • 10.11 m (gun forward)
    • 7.95 m (hull)
  • Main armament:
    • Rhinemetall 120mm gun
    • LAHAT ATGM
  • Secondary armament: 2 x MG3 7.62 mm, one on coaxial machine gun and one on commander's ring-mount
  • Engine: MTU MB 873 Ka-501 liquid-cooled V12 twin-turbo diesel engine - 1,500 PS (1,479 hp, 1,103 kW)
  • Power/weight: 25.1 hp/tonne (18.7 kW/tonne)
  • Operational range:
    • 540 km (internal fuel)
    • 750 km (with tanks)
  • Speed: 72 km/h

Last edited:
AzxJr7m.png

The culmination of indigenous developments on the T-72, T-16(Pr) 'Knight' (Russian: Рыцарь, Rytsar') is the latest in a long line of Prussian-designed main battle tanks to take to the stage. A fourth-generation MBT designed by defence manufacturer Machabeli Industries, the T-16(Pr) - its initials 'Prussia' added to avoid confusion with the Russian T-14 'Armata' series - is based on the prototype design of the T-93 'Wolf'. With an expanded chassis to accommodate an extra road wheel, the T-93PM ('P' for 'pervonachal'nyy', initial/original; 'M' for 'modernizirovannyy', modernized) swaps the original Eastern European parts used in the prototype for Western gear, much of which is shared by the German Leopard 2. Standardized with NATO systems, the T-16(Pr) is the first indigenous design to use a NATO-standard tank gun, a licensed version of the Rhinemetall 120mm L/55. In addition, new components from its engine to its two MG3A1 machine guns, represents a fundamental shift from the Soviet-based designs developed early in Machabeli's establishment, to integration with NATO systems and logistics in its later years.

First unveiled in Prussia's 25th Independence Day celebrations in 2016, the T-16(Pr) featured alongside the Leopard 2A5 PR and the older T-72BM models. Due for full introduction in 2019, the 'Knight' has already attracted interest from several Gulf states, Pakistan and Colombia.

• Weight: 59.2 tonnes
  • Length:
    • 10.53 m (gun forward)
    • 7.95 m (hull)
  • Main armament:
    • 125 mm 2A46M smoothbore gun
    • 9M119 Svir ATGM
  • Engine: Yugoslav diesel V-46TK 1,000 hp (895 kW)
  • Power/weight: 16.8 hp/tonne (15.1 kW/tonne)
  • Operational range:
    • 450 km (internal fuel)
    • 650 km (with tanks)
  • Speed: 60 km/h

• Weight: 58.9 tonnes
  • Length:
    • 10.11 m (gun forward)
    • 7.95 m (hull)
  • Main armament:
    • Rhinemetall 120mm gun
    • LAHAT ATGM
  • Engine: MTU MB 873 Ka-501 liquid-cooled V12 twin-turbo diesel engine - 1,500 PS (1,479 hp, 1,103 kW)
  • Power/weight: 25.1 hp/tonne (18.7 kW/tonne)
  • Operational range:
    • 540 km (internal fuel)
    • 750 km (with tanks)
  • Speed: 72 km/h
Very cool, an alternate tank for an alternate nation. :cool:

Thanks. For the early to mid and even late 1930s the Type-89 wasn't a bad tank but by 1940 it was definitely obsolete. I think my redesign could've added another couple of years of service.
Now if someone had thought of the Ho-Ro much earlier and the Ho-Ro was ready in good numbers for Khalkin Go, I think they could've given the BT-7 a hard time.

ZS9NIzl.png

The Type 90 might weigh just a little too much for the suspension to handle. However, in 1941 the IJA successfully mounted a 7.5cm Type 99 in the Type 89's turret without any problems, so perhaps a TD isn't necessary.

The Type 90 might weigh just a little too much for the suspension to handle. However, in 1941 the IJA successfully mounted a 7.5cm Type 99 in the Type 89's turret without any problems, so perhaps a TD isn't necessary.
What's the weight difference and what else can you tell me about the type-99?
I can't find anything on it on Wiki.

The Type 99 was a short-barreled 7.5cm mounted on the Type 2 Ho-I, and only weighed 540kg. The Type 90 weighed 1400kg.
I don't think a short barreled 7.5 gun would be that effective against soviet armour, is there another Japanese gun that you think would work in the anti-tank role?

Status
Not open for further replies.