Alternative colonizer for West Africa

I'm looking for the possibility for a European power other than France to colonize West Africa in the many ways similar to the way France did it IOTL. But who would be the most suitable candidate to replace France ?

Of course, there is (will be) one by Thande with the British Space-Filling Empire in his LTTW TL, but I wonder there is a candidate other than British to colonize West Africa roughly in the way and as long as French did IOTL....

Review AussieGuy's Ich Bin Ein Frankfurter for the maps of Africa in the later pages. He has Germany colonize West Africa, originally from *Togo through *Nigeria all the way to French Gabon, and has Namibia; by the end of alt-WW1 it has acquired all the French land down to Angola plus all Morocco and has purchased eastern Angola so that it owns almost the whole African coast in an unbroken line from the Pillars of Hercules to Walvis Bay.

Review AussieGuy's Ich Bin Ein Frankfurter for the maps of Africa in the later pages. He has Germany colonize West Africa, originally from *Togo through *Nigeria all the way to French Gabon, and has Namibia; by the end of alt-WW1 it has acquired all the French land down to Angola plus all Morocco and has purchased eastern Angola so that it owns almost the whole African coast in an unbroken line from the Pillars of Hercules to Walvis Bay.

By "in the way French did it IOTL" means I want it to colonize interior West Africa from scratch. And only focus on the West Africas the French did colonize IOTL, which means those Western Sahara Countries and some surrounding states(extension to Chad is optional though). And the process must be happening as fast as the French did it, and lasting as long as the OTL French rule on it, too. But the last one is because I want to keep any part of it from end up lastingly being settled by people from the colonizers' homeland country, so that is semi-optional. Just so as long as you maintain my last condition.

Last edited:
The map below shows my basic aim :

- Blue indicates must have territories,
- Some of the lighter blues must be included, and
- Cyan territories are optional for additions.

westafrica.PNG

By "in the way French did it IOTL" means I want it to colonize interior West Africa from scratch. And only focus on the West Africas the French did colonize IOTL, which means those Western Sahara Countries and some surrounding states(extension to Chad is optional though). And the process must be happening as fast as the French did it, and lasting as long as the OTL French rule on it, too. I want to keep any part of it from being settled by people from the colonizers' homeland country.

the only other power that would be positioned to do so and have the capability if a number of events did not happen would be Spain. There has to be greater stability in Spain through the 19th C though so the Carlist Wars have to be averted.

Thus Ferdinand does not attempt to amend the succession law and name Isabella II his sucessor. Don Carlos becomes King of Spain upon his death inn '33 without opposition from Maria Christina. The Liberals in Spain will stilll be a problem for him of course and he may be deposed in the '48 rebellions Spain adopting a more liberal constitution at the time under the guise of a purely Constitutional monarchy.

Even then though, the French are already in Dakar and Algerie but perhaps this Spain can get its foot in Guinea or Ivory coast and work inland through the kingdoms and cheifdoms of the Upper Niger establishing protectorates. mind you the French will have to have their attn diverted somewhere else, Indochina or the congo basin perhaps, East Africa. The Spanish could try to exercise their claims more fully along the coast between the Niger and the Ogooue. Such a TL would probably result inthe African coast getting divied up earlier between Britain, France, Spain and Portugal, with the Interior waiting until much later. But without an access point on the coast there won't be much for Italy or Germany left.

I don't think the Spanish could project as far inland as the French though without a considerable amount of luck and events going there way and generally with the benign acceptance of France. Of course post 1860 they might be able to leverage the newly independent Italians somehow to stengthen their hand.

Of course, though if Carlos is King in Spain in the 1830's do the Bourbon's necessarily have to fall from grace in France...The Duke of Angouleme does not abdicate but does accept a more liberal constitution and is eventually succeeded by his nephew in due course.

that could perhaps lead to a Franco - Spanish partnership where Africa is concerned. Defined spheres of influence for both. or areas of Co-protection. Its not like it is not without precedent in OTL. New Hebrides for instance. I am actually considering a no Carlist Wars option for something I am working on.

Just as long as nothing got permanently settled by immigrants from homeland and/or Christianized.
Ummmm...then it wouldn't be the way the French did it. There was a lot of immigration into Algeria during the 19th century. Also, how do you think much of the Sahel region became Christian?

1) Ummmm...then it wouldn't be the way the French did it. There was a lot of immigration into Algeria during the 19th century.

2) Also, how do you think much of the Sahel region became Christian?

1) There can be some attempts to.... just don't have it have lasting success, and decolonization must be happening eventually.

2) Mali ? Senegal ? Niger ? Mauritania ? Guinea ? Ivory Coast ?

At least some of them has Christian minority yes, but that's about it.

Benin is majority Christian, Ivory Coast has almost as many Christians as Muslims, and in Burkina Faso almost one quarter of the population are Christian.

Fair enough. I was thinking mostly about the interior back then. If it's just about that scale than it's okay, but I prefer to keep the spread of Christianity minimal.

I'm looking for the possibility for a European power other than France to colonize West Africa in the many ways similar to the way France did it IOTL. But who would be the most suitable candidate to replace France ?

Of course, there is (will be) one by Thande with the British Space-Filling Empire in his LTTW TL, but I wonder there is a candidate other than British to colonize West Africa roughly in the way and as long as French did IOTL....
Italy!Please

Portugal.

They held many more posts and trading towns in the late 1400s than they did by the end of decolonization in the 1960s, and assuming somehow they stayed powerful enough to keep the French, British, and Dutch out of the coast in the intervening centuries from the 15th century on, can just expand in a multitude of ways inland.

I mean, Elmina, Cueta, Maxaguan, Fernando Po...and many more I probably can't rattle off the top of my head.

Spain, instead of supporting Columbus, continues the Reconquista into Africa, spreading the faith by the sword. Were the Mali still big at this time? If so, plunder from that conquest could put almost as much money into Spain as the Conquest of the New World.

Wolfpaw

Banned
Germany, Spain, and Italy could probably snatch something. Maybe even Portugal around the Guinea Bissau region.