Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of the Year, 2008 (Part 3)

And now, your ATL Moment of Zen:

(Unfortunately, Stewart and Colbert decided that they needed a real politician on the ticket, so prior to Inauguration Day Stephen Colbert became the first person to decline the Vice Presidency after being elected. As a result, then-Connecticut Senator Brian Williams was confirmed by the Senate on Januart 29, 2008 [Constitutional difficulties meant that New York Mayor and future Governor Anthony Wiener wasn't available])

moment of zen.png

moment of zen.png

This one is a spiritual inspiration of Mike's wikiboxes, by that I mean it's of a guy who ruled over states that didn't exist

attachment.php

The story here goes is Austin survives his cold and lives to see an Independent Texas, a birth of a rivalry between him and Houston, and the annexation of Texas (west Texas) and Caddonia (eastern Texas), with him as the first Governor of the later. He's the 0th President (something I don't think anyone has ever done here) because the Houston allied legislature retroactively named Austin and the rump legislature as the 0th President and 0th Legislature, rather than give them the honor of being first (or even interim).

While Austin left the Presidency on good terms with Houston, he quickly became disillusioned with his attempts to get Texas annexed. All that work throwing off one power just to leech of another? Ridiculous! So he returns as the 2nd President, beating Houston over the issues of Indian raiders and the poor economy. Austin tries to extend Texan territory and recognition, while reducing the influence of Houston's pro-American band of followers (called the Union and Democratic Party, or just Unionists). He leaves office sick and unable to deflect the tide of American Unionism. He later becomes the Governor of Caddonia (named after one of the Native Tribes in Texas), but works himself to death trying to reclaim his posterity, something that the state citizens appreciated after a long string of failed Governors after him.

I'm actually considering turning this into it's own TL, given I think it's more original then the Whig idea, but I'll wait until the Lodge Bill TL is done with. What do you guys think, a mini-TL on diffrent Texan politics for a bit?

Any thoughts on the Independent Texas TL? I've been brainstorming some ideas (consider Austin' s box a prototype), including the rise and fall of a Texas Empire, a German based anti-slavery and labor party, a succession from Texas, and possibly an alt! Civil War.

Any thoughts on the Independent Texas TL? I've been brainstorming some ideas (consider Austin' s box a prototype), including the rise and fall of a Texas Empire, a German based anti-slavery and labor party, a succession from Texas, and possibly an alt! Civil War.

OK, key questions in a Independent Texas TL.
1) (Minor) Iowa in 1848 would make a majority of Free States (13-12, any effects, *more* desire for war with Mexico?)
2) Mexican American War? US Allied with Texas? If yes to both, What areas are gained by the US, by Texas? If no alliance with Texas, does the US recognize the Texan claims all the way to the 42nd. If no, Mexican American War, Does California Revolt and what about Utah? (presuming the Mormons go there, Smith's death would be after the POD)
3) With war with Mexico, what areas become slave territories and/or slave states (could we see Oklahoman statehood very early?), note the only TL that I've seen with anything successful slavery south of the OTL border with Mexico is Decades of Darkness and that is a much earlier POD and fewer free states)
4) *Presuming* a map somewhere close to ours for the US at the time when the South feels that it has lost everything in Washington, what is the relationship between Texas and the CSA-analogue?

I've seen TLs where Houston is in full control of Texas and Texas stays in the Union so a Houston controlled Texas would probably be a Union leaning Neutral. In that case, I don't think much changes. The Union still needs to cut the Mississippi.

If Texas is a pro-confederate Neutral, then Washington has to decide whether to live with the *flood* of goods across the Texas or not. Not living with it probably equals war between the US and Texas, just as if Texas had jumped in full force. Not sure how this changes the war from OTL. If they do live with it, then I expect *very* bad relations after the war.

The other question is how long does Texas keep Slavery? If Texas has two states, (East and West) then I could almost see a Texan Civil War over the issue (I'm sure there are manual labor jobs less suited to Slavery than Cattle Ranching, but none spring to mind, especially once you get to the point where both Mexico and the US would be safe.

Last edited:

This has the potential to be awful and amazing at the same time.

And now, your ATL Moment of Zen:

(Unfortunately, Stewart and Colbert decided that they needed a real politician on the ticket, so prior to Inauguration Day Stephen Colbert became the first person to decline the Vice Presidency after being elected. As a result, then-Connecticut Senator Brian Williams was confirmed by the Senate on Januart 29, 2008 [Constitutional difficulties meant that New York Mayor and future Governor Anthony Wiener wasn't available])

How the hell does he win a Nobel Peace Prize?

How the hell does he win a Nobel Peace Prize?

Chinese-backed junta in Burma faces Indian-backed rebellion, China retaliates by supplying Pakistan with weapons, India escalates further by moving two carriers into Na Trang to support United Vietnamese (One nation, two systems) claim to Paracel islands China supports communist rebels in Thailand backed by Laos and Kampuchea, India intervenes in support of Thai monarchy and invades Burma in support of rebels, Chinese troops train Pakistanis, India moves one carrier and several destroyers to the Spratly Islands, leading to a firefight with the PLAN, Pakistanis invade Kashmir, China and India are on the brink of declaring war (between three nuclear powers, no less) on one another when Jon Stewart and Soviet Premier Anatoly Lukyanov co-host a conference in Jakarta to mediate conflict. The settlement includes a power-sharing agreement in Thailand, a transitional government in Burma, status-quo ante-bellum in the South China Sea and Kashmir. Lukyanov and Stewart were then both awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2013

It's still a working project (I need to gather a cast of characters, and will be skipping over a lot as it's a Wikibox series), but let me try and answer these:

1.) I imagine if the South wanted to keep an "equal" Senate, with Texas in the way of Mexico, there might be agitations to go to war with Spain over her colonies like Cuba. There might also be a push for Yucatan and maybe against the British over Oregon territory.

2.) I'm thinking Texas will be independent for a generation or so, but eventually it will fall hard and be annexed into America. But for that first 20-30 years I imagine they'll pursue a policy of peaceful co-existance with America, while taking in immigrants from all over to build up her own strength.

California will be claimed by Texas and Mexico, not quite sure what the reality will be. Maybe the US still takes it and Texas will be surrounded North, East, and West by the US. Mormon's probably still go to Deseret as it's sparse and Texas will be to busy going for California to bother then, while Mexico is too busy with the other rebellious areas to bother those weird Anglo cultists.

3.) Not quite sure on this. We might see an early state of Sequoyah, we might even have the South go the way of the Federalists and be crushed by the weight of the new states. Wouldn't that be nice? Slavery strangled with no real way to expand from the South. I think that would be an interesting way to resolve slavery, rather then just include a Civil War like everyone else does.

4.) I'm not planning for the South to secede, but beg Texas to join so they can help them regain influence lost to the Yankee's and Free Soilers.

This has the potential to be awful and amazing at the same time.

It will be glorious for a moment, but then reality will lariat them back to the earth.

Status
Not open for further replies.