Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
This one is from DTF955Baseballfan's TLIAW- Webster Takes A Stand. I really like this one, it's pretty short so give it a read.

attachment.php

Scottish Assembly Election, 1998
The election was a jolt to the governing Lib-Lab coalition: the long-serving Scottish Tory leader Teddy Taylor won a minority government, beating the divided Labour Executive; which was enduring a long leadership struggle between George Robertson and Donald Dewar (An attempt to pacify the struggle by David Owen only made things worse). The Scottish nationalists also revived from a long nadir. The defeat caused a political crisis in the Westminster government, Owen under pressure to lurch back to the left and Penhaligon under pressure to break off the coalition.
Scotland1998_zpsa76af1e4.png~original

Canadian Federal Election, 1999
Sheila Copps' second minority government was just as weak and chaotic as her first. NAFTA renegotiation talks with President Richards fell apart in late-1997, breaking a key campaign promise. After that a deal with the NDP fell apart and the Liberal Government was forced to live hand-to-mouth off the support of the Quebecois Nationals and NDP. Facing defeat over the 1999 budget, Copps called an election. The Liberal campaign was chaotic and dogged with accusations of both broken promises and rumours of leadership challenges from both John Manley and Paul Martin. The PCs, while running a lacklustre campaign, win a bare majority with just 36% of the vote, at the expense of both the Liberals and Reform. Copps, Barrett and Manning all announced their resignations after the election.
Canada1999_zps8b4ee22a.png~original

TL-74
UK General Election, February 1974
UK General Election, October 1974
UK General Election, 1978 & Canadian Federal Election 1979
US Presidential Elections, 1976 & 1980
Canadian Federal Election 1980 & UK General Election 1981
Labour Leadership Election, 1981 & Scottish Assembly Election 1982
Canadian Federal Election, 1984; US Presidential Election, 1984 & UK General Election 1985
The Troubles and Ted Kennedy
UK General Election, 1988 & Canadian Federal Election 1988
US Presidential Election 1988 & Canadian Federal Election 1989
US Presidential Election, 1992; UK General Election 1993 and John Smith
Canadian Federal Elections, 1994 & 1996 and Brian Mulroney
US Presidential Election, 1996
UK General Election, 1997

Last edited:
I'm presuming that after the Tory victory in the Scottish Assembly election, First Secretary Taylor took office to the sound of pigs flying above Holyrood Palace?

a infobox for the Etat Commissariat Courlande, a Administrative Division of Nasi France during World War II, established after the Invasion of the United Baltic Duchy in early 1941 (known sometimes as the "First Battle of Courland", with the Second Battle being the Russian invasion of French Courland, Livonia and Estonia in 1944).

The Etat Commissariat was invaded by Russia in 1944 during Operation Tsunami, most of it was overrun by superior Russian, Baltic and German forces against the isolated French forces in the country, however the Army Group Courlande, about 450,000 strong, managed to hold out in the Courland Peninsula against Allied attacks for several months, in a area known as the Courland Pocket, the Pocket was overrun in January 1945 by Russian and Baltic forces, and the Etat Commissariat soon ceased to exist with the surrender of Army Group Courlande.

attachment.php

If you use French, don't use Etatcommisariat, use something better reflecting the French language.

I use Etatcommissariat/Etat Commissariat because it rolls off the tongue well, and it still means what I am trying to get across, Through I probably shouldn't compound it since you can't do that in French, but I do that out of habit

I use Etatcommissariat/Etat Commissariat because it rolls off the tongue well, and it still means what I am trying to get across, Through I probably shouldn't compound it since you can't do that in French, but I do that out of habit
If you must use the French language, please use it correctly. Otherwise its just some sort of hack language that's not French.

If you must use the French language, please use it correctly. Otherwise its just some sort of hack language that's not French.

Of course I have to use the French language, the political entities in these infoboxes are French, and in the Map Thread, I was told that Etat Commissariat non compounded was alright as a term, through that better terms/translations existed, but that the term for the entities was alright, so I am staying with Etat Commissariat.

Of course I have to use the French language, the political entities in these infoboxes are French, and in the Map Thread, I was told that Etat Commissariat non compounded was alright as a term, through that better terms/translations existed, but that the term for the entities was alright, so I am staying with Etat Commissariat.
OK, but don't compound the words, alright? Etatcommissariat is not a French word.

Except you haven't, you have taken French words and put them in a German grammatical system and Romance languages don't work like that.

So, if I may propose, Commissariat d'état de Courlande would be the correct form. Although the "Commissariat de l'état" sounds really foreign-ish. Something along the lines of 'Haut-commissariat français en Courlande' would be better.

going to do an alternative to that one when i have finished the current one which will be the 2052 Election.
Then i will be Doing the Jack O'Neill one as you suggested.

Except you haven't, you have taken French words and put them in a German grammatical system and Romance languages don't work like that.

So, if I may propose, Commissariat d'état de Courlande would be the correct form. Although the "Commissariat de l'état" sounds really foreign-ish. Something along the lines of 'Haut-commissariat français en Courlande' would be better.

Well I suppose you're right, my knowledge of French is very limited, but someone told me it was okay, but that better translations existed. such as the ones you proposed.

and while the ones suggested are probably more grammatically correct, they just are really really really extremely wordy and long to say, and I only came up and used "Etat Commissariat" because it was simple and quick to the point on what it mean, even if it isn't grammatically correct..

Status
Not open for further replies.