Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice, Sebelius! The question now turns to whether Reform and the Republicans go all-out on the filibuster like they did IOTL.

I don't think that they would without a few decades of base pandering, and in a world with a multiparty system if they are too partisan and fail to produce results, they'll lose seats to another right-wing third party waiting to take their place.

I know. Do you like any President?

Other Stefan doesn't like anything or anyone from history who doesn't conform to his modern day political beliefs 105%.

And now for something completely different.

Kralj Aleksandar Ujedinitelj (King Alexander the Unifier).

attachment.php

Nice, Sebelius! The question now turns to whether Reform and the Republicans go all-out on the filibuster like they did IOTL.

I don't think that they would without a few decades of base pandering, and in a world with a multiparty system if they are too partisan and fail to produce results, they'll lose seats to another right-wing third party waiting to take their place.

Nofix got half of it right. This isn't OTL, where the Republicans can safely retreat into the conservative echo chamber, radicalize and still get 40% of the vote in swing states.

ITTL, with the implementation of the two-round system on the House & presidential level (some states have even implemented it for their gubernatorial elections), & the continued moderate/conservative struggle within the GOP means that the GOP ITTL isn't the radicalized outfit it is IOTL.

Without that radicalization, the idea of filibustering every piece of legislation President Sebelius proposes or supports is unthinkable.

Transmission: Biography of John Calhoun Bell.

A native son of Tennessee, John Calhoun Bell was a man that was not born for greatness. A man born in a nominally Jewish family, became a lawyer, and moved out west either made something of himself, or drowned in the dust. Starting off as Mayor and a judge in Colorado's District Courts, he was among the original Populists elected to Congress, and slowly rose from obscure third party congressman, to party leader, to Speaker of the House. Him, and not the dozens of hundreds of men before who followed a political pipedream ended up Speaker for 4 years. Ironic that he achieved success in the opposite house of his namesake, and ended up usurping his party.

But time came for him to retire and return home, his Whip (and semi leader of the Southern Populist bloc) Daniel Lindsay Russell was chosen in to replace him as Speaker, given his previous affiliation with the Republicans when both them and the Populists were minority parties in the South he was considered to be more able to lead and convince the GOP. Something that Bell had never been quite victorious at. For Bell retirement was something he accepted with great dignity. But years of scrapping, negotiating, and legislating did not come easy. Lucky for him (and not for someone else), around the time of his retirement Associate Justice Henry Brown had begun to lose his vision almost completely, leaving him incapable of his judicial responsibilities. He stood his ground for as long as he could, but resigned his office on the court on the 21th of November, 1906. This was the first Supreme Court nomination for new President Bryan.

William Jennings Bryan had often contacted "Ringing Bell" as he was called (for his loud and echoing voice) before Bryan had become President, and Bell Speaker. He penned a personal letter offering a return to D.C. should he be willing to trade in his Speaker's gavel for a Judges one. For Bell it wasn't a perfect replacement, but his heart longed for return to the capital in one form or another. The hardest part was getting his nomination though to the Senate, while Populist controlled even after the 1906, the body was leery of allowing the rather hot headed and temperamental Speaker as a judge. Bell's confirmation was the longest thus far, several months rather than the immediate yes or no vote. Eventually the Republicans and dissident Populists gave way to a vote, 67 ayes to 27 nay's.

Bell proved a rather solid vote for workers rights (voting to uphold law that nationalized telegraphs, strengthened the anti-trust laws, and create federal run grain deposits), and so-so on Civil Rights, often voting one way or the other on case usually voting no on public segregation, but yes on private segregation. But he did go out with a bang, his greatest civil rights work was writing the majority opinion overturning Plessy vs. Ferguson in 1929 for the case Paterson vs. Nashville General Hospital, it was the second last opinion he wrote before dying of a heart attack in his bed.

attachment.php

Sorry it took so long to get another chapter out, I wanted to do something new and figured I'd give Bell some love. Couldn't find much about the guy, so I had to improvise at parts.

Thoughts?

It took me two hours to make this, but this is a list of German Emperor's (and Empress's) or Kaiser and Kaiserin's from my TL, the Reverse Cold War, Germany won WWI and thus the Monarchy survives, up to the Modern Day, within the TL, Germany takes the role of the United Kingdom, becoming the number two power of EATU (NATO analogue) and the Eastern Democracies.

Current Empress is Viktoria I, who ascended to the throne upon the death of her great nephew, Wilhelm IV. who was assassinated on Friday the 13th, in July of 1985 by a Ugandan terrorist group for Germany's support of Israel.

yes, I know Viktoria's paternage is strange, her succeeding her Great Nephew, but I couldn't figure out anything better for her.

What does everyone think?

Untitled8.png

Last edited:
Cool. I'm curious, WWI was more or less Teutons vs. Slavs (in the prologue and start), what happens to the Balkans, Yugoslavia, and Russia in this world?

Cool. I'm curious, WWI was more or less Teutons vs. Slavs (in the prologue and start), what happens to the Balkans, Yugoslavia, and Russia in this world?

Russia basically becomes a United States expy (and thus leader of the Free World), what amounts to the Balkans and Yugoslavia, Yugoslavia remains under Austrian control/suzerentity until the end of the Second World War, when the Austrian Empire was dismantled by the allies, the Southern Slavic people united to form Yugoslavia in 1946 (including Macedonia which was seized from Bulgaria, which it had gained in WWI), the Balkans, until 1945 it remains Austria and Bulgaria's playground, after the Second World War, Yugoslavia, Greece and Albania become apart of the American version of the Havana Pact, while Bulgaria becomes a Greece expy, and Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia (which is a Kingdom), become members of EATU and loyal allies of Moscow and Berlin (EATU being the NATO analogue)

Austria itself was annexed by Germany along with the Sudetenland.

Russia basically becomes a United States expy (and thus leader of the Free World), what amounts to the Balkans and Yugoslavia, Yugoslavia remains under Austrian control/suzerentity until the end of the Second World War, when the Austrian Empire was dismantled by the allies, the Southern Slavic people united to form Yugoslavia in 1946 (including Macedonia which was seized from Bulgaria, which it had gained in WWI), the Balkans, until 1945 it remains Austria and Bulgaria's playground, after the Second World War, Yugoslavia, Greece and Albania become apart of the American version of the Havana Pact, while Bulgaria becomes a Greece expy, and Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, and Czechoslovakia (which is a Kingdom), become members of EATU and loyal allies of Moscow and Berlin (EATU being the NATO analogue)

Austria itself was annexed by Germany along with the Sudetenland.

Fascinating. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, far beyond what I've done. What do you think of my People's America (I guess that'll be the name for now) TL?

Fascinating. You've obviously put a lot of thought into this, far beyond what I've done. What do you think of my People's America (I guess that'll be the name for now) TL?

Well, when I have written almost 9 decades of history for this TL you end up putting a lot of thought into it as you expand the world more and more.

Never read it, you would have to link me, didn't even know you had a TL sadly. :(:eek:

Well, when I have written almost 9 decades of history for this TL you end up putting a lot of thought into it as you expand the world more and more.

Never read it, you would have to link me, didn't even know you had a TL sadly. :(:eek:

It's on this thread, the past four pages are where my Populists Survive Timeline is, starting here.

Thande

Donor
Great work, Lord Caedus. I would support you doing elections from other countries in the same universe, though it would also be interesting to see how the two-round system affects other U.S. elections (I believe you mentioned it would eventually come in for them) such as gubernatorial ones.

Aaand finally, here's the whole 2028 Atlantic hurricane season.

Aaand more proof of a completely lack of understanding of how Hurricane Formation works.

Given the authors unwillingness to consider why a category 5 Los Angeles Hurricane doesn't work, pointing out the problems with individual storms in this chart is useless.

Great work, Lord Caedus. I would support you doing elections from other countries in the same universe, though it would also be interesting to see how the two-round system affects other U.S. elections (I believe you mentioned it would eventually come in for them) such as gubernatorial ones.

Thankee. I don't think I said it would for all US elections, but as of 2013 ITTL, there's getting to be more and more momentum for the two-round system to be adopted both by the Senate and on the state level.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.