Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes VII (Do Not Post Current Politics or Political Figures Here)

1952 Election
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 9.39.11 PM Large.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-24 at 9.41.06 PM Large.jpeg

The Grants of Bulgaria.png

Inspired by my post in this old thread, this TL imagines what if Ulysses S. Grant was named the first Prince of Bulgaria. After meeting with the Ottoman Sultan and Tsar Alexander II the year prior on his World Tour and leaving a good impression on each (OTL), Grant's name is entertained by the first National Assembly and to the surprise of even Grant himself is picked. In truth, the Grant family had been moving closer into the orbit of European royalty since at least 1874, when Nellie Grant had wed Algernon Sartoris of minor English nobility, and on his tour across Europe the former president had brushed shoulders with all the preeminent royals of the time and shared stories of his time as president and, more importantly, as a world-renowned war general, being seen in many respects as their equal. Grant would move to Sofia along with his wife Julia Dent Grant, now Princess Julia, and the new Crown Prince Frederick and his wife Ida Marie Honoré (herself a descendant of minor French nobility) after accepting the proposal and being crowned Ulysses I, first of his name. His other two sons, Ulysses Jr. and Jesse, would themselves arrive in 1881 along with their American wives Fannie Josephine Chaffee and Elizabeth Chapman, wed earlier the year before.

All the listed monarchs are real OTL descendants of Ulysses S. Grant, were the crown to follow agnatic primogeniture laws of succession. Surprisingly, of the list, only monarchs Chaffee II, Ulysses V and Ulysses VI would have alternate parentages (assuming that the Grant's would after 1881 wed only European nobility, Ulysses Jr. and Jesse were married in 1880 both from courtships that had started the year prior in 1879, so they remain unchanged). For the images used, they are all images of their OTL counterparts, with the exception of Chaffee I, Chaffee II and Ulysses VI, of which I could find none. For Chaffee I, I used a photo of his grandfather and namesake Jerome B. Chaffee, for Chaffee II, I used a younger photo of his grandfather Ulysses Grant Jr., and for Ulysses VI, I used the photo of a different great-great grandson of Ulysses S. Grant, Ulysses Grant Dietz.

Edit: Didn't like the wall of text I originally had for Chaffee II's section, so I shortened it a bit.

Attachments

• The Grants of Bulgaria.png
    The Grants of Bulgaria.png
    331.6 KB · Views: 367
Last edited:
- Two terms presidency
- his friend as President
- more two terms presidency
))))
Taft and Teddy had a falling out so they weren't exactly friends plus 4 term Roosevelt presidency and the first thing you come up with is Putin?

Also what's with this ))))?

Idea I have for a more successful Reconstruction timeline. Basic POD is that Benjamin Butler becomes Lincoln's VP for the 1864 presidential election. The plot to assassinate Lincoln by John Wilks Booth never unfolds as in otl, and instead a separate conspiracy evolves among Confederate sympathizers and defeated Confederate veterans. On May 21, 1865 about a dozen men attack federal government officials on the outskirts of Washington as Lincoln is delivering an address. Lincoln , Grant and Seward are all killed in the attack, and Butler is injured in a separate assassination attempt. The attack outrages the North, especially after a wider conspiracy among former Confederates is revealed. Butler pursues harsher punishments against former Confederate leaders, eventually leading to the trial and execution of Confederates such as Jefferson Davis, Alexander Stephens, and Robert E. Lee.

Butler's Reconstruction sees the South put under occupation a lot quicker than in otl, with the initial slew of anti-black legislation and the election of former Confederates to office not happening as it did in otl's 1865. With this Reconstruction is a lot more radical in the beginning, with Butler backing some of the land redistribution launched by Sherman and requiring Southern constitutions to guarantee equal protection and full suffrage for black Americans. The 14th and 15th amendments are supported heavily by President Butler, with the 14th ratified by 1867 and the 15th by late 1868.

His radicalism results in an even stronger white backlash in the South, with groups such as the Red Shirts and Klan responding with incredible violence. He is almost assassinated by a member of the Klan in Northern Virginia during the 1868 presidential election campaign. The most notable insurrection occurs in 1869, with Nathan Bedford Forest launching an attack on a federal arsenal in Mississippi and sparking a white revolt. Butler suppresses it by the end of the year, and passes Enforcement Acts to break the Klan.

Overall, Butler's presidency helped prevent the full-blown redemption that saw black Americans suppressed by Jim Crow in the 1890s. Better judges and Federal Election laws passed by President Bingham prevent total disenfranchisement. There is a strong bloc of black politicians in the national government by the early 1900s and the Republican Party never abandons them given the important role they play for them in the South. States such as Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina emerge as centers of black progress in the South with the three having the most friendly political and social environments for them by the 1900s. Despite this, the United States remains an incredibly racially stratified society. Segregation is legal in most states, the racial wealth gap remains absolutely immense, and violence from white Americans remains a persistent threat.

President Butler.png

Last edited:
Overall, Butler's presidency helped prevent the full-blown redemption that saw black Americans suppressed by Jim Crow in the 1890s. Better judges and Federal Election laws passed by President Bingham prevent total disenfranchisement. There is a strong bloc of black politicians in the national government by the early 1900s and the Republican Party never abandons them given the important role they play for them in the South. States such as Louisiana, Mississippi, and South Carolina emerge as centers of black progress in the South with the three having the most friendly political and social environments for them by the 1900s. Despite this, the United States remains an incredibly racially stratified society. Segregation is legal in most states, the racial wealth gap remains absolutely immense, and violence from white Americans remains a persistent threat.
That sounds sadly realistic - that it's easier to give people the vote than to redress social inequalities. I imagine the Civil Rights Movement later on will start from a stronger base as a result.

That sounds sadly realistic - that it's easier to give people the vote than to redress social inequalities. I imagine the Civil Rights Movement later on will start from a stronger base as a result.
Yeah full-blown Radical Reconstruction that would end with the total destruction of white supremacy in the South was pretty much impossible imo. White northerners were prejudiced and ready to leave the South alone by the 1870s. But I certainly don’t think the disenfranchisement that came with Jim Crow was inevitable, and this timeline basically sees black Americans in a much stronger position politically and socially to fight for their rights in the early 20th century.