Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.
How can a candidate from a major party 'stay silent' on the 'most important issue of the election' and not piss off every voter in both parties? More importantly, how are the Democrats 'forced' to do anything except point out that their opponent's silence means they're unwilling to take a stand on the most important issue of the election?

it would be like McCain deciding to 'stay silent' about the economy in 2008 and expecting to win because his silence would force Obama to be conservative.

Well, not stay completely silent on the issue, but the Republicans had been in office for 12 years at this point in the timeline heading into the 1960 elections, and were wildly unpopular due to many failures of the administration both domestically and on the foreign stage, the Republican thought the best chance that they had to turn the winds back in their favor was to make the election about foreign policy; an area which Smathers had no experience in.

Said strategy failed.

And I took into account all the criticisms about the infobox and have edited it accordingly, is this better?

World War II.png

And I took into account all the criticisms about the infobox and have edited it accordingly, is this better?
You should flip Connecticut and Indiana to Lodge. Indiana's fairly Republican and CT is NE. Plus, the Plains and the Inner West by that point was more Republican than Democratic, so it should really have more red states. Maybe flip Ohio to Smathers as well.

Apart from that, everything looks fine and dandy.

You should flip Connecticut and Indiana to Lodge. Indiana's fairly Republican and CT is NE. Plus, the Plains and the Inner West by that point was more Republican than Democratic, so it should really have more red states. Maybe flip Ohio to Smathers as well.

Apart from that, everything looks fine and dandy.

I would remind you that Smathers won by 62 percent over 37. It's quite fine if he takes a few normally-Republican states.

And K, that's a fairly good revamp, apart from Iceland, which as I've told you before makes literally no kind of sense whatsoever. Is it really that important to your TL?

I would remind you that Smathers won by 62 percent over 37. It's quite fine if he takes a few normally-Republican states.

And K, that's a fairly good revamp, apart from Iceland, which as I've told you before makes literally no kind of sense whatsoever. Is it really that important to your TL?

Iceland being a state in the overall grand scheme of things isn't that important to my TL, but I have gotten too far into it to retcon it's existence without causing consistency and story issues (however minor); so it stays.

And, tbh, since Smathers has outperformed FDR in 32/36 and LBJ in 64, Lodge winning very many states is very surprising.

Should I have thrown more states Smathers way? I mean, even with Smathers moderating on the issue of Civil Rights, he's still a conservative Southern Democrat at heart (somewhat of a Democratic Nixon, to think about it in a way); something which I still thought would turn off some voters no matter what. Which is why I thought giving as much as I did to Lodge seemed fair despite it still being somewhat of a blowout.

Should I have thrown more states Smathers way? I mean, even with Smathers moderating on the issue of Civil Rights, he's still a conservative Southern Democrat at heart (somewhat of a Democratic Nixon, to think about it in a way); something which I still thought would turn off some voters no matter what. Which is why I thought giving as much as I did to Lodge seemed fair despite it still being somewhat of a blowout.
Maybe decrease Smathers' PV to 57%? It would still be a blowout, but not be a crushing landslide. It would make the map more realistic.

Here's the 2026 Canadian federal election.

When Justin Trudeau's Liberal government was re-elected with a second consecutive majority government (its third term overall), it was clear that the writing was on the wall for Conservative leader Jason Kenney. Not only had he twice failed to prevent the Liberals from winning a majority government, but his lack of support within his own party likely meant that the only way he'd be able to stay on as leader would be by winning the election outright. The race to succeed Kenney is contested by previous runner-up James Moore, Dianne Watts, Steven Blaney, Pierre Poilievre, Candice Bergen, and Michelle Rempel. While Moore had been the "heir apparent" ever since his strong second-place finish in 2016, his standing within the party had suffered during the Kenney years, with his lack of support for Kenney leading to frequent rumours that he was trying to force Kenney out of the leadership. With Kenney's group of supporters in the party steadfastly against Moore, Moore found himself with baggage from the get-go. Amongst the other candidates, his strongest opposition came from British Columbia MP and former Surrey mayor Dianne Watts, and Quebec MP and former cabinet minister Steven Blaney. Watts had made a name for herself as a strong member of the shadow cabinet and locally popular MP able to resist the Liberal trend in the province, while Blaney, due to the nature of the system used by the Conservatives, was able to count on a strong performance thanks to his popularity in Quebec, which he hoped would allow him to eke out a victory in a divided race. While Bergen and Rempel were popular with the Conservative base, they suffered as the party sought to avoid having a third leader in a row from the Prairies, while Poilievre, who had initially hoped to gain most of Kenney's supporters, saw his support decrease due to his divisive personality. A stumbling campaign from Moore, though, led to a narrow victory for Watts, becoming the first non-interim female Leader of the Opposition. While some speculated that the Conservatives' infighting would continue with Moore's second narrow defeat, this proved not to be the case. While Moore would offer strong support to Watts, he would opt not to run in the following election.

The NDP also went through a leadership election, as Nathan Cullen resigned after the party continued to lose seats in the 2022 election. With most of these losses coming from Quebec, it became clear that the party needed its next leader to be from that province. However, it was not clear that this would actually happen. The remaining Quebec MPs had low-profiles nationally, and were not the strongest members of the party's shadow cabinet. After several high-profile Quebec members opted not to run, Quebec City MP Raymond Cote quickly managed to win most of the support within the province. While he faced some opposition from longer, more high-profile English MPs, he was nevertheless able to win the leadership after several ballots.

With the Conservatives and NDP having selected their leaders for the next campaign, the only major question was whether Trudeau himself would run again. While he would mark his eleventh year in office by the time of the next election, becoming Canada's fifth longest Prime Minister, he was still relatively young and still personally popular (albeit less so), despite voter fatigue beginning to set in. Though his government had gone through several periods of unpopularity during its second mandate, especially after an aborted, badly handled attempt to introduce mandatory voting, little of this managed to stuck to Trudeau, who developed a reputation as the "Teflon Prime Minister," allowing him to shake off scandals and his own personal gaffes. With this in mind, Liberal members were generally in favour of Trudeau fighting another election, something he announced he would do when he marked his tenth anniversary in office in November 2025.

The 2026 election, though, would be Trudeau's toughest since he first came to office in 2015. Unlike Kenney, Watts had no history as a social conservative and was generally a moderate within her party, preventing the Liberals from running the same campaign they had run in the previous two elections. Furthermore, the Liberals suffered due to the natural disadvantage of time, as voters were beginning to feel tired after 11 years of a Liberal government. Finally, Watts proved to be a popular leader, particularly managing to increase Conservative popularity amongst women and in Ontario. Additionally, the Liberals faced a resurgent NDP in Quebec; while they still led in the province, losses could to the NDP could mean losing the election to the Conservatives. With a majority seemingly out of the question, the Liberal campaign shifted its focus to key swing areas, hoping to solidify their support in Quebec and Ontario, and limit the Conservatives' gains in British Columbia.

Evidently, this strategy paid off. The Liberals managed to hang onto government with a minority and 25 seats more than the Conservatives, with a larger than expected gap between the two both in seats and in the popular vote. Nevertheless, the Conservatives managed to gain 19 seats, primarily in Ontario, though they underperformed expectations in British Columbia, while the NDP managed to win 9, mostly in Quebec. While Liberals celebrated their win, most thoughts turned to how the next few months would unfold, including whether or not the NDP would support the Liberal minority, and whether or not Trudeau would see the Liberals into a fifth campaign. He would not.

2026.png

Canada's Future:

2026.png

Wouldn't Watts be, like, 67 during this election? Seems a bit old. Aside from that nitpick excellent update!

I just gotta say, not that surprising that a Grit like yourself would give Trudeau more than a decade in power :p;)

Wouldn't Watts be, like, 67 during this election? Seems a bit old. Aside from that nitpick excellent update!

I just gotta say, not that surprising that a Grit like yourself would give Trudeau more than a decade in power :p;)

Hey, you got Harper for at least a decade, it's only fair :p

Humphrey Coleman, the current United States Secretary of Civil Defense. Born and raised on Io, Coleman joined the Minutemen out of high school and attended the NVPA Academy on Io. Never a particularly bright student, he was a standout football player for the Academy, playing linebacker as a three-time All-Io player. His greatest strength as a leader was improvisation, a trait that served him well first as a special forces officer and later when he was the commander of all Loyalist forces on Io during the Ionian Mutiny. He was cold, brutal and efficient during the Mutiny, and it was his quick thinking that saved the bulk of the Minutemen's armored forces during the First Battle of Lone Tree. Initially he was the commander of the Bosphorus Command but was promoted quickly to Supreme Commander of American Police Forces, assuming command of Loyalist forces on Io during the Mutiny. He served as the de facto military dictator, forcing harsh martial law and conscription laws down the various Commonwealth legislatures.

He remained at his post after the Mutiny and oversaw the post-war reconstruction, at which point he was named Chief of Staff of the NVPA. He held that post for just under 3 years, eventually being forced out by President Donna Harlan-White after ongoing budget disputes. Despite his firing, Coleman remained widely popular, seen as the Defender and Liberator of Io, despite ongoing rumors of death squads and death camps that he not only allowed to exist to actually took an active part in bringing off the ground. His nomination as Thurman's Secretary of Civil Defense proved controversial, particularly among Republicans, as he was the first former Minuteman officer to be named Secretary (the NVPA is a subordinate agency within the Department of Civil Defense). However, Coleman was nominated despite a potential filibuster, and he has overseen an aggressive expansion of the Minutemen in recent years as the American frontier gets pushed further and further out. Coleman's religious views are also a bit questionable, as he's a member of the Germanic Colubmainist sect, the Germanic Altar of Freyja, which believes in the purity of the American race and the need for rapid and aggressive expansion.

jldXovh.png

Continuing the AUSA-verse (America with Australian politics). Also, you get to see the flag of America here, so yay.

American federal election, 1934
The sole term of Henry Rainey can be said to be one of the most difficult terms any Prime Minister could face, if not the most difficult.

The Great Depression hit just a few days after he took office from his Nationalist predecessor Charles Curtis.

Rainey and his Treasurer decided to adopt a radical tactic to solve the Depression, which was to prepare an program that included repaying foreign debt, provide relief to farmers and curb unemployment by stimulating the economy with deficit spending and expansionary monetary policy.

However, this was viewed as radical and was bitterly opposed by many, including the Nationalist-controlled Senate and moderate Labor figures such as ex-Premier and current MP Hiram Johnson of California. The banks and Senate blocked many of his policies.

With his party divided over financial policy, with many on the Labor Left including Upton Sinclair, Huey Long, Norman Thomas and Floyd Olson advocating inflationary tactics and the Labor Right, including Hiram Johnson, Franklin D. Roosevelt and Robert La Follette, Jr., pushing deflationary policies, Rainey found himself in a bind.

It was clear that the Left inflationary policy was rejected by the Parliament, so the state governments assembled to forge a compromise. The 'compromise' was to cut spending by 20%, including wages and pensions. Tax increases were to accompany it.

This created a split in the Labor Party, with Premier Long of Louisiana saying "The Labor Party must share the wealth to the ordinary American". Along with Premiers like Floyd Olson and Upton Sinclair, he created an "Opposition Labor Party" that many called "Long Labor".

Despite the leftists leaving, the "States' Strategy" would find fiscal conservatives splitting from the Labor Party at a state level due to disagreement with official Labor policy. In 1934, the federal party split as well due to the parliamentary Labor caucus being unable to stomach such conservative policies. Fiscal conservative Laborites founded the "United Labor Party" that quickly merged with the Nationalist Party to form the United America Party, reflecting what already happened at the state level in many states. Hiram Johnson would lead the party.

Rainey's majority, once strong and solid, was now threadbare and the man himself was tiring of the job. Labor was now split in three and it showed in state elections. The UAP and the Country Party crushed Labor governments such as that of Premier Al Smith of New York, who himself lost his seat.

The election was called after five years. Rainey prepared to lose government, but his main aim was preventing Long Labor from surpassing the official Labor Party. This he did very well, even as many Labor parliamentarians were wiped out by the coalition.

Rainey would step down from the front bench shortly after the landslide defeat as Labor found itself headless and without direction.

1934.PNG

I thought somebody would have something to say about the modern-day shogun infobox I posted earlier :(
I missed it, and no doubt others did too, probably because you posted it in the midst of a debate.

I lack the knowledge of Japanese politics to give strong commentary, other than to say it's an intriguing idea and I'm curious to know if you have a backstory for it.

Second City TV did a sketch on the World at War. It described a Nazi attack in 1943 on the World Series in St. Louis. Two battalions snuck up the Mississippi in steamboats, dressed as riverboat gamblers. Tanks were towed behind, in barges, of course. The attack was a success, and 30,000 fans were killed, but before the Nazis could return, FDR cleverly recreated the game with second place players, and nobody ever knew the difference. Hitler was in a rage when his army returned, claiming victory. Is this the "Battle of St. Louis referred to?

Status
Not open for further replies.