Alternate Wikipedia Infoboxes II

Status
Not open for further replies.

NothingNow

Banned
Any liberal actors (so we can't have Clint Eastwood, AKA the guy that talked into a chair that he pretended was Obama) that'd be pretty old in 2020?

To be fair, Eastwood was just doing that for the paycheck.

He's actually more in line with the National Democratic Party. Like, the guy's been a major advocate of Gun Control, the Equal Rights Amendment, and SSM since the 90's, also, you can't watch any of the guy's films and seriously think he's a warmonger.

He's a self-described Libertarian (and has been since the 70s,) but isn't a raging racist shitlord like the Pauls and their ilk. I mean he voted for Eisenhower FFS.

He's really like the ideal candidate for that aside from Clooney.

Vive la France!!!

1958.PNG

An Tim Pawlenty as Walter Mondale? Elise Stefanik as Geraldine Ferraro? Karyn Polito as Michael Dukakis? Mac Thornberry as Lloyd Bentsen? Tom Cotton as Bill Clinton? Stephen Fincher as Al Gore? Sergey Brin as Ross Perot?

Why Thornberry? He's just a Congressman.

<snip>

My take on the "historical thing with modern politicians" challenge. Five points to whomever can guess the OTL election this models.

Texas electors can't choose both Evans for president and Paul for vice president since they are from the same state.

And since Texas has a whopping 34 electoral votes, I really doubt that Evans would open the possibility of having either him or Paul face a contingent election in the House or Senate rather than pick someone from another state.

Texas electors can't choose both Evans for president and Paul for vice president since they are from the same state.

And since Texas has a whopping 34 electoral votes, I really doubt that Evans would open the possibility of having either him or Paul face a contingent election in the House or Senate rather than pick someone from another state.

I assume Paul did the Cheney trick and moved back to Pennsylvania or something.

I assume Paul did the Cheney trick and moved back to Pennsylvania or something.

After not living in Pennsylvania for almost four decades (assuming he would have been elected alongside Evans in 2004 in this scenario) and representing two different Texas districts in Congress?

It would be much simpler to just pick someone from a different state than to pull such transparent bullshit to get around the Twelfth Amendment.

Excellent work, Archangel Michael. Lamont seems like an interesting guy, and as for Lindelof... *shudder*

Thanks. Lamont is certainly interesting, and so is Lindelof. They're both probably war criminals, but there ain't no one who's gonna touch Lamont and Lindelof may have been fragged on orders from on high.

Do they (or the events surrounding them) feature in any stories?

Not yet. I have some ideas for Lamont, especially going forward with any possible war on Europa. As for Lindelof, I don't think Ayase Lindelof will feature anywhere. But her younger sister, Haruka Lindelof...well, I've had some ideas percelating in the back of my mind.

This is the 'Patriot Whig', 'Patriot Boys' or 'Opposition Whig' group led by Pulteney in OTL; they weren't formalised as a separate party in OTL anymore than the later Rockinghamites and Grenvillites were, but it's meant to be a marriage of eighteenth and twenty-first century attitudes so the parties have a formal identity.

So I had a further think and I thought, be bolder, Thande, be bolder! How's about this:

Alt_18th_2015elec.png

Lord Arbury, of course, is the courtesy title of the son of the Earl of Chesterton, so he is a commoner.

Some 21st century people in their 21st century offices, of course, translate back to the 18th century seamlessly. It helps if they have 18th century faces:

Alt_18th_Marquessof_Nottingham.png

My Lord Nottingham (a sort of Marquess of Lansdowne analogue) is a venerable servant of the state, not a tribal creature, and can be found in both Whig and Tory administrations. What he really likes is Fox-North coalitions. Chancellor at 26, he tried his hand at being the Queen's first minister for a season, but found it not to his taste. A defeat in the Commons on the India Bill gave him the chance to slip away.

Lord Colne, by the way, is Lindsay, eldest son of Eric Douglas Harvey, Earl of Warrington. My Lord Abersychan was a sybawite with a taste for clawet. Other peers are OTL (leaving too many barons for my liking)

Thande

Donor
So I had a further think and I thought, be bolder, Thande, be bolder! How's about this:

Very nice work! As you say, there are plenty of people now who would probably fit seamlessly into an eighteenth-century role. Great map as well.

I see you have quinquennial elections on there, so picking different bits to carry forward I guess.

Why would Portuguese-French blackmail made the Transvaal become a Dominion?

And if the OFS is keeping their 'independence' flag, the Transvaal definitely will too.

Ugh... So much focus on South Africa... Portugal being blackmailed by France caused the UK to occupy Transvaal to prevent it from falling under French influence, then had it become a Dominion in 1894 and had it adopt a flag with a Union Jack on it. The OFS didn't change it's flag to the British one yet as they were spending all of their money on the war and had not enough additional funds to actually create the new flags and put them on everything, so they postponed changing their flag until after the war, which shortly afterwards they fully joined South Africa and adopted the flag anyway. I am surprised that no one said anything about what I did with Australia and New Zealand, I would have thought people would have said something about that than South Africa.

Last edited:
Very nice work! As you say, there are plenty of people now who would probably fit seamlessly into an eighteenth-century role. Great map as well.

I see you have quinquennial elections on there, so picking different bits to carry forward I guess.
No, still seven-year Parliaments, but they can be dissolved early for any reason (and must be dissolved on the demise of the Crown). In this case the Government lost a vote through a dastardly Tory/Patriot combination (the independent-minded country gentlemen went over en masse), but the country was with Lord Yeovil after all.

Of course, forming a Government depends not on the country or the House of Commons, but on the whim of the monarch, and so:

ALt_18th_Gideon_Osborne.png

Will there have to be another election in 2016 (with Government patronage buying up the port MPs and the rotten boroughs), or will Sir Gideon sail the ship of state to the harbour of prorogation and six months' peace in August?

(I've naused up Thande's idea of Blair aka Walpole being in since 1995, so ignore this as a contribution to that)

2VM145a.jpg

The great Leviathan of the Nordic West India Company is one of the only two remaining great trading companies of the Colonial Era that remains to this day (the other is the Nordic East India Company).

The Nordic West India Company traces its history back to the Swedish West India Company, founded by Gustav III in 1786 to promote trade between Sweden, the island of Tobago that Sweden had acquired in the American War of Independence, the island of St. Bartolemeus that Sweden had bought from the French Crown shortly thereafter, and the American state of New Sweden, as its inhabitants had re-renamed Delaware as. For the first decade, the SWIC ran loses and very few expected it to survive for long (in OTL, it was dissolved in 1805). This all changed upon ██████████'s appointment as Chancery President in 179█. ██████ brought about significant reorganizations to the Company, devolving a lot of authority over to its headquarters in Skaraborg, Swedish Tobago, and granted the company further trading privileges and instuted a number of new offices in its internal organization. Within two years of the reorganization, the Company started running at a profit, which grew steadily over the years, helping Sweden pay off her massive debts incurred during the American War of Independence. Exactly how ██████ managed to make the SWIC run a profit with this reorganization is a question still debated by scholar and historians of economics, not least because much of the financial records from the early era were lost when the Company's headquarters in Skaraborg took fire in 1824, and all that historians have to go by are the vague reports given to the Riksdag and misplaced and misfiled documents. People have been able to surmise that a number of people at important posts seems to have obtained bribes, and so it is likely that the activities the Company engaged it were not strictly speaking legal. Some have suggested that the Company provided a safe harbour for pirates while taxing their loot, but it is more generally agreed upon that they simply engaged in smuggling and trading in areas beyond their charter. However the Company did find this early success, by the 1820s, by the 1820s, the SWIC had become a national treasure, and its successes gave the government the incentive to buy the colony of Guadeloupe from France in 1826. Soon, the Company expanded throughout the Caribbean and the American East Coast, while extending down into northern South America as well. Its successes were so remarkable that in 1834, the Danish King Christian VIII elected to re-establish the Danish West India Company, hoping to take part of the income, yet unlike its Swedish counterpart, the re-established DWIC ran losses up until 1867. In that year, following Nordic Reunification, the SWIC and DWIC were merged by an act of the Unionsting into the Nordic West India Company. By the 1880s, however, the NWIC started running losses and had to be bailed out by the Nordic government. In 1891, the Imperial Nordic government took over control of the administration of Guadeloupe, Tobago and the other Nordic West Indian islands (creating the Grand Duchies of Guadeloupe and Tobago), and started selling off most of its shares in the company, losing majority control.

It was believed that the NWIC would soon go the way of the other West India Companies, when in the early 20th century, the Sunset War brought about the fall of the British Empire. Like its sister company, the NEIC, the NWIC seized on the opportunity and started expanding in the Caribbean and Latin America, taking over territories where British interests had once ruled supremely, and begun growing significantly. It was soon hired to provide public administration of certain port towns, and to back this up, the NWIC greatly enlarged its private military wing. From thereon, it would go on to become the largest corporate power in the western hemisphere.

Today, the Company owns the territories of Panama, Caracas, El Callao and Amapá (each governed by a Director-Lieutenant), the New York State Canal System, and has managed to buy up several corporations in the hemisphere, making them mere subsidiaries. They issue their own passports, have their own universities, and their private army is bigger than many nations in the area.

Status
Not open for further replies.