Alternate warships of nations

Ì would expect a frigate , crew of 120-150, would have rifles for around a third of the crew, some of whom will be trained in counter-boarding. There will be a few medium qnd heavy machine guns available and these will be deployed if anything is suspected.

Also I really wouldn't class the Marina Militare as "third rate", they are as professional as any First World NATO force.
My apologies wasn’t meant to be offensive
I think 1970 to 1990s
US is 1st rate
Uk France and japan 2nd rate
Everyone else is 3rd rate

I would think that at least 2 to 3 boat with like 10 to 12 boarders each would be needed
On a frigate sized ship I’m not sure how many of the crew members are armed with automatic weapons ( For a third rate navy like Italian or Egyptian for example). These marines would be the primary anti boarding force.
I doubt any half decent navy (which would certainly include the Italians) doesn't have multiple GPMG/fifty-cal/Miniguns mounted in any area where boarding is possible, plus the autocannon/CIWS most ships have these days. You don't need to be a Marine to shred a Rhib with a machine gun.

My apologies wasn’t meant to be offensive
I think 1970 to 1990s
Oooo even better... may I present the italian Alpino-class and it's 6x76mm guns, with a ROF of 55+RPM? Or the Audace-class, with 2x127mm and 4x76mm? Or the 850ton Pietro de Cristofaro corvettes, who still managed to cram 2x76mm plus ASW weapons... let's see some pirates try to board these!

Seriously, Cold War Italy had a real hard-on for gunsgunsguns. I guess that WWII trauma and lack of trust in missiles did that...

Oooo even better... may I present the italian Alpino-class and it's 6x76mm guns, with a ROF of 55+RPM? Or the Audace-class, with 2x127mm and 4x76mm? Or the 850ton Pietro de Cristofaro corvettes, who still managed to cram 2x76mm plus ASW weapons... let's see some pirates try to board these!

Seriously, Cold War Italy had a real hard-on for gunsgunsguns. I guess that WWII trauma and lack of trust in missiles did that...

OTO Melara be like: Stonks

Driftless

Donor

Maybe some concern for the goings-on on the Southern and Eastern Shore of the Med in 50s till now? I'd think that an Italian warship Captain had a fair amount of latitude for responding to imminent threats with little to no warning, so give him the tools for the job.

Why not trust missiles they made some great AshM in OTL

Why not trust missiles they made some great AshM in OTL
Those guns, while dual-purpose, were primarily for air defence. In the narrow confines of the Med, or worse, the Adriatic, you need something that works quickly and efectively, vs an enemy that will pop up with very little warning. The early generations of air defence missiles were not very good at dealing with this.

In the 1918-1923 period does the following ship sound plausible?

35-40k, 28 knot, 12in AoN belt, 4x2 380mm guns, 6x2 150mm guns, 8,000 nm range? How far along the spectrum would the ship be on the displacement side?

it’s basically a middle ground between the QE’s and Hood so would obviously displace in the ballpark but I am curious where in the park it fits.

35-40k, 28 knot, 12in AoN belt, 4x2 380mm guns, 6x2 150mm guns, 8,000 nm range? How far along the spectrum would the ship be on the displacement side?

it’s basically a middle ground between the QE’s and Hood so would obviously displace in the ballpark but I am curious where in the park it fits.
So, basically, you're trying for a Francesco Caracciolo, which fits all the specs on 34,000 tons. Now, the Italians by that time considered the deck armor and underwater protection inadequate, but you've also got raft body armor and better boiler tech available to reallocate weight to those.

So, yeah, very plausible.

Forgot about the Italian BB.
So add some strengthening to the hull, a bit broader armor coverage, and more fuel and your looking at a ship in the 37-40k range probably

This would be the logical follow up to the Queen Elizabeth Class, laid down starting in late 1916 and commissioning from 1919 through to 1921.

Would have probably required not building the admiral class. Of course unlike the Admiral class not likely to suffer a major post Jutland redesign so the entire class would be finished enough by the end of the war to be completed. Plus still fast enough to be seriously useful in WWII

could a graf zeppelin like cv (a ship with similar specs) be built by germany after a hypothetical victory in ww1, either from the keel up or by converting a battle cruiser hull in the early 1920’s?

could a graf zeppelin like cv (a ship with similar specs) be built by germany after a hypothetical victory in ww1, either from the keel up or by converting a battle cruiser hull in the early 1920’s?

Sure, other than all the 6" guns Graf Zeppelin isn't an all that special or impressive carrier design.