Alternate Planets, Suns, Stars, and Solar Systems Thread

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by Red Arturoist, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Tangle Well-Known Member

The Federalized Republic of Howard's Landing
    I imagine any and all of these could be effected by very slight differences in gravity's effect on Earth- a few misplaced coronal mass ejections, perhaps the drag of gravity on different continents over the years.

2. Christory Well-Known Member

Any of y'all remember this? Well I un-terrformed everything I could (and updated Triton's topography).

The only bits that remain terraformed are the asteroid cylinders and Jupiter's four large moons.

I look forward to seeing anything that can use this.

Edit: Removed terraformed (habiat-iformed?) asteroids, un-terrafromed Io and Europa

Edit 2: Removed empty Trojans category, un-terraformed Ganymede, cleaned up orbit maps

Edit 3: Changed lots of colors, darkified the background, added lots of objects, un-terraformed Callisto, removed unused Scattered Disc symbols and key. This update wouldn't have happened without Nucleep, big shoutout to him.

Edit 4: Changed the color of Titan's seas, changed the colors of Pluto and Charon, added countries and stuff to Earth using the THICC color scheme (shoutout to Tethys00 for the latter).

So... I think this is the final version.

[​IMG]

Oh, I also made a version that shows some present-day alliances: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/551528970495983628/564036131285630976/2025_alliances.png

Last edited: Apr 6, 2019
  3. Coyote Knight Witch-King of the Apiary

Still needs work, butt at least the major landmasses are done. Now I just need more islands, need to finish cleaning up lines, and put in more rivers and lakes.

Attached Files:

Uralicker and Peppe like this.
  4. HowAboutThisForAName Manservant to Melon the Mischievous Mog

To Rise Into The Air And Float There

[​IMG]

This piece is pretty self-explanatory, so I don't really need a writeup. Hey look, Isaac's finally actually made visual content rather than weird gifs and nonsense. This is a part of my 'hard sci fi' world I've just recently crafted called 'A Garden of Stars', detailing Humanity's slow and gradual spread into the surrounding stellar neighbourhood. Though I'm leading with Lalande 21185 it will remain mysterious for the broad extent of this project, as I don't want to just splurge all the mysteries and world building in one go. There's a lot more to come!

The title is a silly little misapplication of a quote by Jerome Lalande, who the system is named after. "It is entirely impossible for man to rise into the air and float there. For this you would need wings of tremendous dimensions and they would have to be moved at three feet per second. Only a fool would expect such a thing to be realized." Very whimsical. ​

5. Christory Well-Known Member

Can someone pleeeeeease tell me which ones are correct? I need to know to complete the un-terrafromed solar system map.

6. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer! Gone Fishin'

For Ganymede, based on this photo:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The darker regions are higher than the lighter regions, so this
    [​IMG]
    would be correct.

Callisto is heavily cratered, so this:
    [​IMG]
    would be more accurate, although there probably should be land at the poles.

Archangel, Christory, Miner and 2 others like this.
  7. TrucKola Raccoon Emperor of Gaulish Brennusia

Callisto reminds me of Canada and Finland.

TOO MANY LAKES.

8. Christory Well-Known Member

Are you sure? The other version may have had tons of craters too, it's just that the "sea level" might've been too high to show most of them.

But thanks for clarifying Ganymede.

9. ST15RM Ich bin ein AH.commer! Gone Fishin'

I did not find ANY elevation maps for Callisto BTW, so fair enough.

10. Nucleep Multidimensional Reality Breaker/Honorary ASB

[​IMG]
    So I decided to modify the old Solar System map and combine a few more things from others.

All maps belong to their original creators, I just assembled them together.

EDIT:
    I should really have scrolled up before putting this map here. It'd do me a bit of good.
    Disclaimer: I was doing this *independent* of the project above, and did not intend to steal their idea. I'm free to collaborate, though!

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  11. Christory Well-Known Member

I wouldn't worry about the similarity. And you've done a great job (at least you've solved my Callisto problem).

By the way, where did you get the interstellar map from?

12. Nucleep Multidimensional Reality Breaker/Honorary ASB

Surprisingly, this map game.
    Don't know where they got that from though.

13. Cantra Well-Known Member

Something I am currently working on. I am hoping to do more pole shift things to other planets too. Can someone alter the moon to look like a completely different moon with a more of a red-orange tint? With these things I have a bit of trouble editing land masses and making them look right and for the Earth one and maybe make the planets look a bit different and such? I cut in a different map for the earth and turned Mars upside down.
    [​IMG]

14. Selvetrica Duke of Corn

The only suggestion I would make is on the spiral solar map change the photos of planets to pixel graphics of them. It looks a little odd with the mix of photo realism and worlda.

15. Christory Well-Known Member

So, now I need some help. As part of another timeline, there are seven specific points I need to get highlighted, four on the moon and three on Mars, to the nearest pixel. Those locations are:

Lalande Crater

Shackleton Crater

Hinshelwood Crater

The location of Artemis in the novel Artemis, as shown below

https://i.imgur.com/BvrYTPN.jpg

The location of Project Destiny's Mars colony, as shown below
    https://i.imgur.com/tgd7ZtB.jpg

The initial landing site of the Curiosity rover

The peak of Olympus Mons

I have my hands too full to do it, so I hope someone can help.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2019
  16. Jürgen Well-Known Member

A map of a terraformed Trappist-1
    TerraformedTrappist1.png

I don't have a full idea with it.

As for the planets

Planet B: The planet have no atmosphere and are a schorched wasteland on the day side, while the night side are dominated by vast glacier. There's human settlements on the night side on the border of the glaciers. Interesting one of the more populated worlds in the system.

Planet C: the planet are pretty much a hotter version of Venus, terrafoeming was given up, and the human presense are sky cities, who harvest the rich atmosphere.

Planet D: This planet are in theory to close to Trappist-1 to stay habitable, and was original somewhat venus like. But the human colonist succeed in terraforming it into ocean world. the human colonists dwell on floating cities. The biosphere are in general poor, thanks to the deep oceans. But aquaculture produce massive amount of food and even enrich the wild biosphere.

Planet E: the day side are home to a massive desert, while the the night side are home to massive glaciers. A small and rich (feed by the glaciers) ring ocean lies in the twilight zone and the vast majority of the population lives on the coastline of this ocean.

Planet F: Quite similar to Planet D, but the lifeless desert are far smaller, and the habitable zone reach farther into the day side. While the glaciers reach further into the twilight zone.

Planet G: An eye ball earth, dominated by a vast ocean, but it's more shallow than planet D. the planet have a very rich biosphere and the colonist dwell on floating cities.

Planet H: This planet shouldn't be habitable, but are kept habitable thanks to a dense atmosphere. Few people live on the planet.

Edit: a special thanks to @Selvetrica to have inspired the map.

17. Christory Well-Known Member

Now I really hope someone can begin work on a QBAM of this, at least for all the large objects. We already have Earth, Luna and Mars but there's plenty more that could use QBAMs too.