Alternate Non-Religious US Mottos

I disagree with your assessment. Even at the time of the revolution, this was a diverse country. Germans, English, Irish, Scots, French, and soon after more. Clearly, this was a nation of many peoples melding to become one from the start.

The English, Scots and Scots-Irish would all have been considered good Anglo-Saxon stock by the ruling class. The French were only a tiny percentage of the American population. The Dutch and Germans were larger, but still minorities and considered cousins of the Anglo-Saxons (who were German tribes originally).

Anyway, whatever our debates about the reality, the point is how the ruling class saw America. And they always saw it as an Anglo-Saxon nation, even if it did have 'troublesome' minorities like Africans and Irish.

"The idea that the United States is, or should be, "a nation of immigrants", not only non-Germanic but non-white, would have struck most Americans before World War II as bizarre."

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id...AbD7oDADw&ved=0CE0Q6AEwBw#v=onepage&q&f=false

I prefer “Life, Liberty, Property”.

But you don’t have the right to property. It’s “life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness” in our documents, anyway.

The “pursuit of happiness” bit is much too vague in my opinion.

That’s the point.

Property is a basic fundamental right.

Nope.

Ownership of one's self is necessary for all other rights.

People are by definition not property.

The US didn't actually have a national motto until 1954,despite many good contenders,with both e pluribus unum and novo ordus seclorum appearing on American currency. "In God we Trust" was selected in 1956,after a big protest by Conservative and religious groups.

"In God We Trust" has an older history than that. While it was formally adopted as a motto then, it has appeared on U.S. currency off and on since the mid-19th century (and continuously since 1938).

E Pluribus Unum. "From many, one"

I like this not only because it is already a motto the US uses, it has a variety of meanings, all positive and accurate: It reflects the origins and structure of the US as a federation of states, and also acknowledges and celebrates the fact that Americans come from all parts of the world and have become part of a single, diverse, "American" nation.

E Pluribus Unum. "From many, one"

I like this not only because it is already a motto the US uses, it has a variety of meanings, all positive and accurate: It reflects the origins and structure of the US as a federation of states, and also acknowledges and celebrates the fact that Americans come from all parts of the world and have become part of a single, diverse, "American" nation.

Alternate mottos!