Alternate Names for Western Canada

Isaac Beach

Banned
Exactly what it says on the tin. I've been making a map to this affect and I have a few ideas, namely Columbia, New Hibernia/Caledonia, Cascadia but by gum they're very overused. Anyone have any ideas? And maybe for Canada in general if it hits you.

I should also note that on this map Canada is a Kingdom due to London being less shy about their imperialism after intervening in the US civil war, if that influences your naming choices at all.

Kinda surprised nobody's come up with this one yet.

Exactly what it says on the tin. I've been making a map to this affect and I have a few ideas, namely Columbia, New Hibernia/Caledonia, Cascadia but by gum they're very overused. Anyone have any ideas? And maybe for Canada in general if it hits you.

I should also note that on this map Canada is a Kingdom due to London being less shy about their imperialism after intervening in the US civil war, if that influences your naming choices at all.

Honestly, why not Assiniboia? There was even a territory by this name IOTL until about 1905, when it was merged with the new province of Saskatchewan.

If Canada is a kingdom then why don't you merely name the Western province after the monarch's name, spouse's name, or House name?

Isaac Beach

Banned
To be fair my Canadian historical know-how is sketchier than my American, and that's more disjointed than a dislocated cloud of gas with ADD.

Columbia refers to the river, so is only applicable for BC, really. Caledonia is the name of an Anglican Diocese in interior BC. Hibernia? No - most everyone hated (or at least looked down on) the Irish. Cascadia, again, refers to the mountains - and is pretty much a US term. Since the various ranges get compressed together, they're all just called 'Rocky Mountains' in Canada.

Borealia, Prairies Kingdom, Victoria

Just some ideas
As long as you name the place Victoria before the city on Vancouver Island gets named, that might work.

Honestly, why not Assiniboia? There was even a territory by this name IOTL until about 1905, when it was merged with the new province of Saskatchewan.
Because "Assiniboia" is a direct reference to the Nakota / Stoney / Assiniboine First Nation, and the river named after them. Both in southern Manitoba (and south east Saskatchewan).

-------
Rupertsland would be the obvious choice, IMO.

Failing that, some name off a Royal, as mentioned above, (e.g. OTL's Alberta, Maryland, Carolina, Virginia) or royal demain (e.g. New Brunswick, after the Brunswick territory of the Hannover kings; New York (duke of york)).

How west? Are we just discussing BC or everything west of Ontario?

Rupertsland seems doable. Hudsonia maybe? Borealia? Selkirk(land/ia)?

How west? Are we just discussing BC or everything west of Ontario?

Rupertsland seems doable. Hudsonia maybe? Borealia? Selkirk(land/ia)?

Rupertsland wouldn't really work out after a point(people are going to start moving to Canada at some point), nor would Hudsonia-the main issue with the latter is that it's too local of a name to really apply well to the whole country, though it'd make a great name for a territory centered around Hudson Bay(particularly it's southern half, if you ask me).

Athabaska.

Would be a great name for a northern territory but, somewhat like Hudsonia, might be just a little too localized to a particular feature to really work(Edit: on the other hand, though, although it's usually interpreted to mean "place of reeds", IIRC, it can also be alternatively interpreted to mean "place of grass" so there may be some versatility after all.)

. The OTL advantage that Saskatchewan had, I would say, was that the river it was named after was a fairly large one and could have been plausibly used for any territories between OTL Central Manitoba and the Rockies of Alberta. The Assiniboine River is rather smaller but the people who gave it it's name could potentially have been more spread out.....although it might take a fair number of PODs to make it work, I'd think it at least plausible, even if not super likely.

So, although it's not one of my preferred choices, I think Borealia might just be the most workable choice of any of the ones mentioned here-a rather large part of OTL Canada *is* still forested even today, after all, so the name is rather versatile, it can be used either for the entire TTL country or just a territory or province.

Rupertsland wouldn't really work out after a point(people are going to start moving to Canada at some point), nor would Hudsonia-the main issue with the latter is that it's too local of a name to really apply well to the whole country, though it'd make a great name for a territory centered around Hudson Bay(particularly it's southern half, if you ask me).
??? Rupertsland is the HBC territory - all the land where water flows into Hudson's Bay. What's now northern Ontario and Québec wasn't a significant part of the territory, so dropping that isn't going to be a problem, and the HBC ran OTL's BC even if it wasn't in the original charter.

What's your objection with Rupertsland? I don't understand.

Isaac Beach

Banned
Oh my this is getting more traffic than I thought.
The state includes BC, Yukon, the northern half of Alberta, most of the North-West Territories, as well as part of Oregon and Alaska. If that helps.