Alternate Names for Idaho

Named after a river seems most likely. Although Blackfoot would be most interesting because it atleast impies native involvement in the creation of the state government early on.

The place where the border drawers gave up on straight Lines and decided to just do squiggles all over the place?

TFSmith121

Banned
West Wyoming?

North Utah?

East Oregon?

South Alberta?

Gemland?

Greater Potatoia?

The Great State of Wobegon?

Best,

In my TL, Idaho (with slightly different borders) is called Jefferson after the Jefferson Territory it was carved out of.

Spudsylvania?

I guess they didn't grow a large amount of spuds at the time. Actually, they might not do so now. Grant County in Washington is the largest potato producing county in the country me thinks.

Besides Idaho, what name could have been given to our 43rd state? I've considered Bitterroot, Blackfoot, and Clearwater.

Either Boise or Appaloosa could work.
Paluice is what I called the province composed of OTL western Washington + northern Idaho in Course of Human Events. (OTL spelling is Palouse; could be spelled Paluce or Paloose as well).

Apparently these wee the local tribes at the time of contact:

idaho.jpg

So that points in the direction of "State of Shoshone". Or "United People's Democratic Republic of Shoshone and Bannock (and Kootenai Plantations)"

Shoshone, Paiute or Bannock are good ones if you are naming it after a tribe. Nez Perce could be bastardized as Nesperce. (I think all of these are more likely than blackfoot).

The Snake River, used to also be known as the Saptin River, so Saptin is another good one. Yam-pah-pa and Ki-moo-e-nim are the native names, so you can bastardize them into Yampahpa or Kimoinim.

Palouse or Appaloosa could work if you going for the tributary, but the snake river is more prominent.

Jefferson, & Lincoln get thrown around if you going for a President's name.

Otherwise, Boise works to.

Shoshone and Bannock seen likely. Maybe Bannock, cause it sounds more English?

Maybe a more recent president, if you're going for that. Harrison was predisent when it was admitted, so maybe that?

Shoshone and Bannock seen likely. Maybe Bannock, cause it sounds more English?

Maybe a more recent president, if you're going for that. Harrison was president when it was admitted, so maybe that?

It's either tradition or law that says you can't name a state after a person, living or dead. The sole exception was Washington. It's more likely that they'd choose a tribal name or a geographical landmark, like rivers, forests, and the like.