Alternate List of Billboard#1 Hits

Well, it can't rip off its chorus structure from the non-existent Somebody That I Used To Know, so that's two reasons I'd be a lot more appreciative of this song. ;)

Well, not every thing's from OTL, first, the video is much more dignified and not as stupid, and it's a bit more downbeat.

Does Linkin Park exist ITTL? Fort Minor seems to be a solo project from the mid 90s onward in this timeline, so I assume Linkin Park never formed.

Gotcha.

August 20, 2000- " Wrecking Ball" by Ninah Skylight
August 27, 2000- " Wrecking Ball" by Ninah Skylight
September 3, 2000- " Pressure" by Ryan2

September 10th, 2000: "Pressure" by Ryan2
September 17th, 2000: "Secret Smile" by Trip Shakespeare*
September 24th, 2000: "Secret Smile" by Trip Shakespeare

*1995 breakup was averted ITTL. Also, with no grunge to draw from, they rely more on the piano for their instrumental focus.

Last edited:
September 10th, 2000: "Pressure" by Ryan2
September 17th, 2000: "Secret Smile" by Trip Shakespeare*
September 24th, 2000: "Secret Smile" by Trip Shakespeare

*1995 breakup was averted ITTL. Also, with no grunge to draw from, they rely more on the piano for their instrumental focus.

This development is awesome, especially if their ATL equivalent to Semisonic's All About Chemistry album (IMO an underappreciated gem OTL) gets popular!

This development is awesome, especially if their ATL equivalent to Semisonic's Chemistry album (IMO an underappreciated gem OTL) gets popular!

Heh, well I figured that since the charts were trending more towards alt-rock in the past year or two, I might as well pull out some underrated material from that time. The Wilsons were the first thing to pop into my head after Barenaked Ladies.

1st of October, 2000: "Secret Smile" by Trip Shakespeare
8th of October, 2000: "Bless My Soul" by Madonna
15th of October, 2000: "Bless My Soul" by Madonna

Event: Madonna releases her 'spiritual opus' to high sales. The first single released (Bless My Soul) tops the charts, opening at 22 and climbing up quickly. The reviews were also surprisingly positive, with her vocals being praised and the understated nature of the lyrics contrasted with the bombast of the production. The only thing that people don't like is Madonna herself, who is berated for her over religious and 'strange' live performances, with live exorcisms taking place regularly on stage. The world does not know what t think of this new Madonna, but they'll definitely watch her.

22nd of October, 2000: "Bless My Soul" by Madonna
29th of October, 2000: "Bless My Soul" by Madonna
5th of November, 2000: "Bless My Soul" by Madonna

12th November 2000 - Spinning Around - Kylie Minogue
19th November 2000 - Rock DJ - Robbie Williams
26th November 2000 - Rock DJ - Robbie Williams

December 3rd, 2000: "Pinch Me" by Barenaked Ladies
December 10th, 2000: "Pinch Me" by Barenaked Ladies
December 17th, 2000: "Pinch Me" by Barenaked Ladies

December 24, 2000: " Ms. Jackson" by Outkast
December 31, 2000: " Ms. Jackson" by Outkast
January 7, 2001: " Ms. Jackson " by Outkast

January 14th, 2001: "Ms. Jackson"- Outkast
January 21st, 2001: "Rockin' the Suburbs"- Ben Folds featuring Weird Al and William Shatner*
January 28th, 2001: "Ms. Jackson"- Outkast

*The highly respected Ben Folds gets his first solo hit (The Ben Folds Five entered the Top 40 twice with "Brick" reaching #8 and "Song for the Dumped reaching #12) with a joke song he made with two of his friends.

February 4th, 2001: "Ms. Jackson" by Outkast
February 11th, 2001: "Ms. Jackson" by Outkast
February 18th, 2001: "Ms. Jackson" by Outkast

February 25th 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez
March 4th 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez
March 11th 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez

Last edited:
Between Santana and now this, it seems some Latin stuff is still trickling into this timeline, despite my strategic sidelining of Los Del Rio. Unavoidable, I suppose.

January 14th 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez
January 21st 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez
January 28th 2001 - Love Don't Cost a Thing - Jennifer Lopez

Those dates should be February 25th, March 4th, and March 11th, just so no one is lost.

March 18th, 2001: "Love Don't Cost a Thing"- Jennifer Lopez
March 25th, 2001: "The Property of a Lady"- Ryan2
April 4th, 2001: "The Property of a Lady"- Ryan2

April 11th, 2001: "Act Naturally" by Trip Shakespeare
April 18th, 2001: "Act Naturally" by Trip Shakespeare
April 25th, 2001: "Act Naturally" by Trip Shakespeare

Event:

April 2001: After EMI Records refuses to sign a licensing deal with them, the small-scale record label S-Curve Records goes under. Many of the artists signed to the label begin searching for other patrons, but Bahamanian act The Baha Men instead split up, pursuing smaller projects.*

*If I didn't do this, someone would be depraved enough to inflict Who Let The Dogs Out on America, I just know it.

May 2nd, 2001: "Act Naturally" by Trip Shakespeare
May 9th, 2001: "Not A Word" by Britney Spears ft Ryan2
May 16th, 2001: "Run Into The Sun" by Justin and Christina

Last edited:
May 2, 2001: "I Just Wanna Love U" by Jay-Z feat. Pharrell
May 9, 2001: "I Just Wanna Love U" by Jay-Z feat. Pharrell
May 16, 2001: " Out the Window" by Sugar Ray

Dammit, I hadn't quite decided what to do with Pharrell in this timeline yet. He was a rapper/producer IOTL, but he's also shown proficiency as an R&B singer, so there's a lot of flexibility there. Of course, Zac went and made Eminem a rock guitarist, so I may be thinking too inside the box still.

May 23rd, 2001: "I Just Wanna Love U" by Jay-Z ft. Pharrell
May 30th, 2001: "Ice Queen" by Within Temptation*
June 7th, 2001: "Ice Queen" by Within Temptation

Where there's Nightwish, so too must there be WT. ;)

* Dutch symphonic metal band Within Temptation break through to number one with the lead single from their Mother Earth album. However, they had had some prior success in 1997-1998 in the wake of Nightwish, with the song Pearls of Light reaching number 18 on the Hot 100. Likewise, the following single Mother Earth would reach number six the following August.

Last edited:
June 13th 2001 - I Will Survive - Mitchell Olsen*
June 20th 2001 - I Will Survive - Mitchell Olsen
June 27th 2001 - I Will Survive - Mitchell Olsen

*Due to Mitchell Olsen going a lot further on Survivor: The Australian Outback, his survivor based parody version of I Will Survive becomes a sensation and he is signed on by a record company with the track being released as a single.

Event June 2001: When Christian Music Label Red Hill Records go bankrupt, 16 year old singer Katy Hudson is signed on by MJ Records who have spotted her potential and due to potential confusion with actress Katie Hudson convince her to change her name to Katy Perry (Perry being her mother's maiden name). They also buy the rights to her album and songs produced at Red Hill. Her 1st single under MJ Records "Faith Won't Fail" is announced to have a release date of September 10th 2001.

Last edited: