Alternate List of Billboard#1 Hits

I've been absent from this for too long. Time to make up for that! :D

November 6th, 1999: "Nothing in the World" - Britney Spears feat. Michael Jackson
November 13th, 1999: "Smooth (Forget About It)" - Santana feat. Rob Thomas
November 20th, 1999: "Smooth (Forget About It)" - Santana feat. Rob Thomas

November 27th 1999 - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden*
December 4th 1999 - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden
December 11th 1999 - - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden

* Butterflies mean this is released a couple of months earlier than OTL

November 27th 1999 - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden*
December 4th 1999 - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden
December 11th 1999 - - I Knew I Loved You - Savage Garden

* Butterflies mean this is released a couple of months earlier than OTL

Lovely, I was short a few ideas. :D

December 18th, 1999: "I Knew I Loved You" by Savage Garden
December 25th, 1999: "I Knew I Loved You" by Savage Garden
January 1st, 2000: "Breathe" by Faith Hill*

*Instrumentation is even more overtly pop ITTL, although the lyrics are the same.

Events/Changes:

January 1st, 2000: The trend towards pop/country has provoked a backlash among traditional country fans and artists. One San Antonio DJ famously derides Faith Hill as "the biggest pop star in the history of country music". Significantly, the same week that Faith Hill's "Breathe" tops the charts also saw the Alan Jackson/George Strait protest ballad "Murder on Music Row" take the Top 40 on airplay alone.

Last edited:
January 8th, 2000: "Breathe" by Faith Hill
January 15th, 2000: "Why Did You Lie" by Justin and Christina
January 22nd, 2000: "Why Did You Lie" by Justin and Christina

Event: Madonna announces the release date of her album 'Spiritual Love', in which she worked with Church of the Moon songwriter Miles Norton to create an album that will impress both her new churchy-friends and show how great her faith is. It is set for late-February/early-March. Everyone is scared.

Event: Madonna announces the release date of her album 'Spiritual Love', in which she worked with Church of the Moon songwriter Miles Norton to create an album that will impress both her new churchy-friends and show how great her faith is. It is set for late-February/early-March. Everyone is scared.

That last line is deliciously meta. I await further developments with equal parts curiosity and dread.

January 29th, 2000: "Why Did You Lie"- Justin and Christina
February 5th, 2000: "Why Did You Lie"- Justin and Christina
February 12th, 2000: "The Fight Song (Remix)"- Marilyn Manson featuring René Dif, Fort Minor, and Baskutt Käse*

*Fictional rapper

Events: January 30th, 2000: Warner Bros signs the band "The Electric Puppets", consisting of Jack White on guitar and back up vocals, Dick Valentine on lead vocals, Marshall Mathers on bass, and Ben Blackwell on drums.

February 19th, 2000: "The Fight Song (Remix)" by Marilyn Manson ft. Rene Dif, Fort Minor and Baskutt Kase
February 26th, 2000: "Earthquake" by Ostrava Minh*
March 4th, 2000: "Earthquake" by Ostrava Minh

*An ATL counterpart to indie pop musician Vienna Teng. Minh's songwriting is similar in its cerebral (read: nerdy) bent, but her music is more oriented towards piano rock than indie pop. Also, she is of Vietnamese descent rather than Taiwanese.

Event:

February 14th, 2000: Surprised by the strong reception it's received on country radio, MCA Nashville belatedly releases "Murder on Music Row" as a single. By March 4th, the song has reached number 25 on the Hot 100.

Last edited:
January 29th, 2000: "Why Did You Lie"- Justin and Christina
February 5th, 2000: "Why Did You Lie"- Justin and Christina
February 12th, 2000: "The Fight Song (Remix)"- Marilyn Manson featuring René Dif, Fort Minor, and Baskutt Käse*

*Fictional rapper

Events: January 30th, 2000: Warner Bros signs the band "The Electric Puppets", consisting of Jack White on guitar and back up vocals, Dick Valentine on lead vocals, Marshall Mathers on bass, and Ben Blackwell on drums.

OTL Fort Minor wasn't formed until 2004, once Mike Shinoda had already had success with Linkin Park.

March 11th, 2000: "Maria Maria" - Santana feat. Product G&B
March 18th, 2000: "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" - The O-Town Five
March 25th, 2000: "Show Me the Meaning of Being Lonely" - The O-Town Five

Event:

March 16th, 2000: Warner Bros. Records signs Liv Tyler, 22-year-old daughter of the late lead singer of Aerosmith Steven Tyler, to a recording contract.

April 20th 2000:"I Know, I Know"--Michael Jackson
April 27th 2000:"Devil"--Paul McCartney ft. Janet Jackson
May 4th 2000:"Devil"--Paul McCartney ft. Janet Jackson

Events:

March 1st 2000:Michael Jackson has a near death experience when hit by a car when walking to a meeting, and he writes a song based on his experience.

March 20th 2000:paul McCartney runs into Janet Jackson at a Hotel.

May 11th, 2000: "I Hear Voices" by Zooey Deschanel
May 15th, 2000: "I Hear Voices" by Zooey Deschanel
May 22nd, 2000: "I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack

May 29, 2000: " I Hope You Dance" by Lee Ann Womack
June 5, 2000: " Try Again" by Aaliyah feat. Timbaland
June 12, 2000: " Try Again" by Aaliyah feat. Timbaland

OTL Fort Minor wasn't formed until 2004, once Mike Shinoda had already had success with Linkin Park.

Does Linkin Park exist ITTL? Fort Minor seems to be a solo project from the mid 90s onward in this timeline, so I assume Linkin Park never formed.

June 19th, 2000: " Try Again"- Aaliyah feat. Timbaland
June 26th, 2000: "One More Time"- The Robots
July 3rd, 2000: "One More Time"- The Robots

Well, we certainly have our song of the summer for this year. :cool:

July 10th, 2000: "One More Time" by The Robots
July 17th, 2000: "One More Time" by The Robots*
July 24th, 2000: "One More Time" by The Robots

*"Murder on Music Row" peaks at number three this week.

Last edited:
July 31st 2000:"One More Time" by the Robots
August 6th 2000:"One More Time" by the Robots
August 13 2000:"Wrecking Ball" by Ninah Skylight*

*Fictional Singer, think Adele combined with Lorde.

And yes, that is OTL's Wrecking Ball.

July 31st 2000:"One More Time" by the Robots
August 6th 2000:"One More Time" by the Robots
August 13 2000:"Wrecking Ball" by Ninah Skylight*

*Fictional Singer, think Adele combined with Lorde.

And yes, that is OTL's Wrecking Ball.

Well, it can't rip off its chorus structure from the non-existent Somebody That I Used To Know, so that's two reasons I'd be a lot more appreciative of this song. ;)