Alternate Large US Cities

The Twin Cities are a successfully large city. The American system of city limits is misleading, as it is the metro area that counts. The core cities of St. Louis and New Orleans are quite small compared to the metro areas.

Oh, I don't disagree. But if the challange is to get a city of over a million (as I got out of the OP) you'd need to facilitate a broader metro development/population attraction to centeral MN. Having the urban core more consolidated is one way you might be able to help faciliate that, particularly if it leads to early development of very bussiness-friendly policies like large industry zoning.

Oh, I don't disagree. But if the challange is to get a city of over a million (as I got out of the OP) you'd need to facilitate a broader metro development/population attraction to centeral MN. Having the urban core more consolidated is one way you might be able to help faciliate that, particularly if it leads to early development of very bussiness-friendly policies like large industry zoning.
The metro population of the Twin Cities is 3.6 million. For a region in such a cold climate, that's a very respectable size. I guess my opinion is that the area (that counts) is over a million severalfold, it's just that the city limits make it look otherwise.

kernals12

Banned
One thing I've fantasized about is if Harry Truman and the Democrats had been ruthless enough to build a city in the far northwestern corner of South Dakota to house all of the Jewish refugees who went to Israel IOTL. The resulting sprawl of these heavily left wing voters would flip 4 states (South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana) to the Democrats.

One thing I've fantasized about is if Harry Truman and the Democrats had been ruthless enough to build a city in the far northwestern corner of South Dakota to house all of the Jewish refugees who went to Israel IOTL. The resulting sprawl of these heavily left wing voters would flip 4 states (South Dakota, North Dakota, Wyoming, and Montana) to the Democrats.
Idk if they’d vote democrat if the democrats forced them to live in the absolute middle of nowhere

Scranton Pa. Ford apparently looked into going their but the town leaders won't interested having been making their money in the coal and iron making business.

Um, how?

They would have been given refuge in an area without persecution. They would not know OTL Israel was an option.

Except Zionism has been a thing since the late 19th century and interest in it accelerated dramatically in the interwar period after the Balfour Declaration.

Driftless

Donor
The metro population of the Twin Cities is 3.6 million. For a region in such a cold climate, that's a very respectable size. I guess my opinion is that the area (that counts) is over a million severalfold, it's just that the city limits make it look otherwise.

A part of the ongoing success has been that both ciites, Minneapolis especially, have continually reinvented themselves. Once, they were mill towns and river shipping points(among other activities) and the current incarnations lean heavily on high technology medical manufacture and finance.

That reinvention idea is probably a bigger marker of growth or decline for many cities.