Alternate languges

Technically not an alternate language but what if the Arabs never conquer North Africa, allowing the African Latin to develop into its own Romance language.

JTTough

Banned
If the Norse have heavier settlement in parts of Northern England, assuming that if Danelaw was survived and kept intact for many centuries, then a Nordic version of English/Danelawish would have significant heavy nordic loanwords and phrases.

What about an idea of surviving Tocharian language, would Tocharian language have significant influences if they weren’t assimilated into Uyghurs?

Crazy. I wonder what that would've been like?

Would English have the 'present inflection' like the Scandinavian languages have (-er in jeg elsker deg)? Maybe someone would say "I loves thee" and "We haves two kindes Breader and three Egger to cooke." Somewhat more inflected, but still very simple inflection.

Dunno if this has been suggested; mapuñol (oficially mapudungun) a mapuche language heavily influenced by spanish conquistadors

Crazy. I wonder what that would've been like?

Would English have the 'present inflection' like the Scandinavian languages have (-er in jeg elsker deg)? Maybe someone would say "I loves thee" and "We haves two kindes Breader and three Egger to cooke." Somewhat more inflected, but still very simple inflection.
English had a present inflection but because it was generally a schwa ending it was easily lost.

Like the alternate ethnic group thread. This thread purpose is to make alternate new languages, Both creoles and natural splits offs are welcomed and you do not have to make a conlang just give them a backstory.
California Russian. Russian Pelttraders ancestors speak an unique dialect.

In a larger Germany, that includes the Netherlands and Switzerland, a standardized version of German could be adopted that incorporates both Dutch and Swiss influence. It would be like a German version of Esperanto. It starts out being written, and hardly being spoken by the regular people, but over time as new generations of Germans are raised on it, this new language becomes more and more common. After a century, this Standard German becomes the language of Germany and people speak it regularly across the nation as well as in foreign countries. Jokes and sayings also start to emerge from it, as the things you would find in more natural languages start to take root in this artificial language. In the Century since it's adoption, this variety of German has gone on to be used in poems, songs, literature, and most importantly in radio and TV, leading it's more thorough spread. It's even adopted in South Africa and New Holland, which are started out as Dutch Colonies, before becoming German colonies as a whole, as their institutions formally adopt it as the official languages of both. All this from a language that didn't even exist prior to the 1830s.

Aviation Spanish. In a world in which the premiere powers were Hispanic, much of the standards in flight are first developed in the Hispanic nations, and thus the rest of the world adopts those standards. And since Spanish is already in so much of the world, even in Asia, it is quite a simple decision to use Spanish as the standard language for flight. Of course this leads to issues of Hispanic pilots being to casual in their speech, compared to their counterparts who don't use Spanish as a native language, in the end it becomes to rooted to just suddenly change in the meanwhile.

Tomi I had some question about your languages. What do the African romance languages and the Turkish spoken in Ukraine sound like in your timeline?

Butterlying away the English influence in Japanese and replacing it with some other language, like say Spanish, would make it pretty different.

Butterlying away the English influence in Japanese and replacing it with some other language, like say Spanish, would make it pretty different.
Different set of recent loanwords, and perhaps the fine points of Romaji, would be the biggest hits here if it started at the same point; but structural influence of English on Japanese is pretty shallow.

Now if Spanish was in continual contact since OTL's Sankoku got started (i.e. said Isolationist streak never got off the ground, and the plans to drag the place into Madrid's sphere of influence actually came off), that would be a different story

1. Iberian Arabic: family of dialect used by Muslims in Iberia (POD: no expulsions)
  2. Congolese Dutch: more Flemish influence in the Belgian Congo led to a more widespread linguistic presence

Portuguese and Dutch might be even more relevant and feasible.

1. Iberian Arabic: family of dialect used by Muslims in Iberia (POD: no expulsions)
  2. Congolese Dutch: more Flemish influence in the Belgian Congo led to a more widespread linguistic presence

Portuguese and Dutch might be even more relevant and feasible.
I was just repeating something I saw in a very old timeline here in which Spanish heavily influences Japanese culture by way of Catholicism.

Admittedly something I was thinking of, given my want to play a game in Imperator, is what would result from a big Celtic Empire in North-Western Europe and what would happen after it collapsed due to trial migration. You would get some Gallic-Frankish mix (essentially French but with Celtic instead of Latin elements). Such a thing would be a big reason I could never convert to CK2 not even counting he 700 - 800 year time-skip.

Admittedly something I was thinking of, given my want to play a game in Imperator, is what would result from a big Celtic Empire in North-Western Europe and what would happen after it collapsed due to trial migration. You would get some Gallic-Frankish mix (essentially French but with Celtic instead of Latin elements). Such a thing would be a big reason I could never convert to CK2 not even counting he 700 - 800 year time-skip.
I didn't think you could convert an Imperator game to CK2.

Anyway, an Outremer language in a "Kingdom of Jerusalem survives" TL (French on top of Arabic) would be neat. English was changed so much by the Normans, I wonder how Levantine Arabic would change.

I didn't think you could convert an Imperator game to CK2.

Anyway, an Outremer language in a "Kingdom of Jerusalem survives" TL (French on top of Arabic) would be neat. English was changed so much by the Normans, I wonder how Levantine Arabic would change.

How would Greek be changed by a Latin Empire?

Dotawan Coptic

In an ATL in which a strong Nubian Christian kingdom survives to the present day in OTL northern Sudan; called Dotawo but formerly Macouria. In the 13th century many Christians fled south from Egypt to escape a period of persecution by the Mamluks and found refuge in Macouria. This was probably the last generation in Egypt where Coptic was in general everyday use among Christians. Over time they became integrated into Nubian society and mostly lost their separate ethnicity.

Today there are just five villages speaking Coptic along the Atbara River close to the Ethiopean border. The language is rather different from that used in the liturgy by the Coptic Church, since it derives from a mixture of original dialects, and is heavily influenced by Egyptian Arabic and by Nubian, especially as regards vocabulary. It has been intensively studied by linguists in the late 20th century as being the last vestige of the speech of Ancient Egypt.

How about alternate branches of Romance? Greek Romance, Anatolian Romance, Levantine Romance, Demotic-Latin Creole?

We were discussing Brazilian Angola in another thread... how about an alternate Angolan Portuguese with far more brazilian influence in place of the portuguese, bringing in american native influence as well? Brazilian Portuguese is already chock-full of african influence, add even more.