Alternate Flag Challenge: Redesign communist flags to look like non-communist

Chinese flag was tricky. Marshal Zhu De might have created something like this, a Five-colored flag, on a red sheet.
65DAE397-C08C-44AA-B7A5-3DDD2994A36E.jpeg

I’d say stick with it, minus the hammer and sickles.

Last edited:
You don’t need to re-create a Non-Communist North Korean flag, as Kim Il Sung (and other communist Koreans in Russia and China) used the same flag up until 1948.
Foundation_ceremony_of_the_Korean_People%27s_Army.jpg
I am aware that prior to 1948 both Koreas used the same flag but even if the Communist regime in the north falls the two countries might not unify because of economic and cultural reasons. At least it would take long time to unify the two so a separate non-communist flag of North-Korea might still be necessary.

Last edited:
How about reviving the Xinhai Revolution flag (and possibly tweak a bit of its design) as most possible (ATL) Chinese flag:
984px-Chinese-army_Wuhan_flag_%281911-1928%29_18_dots.svg.png

Last edited:
Blue and red seems to have more than one symbolism?

In the Five Race under on Republic flag, red was for Han, and Blue Mongols.

But under the Blue Sky White Sun flag, white was the moral values, red flood of those who died for the freedom...

When creating this flag I combined elements of the flag of the PRC, the Nationalist Chinese flag and the flag of Republic of China (1912-1928).

A s a matter of fact, there were proposals for Scandinavian style flags for the FRG in 1948/1949

640px-Flag_De_ewirmer.svg.png

640px-Proposed_German_National_Flag_1948.svg.png

The GDR didn't even have the "hammer and compass in a garland of corn" coat of arms as an integral part of its' national flag until 1959, just the simple black-red-gold banner of the Weimar Republic, just like the FRG. Had the FRG chosen one of the above flag designs, it might have stayed that way as there would have been no need to add the coat of arms for differentiation purposes.

Good this never came to pass. Looks awful. And today some people use those flags, they don't like the Federal Republic.