Alternate Flag Challenge: Redesign communist flags to look like non-communist

The challenge is to take a flag of random communist dictatorship from history and redesign it to look like non-communist. Redesigns of communist coat of arms are also welcomed.
Here is my attempt to make alternative flag of Mozambique :
Alternative Flag and Coat of arms of Mozambique.png

Last edited:
I'd probably still think your Mozambican flag and herald look pretty communist, because of the hoe and the spear being joined together. Pretty hard to look at that without being reminded of the Hammer And Sickle.

The flag of the DDR would probably make an easy segue into non-Communist aesthetics. In fact, prior to researching it for this thread, I'm not sure if I knew there was a hammer in it, and might have thought that the whole thing was just an unusual sort of compass. So, maybe keep the compass(which probably symbolizes state planning or something, but is obscure enough to hide the partisan implications), replace the hammer with some historical symbol of Germany(I know, hard to do without godwinning the flag), and make the wheat sheaths into plain gold bands.

The flag of the DDR would probably make an easy segue into non-Communist aesthetics. In fact, prior to researching it for this thread, I'm not sure if I knew there was a hammer in it, and might have thought that the whole thing was just an unusual sort of compass. So, maybe keep the compass(which probably symbolizes state planning or something, but is obscure enough to hide the partisan implications), replace the hammer with some historical symbol of Germany(I know, hard to do without godwinning the flag), and make the wheat sheaths into plain gold bands.
So Freemason controlled Germany?

For Romania and Bulgaria, just remove the seals from the flag.

For the DDR, that might require either the BDR to have a different flag, or just change the seal on the DDR flag to look less obviously communist.

Take the flag of Hungarian People's Republic (1949).
Cut a hole in the middle of it.
Dictatorship removed.
Still communist.

Sorry it [edit the 1956 flag] isn't alternate history [edit because it is actual history].

yours,
Sam R.

Last edited:
Take the flag of Hungarian People's Republic (1949).
Cut a hole in the middle of it.
Dictatorship removed.
Still communist.

Sorry it isn't alternate history.

yours,
Sam R.
I disagree. Redesigned flags of communist countries can very well be used in many alternate history scenarios. Just some creativity is required.

@Maximinus Thrax II
Off-topic, but I note that you're quite new on the site (welcome, by the way), so here's a few threads you might find of interest, if you enjoy flag-making:
• The main Flag Thread, now on page 5 of its 5th iteration: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/flag-thread-v.495057/page-5
Feel free to post your flags there, with or without backstories.​
• The Flag Challenge thread, now busy with Challenge № 232: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-challenge-discussion-entries.136905/page-224
Please join in - the more the merrier - if you win, you can choose the next challenge (and you can suggest challenges any time)​
• The Flag Request thread (also for maps and heraldy requests): https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...coats-of-arms-heraldry-here-ii.480328/page-91
You might see a request from someone which you think is something you would enjoy doing.​

@Maximinus Thrax II
Off-topic, but I note that you're quite new on the site (welcome, by the way), so here's a few threads you might find of interest, if you enjoy flag-making:
• The main Flag Thread, now on page 5 of its 5th iteration: https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/flag-thread-v.495057/page-5
Feel free to post your flags there, with or without backstories.​
• The Flag Challenge thread, now busy with Challenge № 232: https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...-challenge-discussion-entries.136905/page-224
Please join in - the more the merrier - if you win, you can choose the next challenge (and you can suggest challenges any time)​
• The Flag Request thread (also for maps and heraldy requests): https://www.alternatehistory.com/fo...coats-of-arms-heraldry-here-ii.480328/page-91
You might see a request from someone which you think is something you would enjoy doing.​
Thank You for the recommendations!

I disagree. Redesigned flags of communist countries can very well be used in many alternate history scenarios. Just some creativity is required.
I apologise for my flippant terseness. This thread is of course alternate history and a good one.

The non dictatorial _c_ommunist flag of 1956 is *actual* history.

For the DDR, that might require either the BDR to have a different flag, or just change the seal on the DDR flag to look less obviously communist.
A s a matter of fact, there were proposals for Scandinavian style flags for the FRG in 1948/1949

640px-Flag_De_ewirmer.svg.png

640px-Proposed_German_National_Flag_1948.svg.png

The GDR didn't even have the "hammer and compass in a garland of corn" coat of arms as an integral part of its' national flag until 1959, just the simple black-red-gold banner of the Weimar Republic, just like the FRG. Had the FRG chosen one of the above flag designs, it might have stayed that way as there would have been no need to add the coat of arms for differentiation purposes.

Last edited:
A s a matter of fact, there were proposals for Scandinavian style flags for the FRG in 1948/1949

Flag_De_ewirmer.svg

Proposed_German_National_Flag_1948.svg

Had the FRG chosen one of the above flag designs, it might have stayed that way as there would have been no need to add the coat of arms for differentiation purposes.
Good point.

In reality, just keep the old flags and emblems, you probably need to take out the religious and royal symbols.

Romanian flag: Remain the same 🇷🇴. For emblem, change baton and sword to broken chains.
Polish flag: Remain the same 🇵🇱. For emblem, change the eagle‘s crown to a mural crown.
German (East) flag: The same as Weimar Republic 🇩🇪. Eagle crest with broken chains.
Czechoslovak Flag: remain the same🇨🇿. The crowned lion and double cross survived iotl till the 1960, so let it stay.
Yugoslav flag: remain the same as pre-war. But Serbian and Croatian symbols must seem similarly prominent on the crest. Probably the Serb white eagle and the Croat marten would serve as supporters on two sides.
Bulgarian flag: remain the same🇧🇬. No crown on the crest.
Hungarian Flag: remain the same🇭🇺. CoA similar to the one in 1948.

Mongolian Flag: remain the same 🇲🇳. No OTL stars.
Vietnamese Flag: same as Vietnam Empire. Dragon on crest holding farming tools.