Alternate Draka!

I'm looking for advise and assistance.

Basically I'm starting from the conversation between von Shrakenberg's father and the journalist from the US in Marching Through Georgia.

I am accepting as a given the claim that, in the event Germany and Japan managed to survive and digest their new empires, the Domination would be forced into an arrangement, probably aiming all three at the US.

As a result, I am taking a POD in late 1943 or early 1944 where the US and allies accept this at face value and sign a separate peace with Germany, later offering aid to Europe, especially after the Pan-European Conference starts to phase out the Nazis. The purpose: to destroy Japan while allowing a weaker Europe to survive or bloody the Domination before it goes down.

Any ideas how this might work out?

I tried writing something like that last night, but it evolved into a typical Draka-whack piece. You can pilfer some ideas if you want. I like the South Asian jihad myself.

1917: August – On the Western Front, a young, well-off young American officer, henceforth referred to as Spiny Observant, sneezes, ducking down during battle, and avoiding the sniper bullet that claimed him in the Draka TL. After the war, he goes into politics, and does well for himself among the Democrats.

1932: Mr. Observant is assigned by FDR as Ambassador to the Domination. When he returns to the US in 1935, he is a convicted anti-Draka man.

1938: VP Garner dies of a stroke. FDR appoints Mr. Observant in his place.

1939:
Eurasian War starts as in DTL, however, under advice from VP Observant, FDR doesn’t ally himself with the Domination, and offers only minimal support to the Domination. Relations between the Draka and America grow icier.

1940: Same as DTL, but tensions with Japan result in greater militarization of US. FDR, feeling his age, refrains from running again, and Observant is the new President.

1941: Hitler refuses Domination permission to invade Italy. Thanks to butterflies, US Pacific fleet escapes destruction at Pearl Harbor. Hitler, nervous about Domination intentions, doesn’t declare war on America. Attacks on West Coast repelled, and Japanese landing force at Panama destroyed.

1942: January-March: Battles across the Pacific, with USN narrowly gaining upper hand.

April: Domination invades Nazi-occupied Caucasus. After minor gains, the Caucasus front becomes a war of attrition between Drakan expeditionary forces, Nazi occupation troops, and what remains of the Red Army. Eric and Johanna von Shrakenberg KIA somewhere near Qornisi, Georgia.

Domination also makes landings at Sevastopol (Crimea) and Reggio di Calabria (Italy). Advances made up through Italy and Don basin. Domination atrocities widely reported in US, further hardening US opinion. Failure of Caucasus front forces Domination to cancel attack from Kazakhstan.

September: Domination forces begin attack into Romania from Bulgaria.

November: Southern Ukraine in Drakan hands. Brutal fighting in Romania, though Ploesti remains operational. Drakan forces hold all Italy south of Naples.

December: Hitler assassinated by Canaris’ agents. Start of “Berlin Fireworks Week”, as Nazi hierarchy fights for supremacy. Canaris consolidates control of Reich under a military junta, Nazi elements marginalized. Draka secretly threatens alliance with Japan if Allies make peace with Germany.

1943: February: At Conference of Halifax, Observant invites British, Russian, and German representatives for a discussion of world situation. Observant proposes declaration of war against Draka in exchange for relinquishment of German-occupied territories and cancellation of alliance with Japan. The Germans, projecting about a year before their final defeat, agree. Timoshenko junta agrees out of fear of future Drakan plans.

Observant announces formation of “Halifax Pact” consisting of USA, Canada, Britain, Germany, and Russian Remnant. Observant declares war on the Draka in famous “Burn in Hell” speech. Domination allies with Japan.

May: British and Italian fleets destroy weakened Drakan Mediterranean fleet in “Battle of Malta”. Suez Canal rendered useless by Alliance naval attack. American Pacific fleet grinds Japanese out of central Pacific islands. Allies begin covertly shipping Alliance propaganda and weapons to anti-Drakan groups in South Asia. Alliance industrial production triple that of Domination.
July: Ploesti falls, but Alliance oil keeps Germany fighting. American submarine and German U-Boat attacks starve Drakan garrison on Ceylon. The island falls to a British Indian assault in December. Despite Drakan aid (mostly cut off by Alliance navy) Japanese economy in state of collapse. First air raids against Archona, Virconium, Capetown, Lagos City, Mogadishu, and Alexandria. Karl von Shrakenberg killed in raid that destroys Castle Tarleton in Archona.

Drakan-held Europe at maximum extent. Domination holds Ukraine, Russia south of Stalingrad, Romania, Yugoslavia, Italy to five miles from Rome.

As per the Halifax agreement, Germany begins withdrawal from Russia. Timoshenko reoccupies Moscow in September.

November: Start of Shiraz Uprising. Revolutionary jihad spreads among Muslim serfs in Drakan eastern provinces. Governors of Persian, Afghan, and Uzbek provinces killed by angry mobs. SD troops diverted from front and Home provinces to contain uprisings, to no avail.

1944: February: US test-detonates atomic bomb in Arizona. Despite Drakan efforts, their atomic project is still two years from bearing fruit.

March: US destroys Capetown, Alexandria, and Belgrade with atomic weapons. Balkan front collapses. Draka retreat to Ukraine proper, harassed by German forces. Russia makes limited attacks into weakened Kazakh province, captures Karaganda in June.

May: Phillipines liberated, Taipei and Kagoshima destroyed with nuclear weapons. Japan surrenders, and Archona declares war on Japan. It is an empty threat, as Drakan control of western China has collapsed from lack of SD manpower and native revolts.

June: American occupation of Japan begins. Siberia territory returned to Russia.

September: Russians, regaining strength, take Uzbek province, reestablish Russian control of Southern Russia down to Rostov-on-Don. Draka cling to scrap of southern Ukraine from Dnipropetrovsk to the Crimea. Mutinies of Janissaries further destroy Balkan front. SD troops keep control of Anatolia province, resorting to nerve gas to quell uprisings.

November: Observant wins another term as president, thanks to his success against the Draka.

1945: March: Horace Jahn, governor of Northwest province, secedes from Domination. SD troops diverted from Home provinces to reconquer Northwest province. Serf riots and jihads spread across northern Africa. By June, the Domination is effectively split into two, with Mesopotamia controlled from Ankara, and the Home provinces controlled from Arcona bunker. Nuclear attacks destroy Diskarapur, Shahnapur, Venta Belgarum, Khartoum, Dakar.

April: Ukrainian front collapses under Russian assault. Alliance landings in Basra supported by local rebels.

July: Baghdad liberated by Alliance. Collapse of Drakan forces in Mesopotamia through starvation, Janissary revolts.

August: Archon offers unconditional surrender. Archon quickly assassinated, starting a spate of palace revolutions. All order in Home territories collapses into anarchy.

November: Arch-Strategos Hans Verwoerd surrenders the Army of Mesopotamia to Generals Eisenhower and Rommel at Kirkuk. Generally considered to be the end of the Eurasian War.

1946: February: Richard Ingolfsson, acting Archon (the seventh to hold the position since August) requests Alliance to “restore order”. Allied troops occupy Home provinces.

August: Conference of Capetown shapes postwar world.

- Germany restored to 1935 borders, leading Nazis tried and executed, German conquests recreated as independent states. Current leadership remains as dictatorship.

- Russia gains Central Asian provinces and “majority influence” in former Eastern Europe SSRs. Current leadership remains as dictatorship.

- Rafts of new states created in south Asia, Middle East, and North Africa.

- Drakan Republic created out of sub-Saharan provinces. Slavery abolished, heavy reparations assessed, most of remaining military/industrial plant disassembled and taken to repair Europe

-Japan gets similar terms to OTL.

Superdude

Banned
Judging from Draka culture, they wouldn't surrender like that.

I think that the one timeline I read about the Draka (Im sure most of you have read it too) is more plausible, with the Draka just collapsing and acting like Japan, using a hopeless defense to maybe stop the invading powers. The fail, because there is massive serf revolts, nuclear weapons used, etc.

Hmm ... why would Alliance powers hit Belgrade with a nuclear weapon? Wouldn't that be like America hitting a Chinese-occupied Los Angeles, i.e. a domestic city (of sorts) under foreign occupation?

RealityBYTES

RealityBYTES said:
Hmm ... why would Alliance powers hit Belgrade with a nuclear weapon? Wouldn't that be like America hitting a Chinese-occupied Los Angeles, i.e. a domestic city (of sorts) under foreign occupation?

RealityBYTES
Considering that this is the Draka here, I thought that the Allies wouldn't mind toasting an occupied city if it would get the Draka out. Weren't there some air raids over French cities in WW2?

Superdude, I was operating under the (probably mistaken) assumption that the Draka have a rational bone or two in their heads, and would prefer living to sacrificing themselves needlessly.

Also, keep in mind I wrote the whole thing in one go in about two hours. A lot of the time I went with what sounded cool.

Superdude

Banned
I don't know if that was sarcasm or not, but I will treat it as such.

Ok, did you read the Stone Dogs? How the Draka designed a weapon that would end life on Earth if it turns out they were going to lose? How the Draka commit suicide if they are about to be captured?

Thats the basis I am operating on.