Alexander's Empire

I'm bored of all these Romanwanks out there, and, not seeing what I wanted, decided to do a Macedonwank.
I have made a few assumptions here, but I don't think that there are any glaring errors or major clichés.
Anyway, here we go.

In the year 13, Alexander returned to his new capital in Babylon and, after entertaining his admiral Nearchus and drinking with Medius of Larissa, retired to his bed with a fever, which continued to grow worse. Ten days into the fever, Alexander lost the ability to speak, and a day later rumours began to spread that Alexander was dead. His generals gave in to the soldiers’ demands, and allowed them to see the ill emperor, reassuring them that he lived.
Rumours, however, have a habit of growing faster than the truth, and it was midsummer when the city of Athens, believing that Alexander was dead, revolted against him with the aid of several other cities, including Corinth. Alexander, however, had recovered several days previously, and when news arrived that he was marching back home with all the troops he could muster, a second, loyalist rebellion broke out in Greece. Thus, when Alexander arrived in Greece, he found it in a state of almost complete anarchy, with the loyalist rebels losing badly. Alexander came upon Athens with a force of 33,000 men and razed to the ground, and ploughed and salted the land. After this, Corinth tried to surrender, but Alexander had decided that the Greeks had rebelled too many times. Corinth received the same treatment as Athens, and the citizens of both cities were sold into slavery. It was at this time that Alexander's heir, Alexander IV, was born.
Satisfied that Greece was finally subjugated, Alexander returned to Pella for several months, planning new campaigns. Returning to Babylon, Alexander announced a campaign to the north of Asia Minor, subjugating the small states which lay there. He started by invading Bithynia with 30,000 veterans, subjugating it within months. He then left a small garrison in Heraclea, and pushed on to Sinope, where he accepted the surrender of the King of Pontus. He rested his troops here over the winter, before pushing on in the spring. He invaded Egrisi in late spring, and, by mid autumn, had taken his army to the Caucasus mountain range, which he declared as his new northern frontier, before returning to Babylon, where he spent the next year sorting out the myriad of problems beginning to assault his new Empire, sending envoys to the Indian states, promising peace and friendship.
During this time, he was also making final arrangements for the conquest of Arabia. This would be his greatest campaign since his illness, and he relished the challenge, leaving Babylon in early spring, and, with the support of the fleet he commissioned two years previously, began to advance down the Arabian coast of the Persian Gulf. He met little resistance until he reached Magan, where he was received cordially, and informed that they could pass through the realm peacefully. Alexander left behind garrisons in important cities in order to be sure of their loyalty, and replaced these men by recruiting local men into his army.
Sheba also acquiesced peacefully to Alexander, but he was held up by Ma'in, to the north. Ma'in was, however, unable to stand up to his 40,000 strong army, and as Alexander's army appeared on the horizon, many of the cities sued for peace, which pleased Alexander. This, however, was not the case with Karna and Yathill, which both resisted. Yathill was razed and its population enslaved, but Karna, being the capital, was spared, and Alexander left a garrison in the city. This left Alexander with only the Red Sea coast to traverse, and, even with the support of his fleet, the army was beginning to go hungry. By this point, luckily, he was nearing the north of the peninsula, and his fleet was able to raid the Nabataeans for supplies. This, however, left them hostile to Alexander and his army, and though they managed little or no meaningful resistance, they were discontented for many years afterwards.
This campaign was considered to have brought all of Arabia under Macedonian rule, though the centre of the peninsula remained sparsely settled and was not really brought to heel for generations.
Upon his return, Alexander ordered the construction of a canal between the Red Sea and the Nile, along the route of that built by Darius under Persian rule. This was a project which took many years, and was halted twice, first by a revolt in Persia, which Alexander put down with great cruelty, and second, by an invasion of Aksum which took several years to complete. The canal was finally completed in the year 36, taking almost 20 years.
By this time, Alexander was terminally ill, and, with great reluctance, decided that his planned campaign against Carthago would have to be left to his son. In the year 37, just months before his death, Alexander officially named Alexander IV as his heir to the Macedonian Empire, and called all of his governors, satraps, generals and officials to swear loyalty to them. Several from Bactria and India refused, so Alexander IV set off with a force of 30,000 to subjugate them, his first military campaign. He was successful, but on his way home, rich with plunder, news reached him of his father's death and an invasion by Carthago, taking advantage of the lack of troops to conquer much of Egypt.
King Alexander of Macedon, fourth of that name, was now faced with the only other major power in the Mediterranean. He began forcing his men west, but Carthago, faced with little resistance, was growing dangerously close to the Nile...

Macedonia.PNG

Next update

Alexander hardly stopped as he marched westward, mustering all the forces he could along the way. Luckily, all of his governors had kept their oaths of loyalty, and by the time he reached Sinai, he had a force of 53,000 men, of whom 32,000 were veterans of his father's campaigns.
The Carthaginian army, under Hamilcar, numbered only 43,000, of whom only 10,000 had fought in previous campaigns. However, they had already taken Paraetonion, Alexandria and Memphis, as well as a host of smaller settlements, and were fortified east of the Nile, expecting to easily throw back Alexander and his army, and then destroy them in detail. Alexander however had other ideas.
Sending 15,000 men to board his fleet in port on the Red Sea, he continued to advance toward the Carthaginian positions. The fleet, along with its 15,000 soldiers, sailed up the canal to the Nile, and began heading north. Alexander meanwhile, had managed to slaughter all of the Carthaginian scouts west of their defences, effectively blinding them, so that when his fleet disembarked at Memphis, the Carthaginians believed that Alexander had got his whole army behind them. Most of the Carthaginian army immediately marched west, for Memphis, leaving a bare 8,000 left in the east. The 35,000 troops reached Memphis just as the city gates were shut.
Unfortunately for the Carthaginians, they had left most of their siege weapons behind in Memphis, to be retrieved when Alexander's main army had been dealt with, meaning that they were unable to assault the fortified city, and so settled into a siege. They had been there for almost a week when a lone scout arrived, informing the Strategos that Alexander's army was advancing from the east, and had destroyed their guard there. Hamilcar, thinking quickly, moved his army south, so that he would not be caught between two Macedonian armies. Unfortunately, he had forgotten about the fleet in the Nile, which pinned him down, five miles south of Memphis, while Alexander’s force, now reunited, advanced towards him.
Alexander split his force in three, himself leading the northern group of 18,000 men and with Ptolemaeus and Perdiccas leading the eastern and southern flanks respectively. They surrounded the Carthaginian army, and over the next four days, proceeded to destroy it.
Alexander then led his army northward, and liberated the cities that still had Carthaginian garrisons, though most had already been expelled. Alexander pursued his broken enemy west, until he reached Cyrene, where he halted and rested his army. Meanwhile, his fleet, under Admiral Nearchus sailed out into the Mediterranean and engaged the Carthaginian fleet near Oea. The Macedonians were hopelessly outmatched and were completely destroyed, but managed to inflict such damage on the Carthaginians that they went home and didn't leave for months.
Alexander, after resting his army, set out once more along the Libyan coast. His army passed unscathed through many Carthaginian ambushes, all of which were destroyed by his vanguard, and eventually came upon Oea, which he laid siege to while his artillery were moved up. Eventually he began assaulting the city walls with his catapults and ballistae, but the city surrendered before he destroyed the walls.
Leaving a small garrison behind, Alexander continued onwards, towards Carthago itself. He met no major resistance until he reached the city itself.
The walls of Carthago had never been breached before, and the city had never fallen to an outside assault. Alexander knew that his siege engines would never breach the huge land walls, and the walls along the coast were protected by the Carthaginian navy, and so he settled in to a long siege. The garrison of Carthago was broken in the first sally, and was barely strong enough to hold the city. Alexander therefore split his army, keeping just 23,000 to surround the city, and 30,000 out to capture other Punic cities. Carthago held out for seven years, and when the Macedonians finally entered the city, they found the whole city either dead or dying of starvation. The navy, however, had escaped three years earlier, taking many of the Carthaginian nobles and a portion of the military to the Iberian city of Gadir, where they set up the Second Punic Republic, or Republic of Gadir. Carthago was razed, and Utica became the primary city of the region.
Alexander did not pursue his foe to Iberia, but negotiated a peace in which Gadir ceded all of Africa, western Sicily and all of Sardinia.
As Alexander returned home after subduing his new possessions, word reached him of a Gallic force overrunning Macedonia, Thrace, and Greece, under a leader called Brennus. He was unable to reach them before they crossed over into Bithynia, and met them on the field of battle several miles east of Astakos. The Gallic force numbered around 167,000, against Alexander's mere 123,000 which he had managed to scrape up by arming every able man in the region. The Gauls and Macedonians deployed on the plain in lines facing each other. Alexander had his personal command in the centre, with the heavy phalanx on the right and his militia formed up on the left, with skirmishers, both mounted and on foot, screening his advance. He kept his heavy cavalry and 33,000 veterans in reserve.
Alexander knew that Brennus had chosen a good position and that he would use his superior numbers to try and batter the Macedonians into defeat. It was to this end that he had trenches dug and filled with stakes in front of his army. He also placed boulders and bales of hay before these, in order to foul a Gallic charge.
The battle opened at dawn on midsummer’s day. Alexander's army took up a defensive position behind their many fortifications. The obstacles did not work as well as Alexander had hoped, but he had a plan in reserve. He ordered his archers to fire flaming arrows into the bales of hay, which at first terrified the enemy soldiers, causing them to retreat, while Alexander's archers slaughtered them from a distance.
The Gauls attacked again an hour later. Their advance passed the obstacles fluidly and formed back into a solid line just in front of the first trenches. The entire Gaul front rank fell here, but they kept coming. The second and third lines of trenches were not so effective, though they disrupted the advancing line enough for Alexander's purposes.
The Macedonian skirmishers were much better than their Gallic counterparts, forcing them back into their own lines. The Macedonians then began concentrating on specific points in the Gallic line, before retreating back behind Alexander's main force.
Alexander's force looked fairly standard from the front, but Alexander had put his best troops in a position to take advantage of the weakened parts of the Gallic line. In these areas, the Gauls fell back slowly, until they were a good hundred metres away from the main battle. This was where Alexander used his reserves. They pushed into the gaps, slaughtering the Gauls who stood in their way, before pushing out in all directions from the newly created bulges in the line. The Gauls reeled at this blow, but held. The battlefield had turned into a slaughter, with no room for tactics, or so it seemed.
Suddenly, Alexander's 7,000 reserve cavalry appeared out of nowhere and drove screaming into the Gaul's right flank, which broke and fled. Alexander’s left flank swung like a closing door on the centre of the Gallic force, which tried to move to protect themselves, but were pinned down by the heavy cavalry, which, passing through the fleeing Gauls as if they did not exist, had smashed into their rear with all the subtlety and brutality of a mallet. The Gallic left flank, seeing this, also broke and fled, but the centre was trapped, surrounded by Alexander's army. It took all day and much of the night to finish the slaughter, but when it was over, the Gauls had lost over 100,000 men, and Alexander had lost almost 50,000.
Alexander pursued the Gauls to the coast, where they were slaughtered to a man. He then crossed to liberate Thrace, Macedonia and Greece, where, unlike his father, he was remembered as a liberator, saving them from the rapacious Gauls.
He pursued a few survivors into Dacia, which had supported them in their invasion, and conquered it utterly, before seeking out their commander, Brennus, who had fled to Illyria, and found sanctuary there. The Illyrians, too suffered at his hands, and only the northern part of their lands was left unconquered.
Meanwhile, in Italia, the Roman republic, after several short campaigns against the locals, had extended its dominion over the whole west coast of the peninsula. Now it was facing a war against the united might of the rest of the peninsula, united under the Etruscan League. Both sides were looking toward Macedonia and Alexander for help, and he knew that his decision would shape the future of the world for generations...

Macedonia.PNG

This empire better start rebelling soon and at least showing nominal signs of political fragmentation or I am crying obsessive wank.

Wolfpaw

Banned
This empire better start rebelling soon and at least showing nominal signs of political fragmentation or I am crying obsessive wank.

I could see things getting sorta nasty when the Macedonians go into Italy. I mean, even if the Italian states are beaten conventionally the whole peninsula could turn into a sort of guerilla/bandit ridden ulcer that the Macedonians have a hard time controlling outside of the urban centers. After all, Italians never were ones to take losing gracefully ;)

Yes, there will be four different kinds of hell for Macedon in the next post.
Not sure when I'll be able to get it out, but I'll try tomorrow or Tuesday.
Exams:(*sigh*

*Claps politely*

Nicely done my friend, although the lack of Samnite badassery is quite severe :(

In all seriousness, a very cool timeline that should result in eiter a Chinese-style uber empire in Europe, or a Diadochi War 10,000 times cooler than the original.

Keep up the good work and the pretty font :D

The Guals should have been harassing the Romans and Etruscans rather than going into the Balkens. Scythia would have been better as they are a fun challenge

Also, let me try to recored all this, put it into a timeline, so i will take the time when Alexander took ill to be 323 BC

323 BC- Alexander grows ill
Revolt in Greece, Athens and Corinth sold into slavery
Announces a campain in Asia Minor

322 BC- Conquered Bithynia, Pontus, and Egrisi
Friendship with Indians

321 BC- Arabian conquest, garrisons in Magan
Sheba, Ma'in, and several cities are conquered by Alexander
Alexander raided the Nabataeans
Arabia conquered?
Sinai canal?

320 BC- Arabia conquered?
Sinai canal?

321/320 BC-301 BC/300 BC- Revolt in Persia and invasion by Aksum

300 BC- Sinai canal complete
Alexander the Great dies and is succeded by Alexander IV
Revolt in Bactria
Carthage conquers Egypt from Macedonia
Battle of Memphis

299 BC- Carthaginian army destroyed
Battle of Oea
Capture of Oea
Macedonians start the siege of Carthage

295 BC- Carthaginian migration to Iberia
2nd Punic Republic founded

292 BC- Carthage razed and land in Africa, western Sicily, and Sardinia ceded to the Macedonians

291 BC- Guals reach Bithynia
Battle of Astakos, Macedonian Pyrrhic victory
Liberation of Macedonian lands from Guals

290 BC- Dacia and southern Illyria conquered
The Roman Republic and the Etruscan League ask Alexander IV for help

If you see anything for correcting then let me know

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm not the best at pre-Roman Antiquity, I just saw a genre that I thought was missing. Also, my new calendar is confusing even me, so I think I'll redraft this in OTLs calendar.

Sinai canal?

However, the canal was not near Sinai, it was actually along the route of an old Persian canal, which I believe was between the Red Sea and the Nile.

The Guals should have been harassing the Romans and Etruscans rather than going into the Balkens.

I may have been a bit wrong with the times, but I believe that in the early 3rd century BC a group of Gauls with a leader called Brennus did invade the region.

I'll try and get the redraft, together with the next chapter out tonight, and thanks for the ideas and info. Thanks also to all you who have been watching this.

EDIT: After a bit of research, I found out that Alexander actually commissioned his fleet at the easternmost point of his campaign, on the Indus.

Last edited:
Right. Thanks to my lack of homework, here is the next update.
Oh, and thanks again to Greyfang, but I haven't yet had time to incorporate simplified timeline, yet, but I will try to do so and will keep it going, just for reference.

Part III - The Troubles of an Empire

In the spring of the year 289BC, Alexander promised his aid to the Roman Republic, causing the Etruscan League to strike in an attempt to destroy the Republic before Macedonia could come to its aid. Alexander, however, was already in Graecia Magna, and quickly struck northward against the Etruscans. His advance seemed unstoppable, and the Etruscan League was quickly reduced to several isolated cities.
In the north, however, the League was inflicting defeat after defeat upon the Roman army, and had pushed the Romans almost to the gates of Rome. Alexander quickly marched to reinforce them, and defeated the Etruscan force five miles north, leaving the shattered remnants to flee.
He then destroyed the cities of the League, before handing over most of the captured territory to the Romans.
However, during Alexander's campaign in Italia, Chandragupta Maurya of the Maurya Empire struck into the Empire's Indian and Bactrian satrapies. Alexander took his entire force of 56,000 east, along with the 3,000 Roman soldiers promised to him by his treaty with the Roman Republic, levying and conscripting new soldiers along the way, and, by the time he reached the satrapy of Sybirtus, he had an army of 60,000 veterans and an extra 50,000 levies and militia who had fled the destruction of their homes, as well as five hundred war elephants received as a gift from the Nanda Empire fifteen years earlier. With this army he met the Maurya on the field of battle just south of Alexandria-on-the-Indus, in the satrapy of Peithon.
The Maurya army numbered almost 250,000 men along the east bank of the Indus. Alexander halted on the opposite bank and made camp late in August, 288BC. He knew that he was facing an army the equal of his own for the first time, and retired to his war tent to consult with his advisors and generals. The next day, Alexander sent an envoy to the Maurya, attempting one last time to find peace terms. The negotiations took several days, in which Alexander's force was reinforced by more than 30,000 Macedonians who had settled in the area since Alexander III conquered it thirty years earlier.
He crossed the Indus under the cover of darkness and heavy rain about a week later. Alexander deployed his army after the fashion of his father and grandfather before him, with 70,000 psiloi taking their position in front of the main line of battle, with 10,000 light cavalry on the wings. His phalanx was 40,000 men strong, with 6,000 Hypaspists on the right flank, along with the 5,000 Companion Cavalry. On the left, he had his Thessalian cavalry, and on the very edges of his line were the peltasts. Behind the main line, Alexander kept 3,000 Roman soldiers, along with 10,000 other troops levied along the way. His elephants were deployed in the van of his army, in front of the psiloi. Maurya deployed his 20,000 infantry in a solid line, with the cavalry on the wings, and the elephants in front of his army.
The two armies sighted each other in midmorning, and Maurya immediately ordered his elephants to attack. They walked towards the Macedonian psiloi, who skilfully avoided actual combat with the elephants, but showered them with a storm of javelins, stones, and arrows from a distance, aiming primarily for the legs and eyes. Two thousand of the elephants went completely wild with the pain from these wounds, with many of them being blinded in the first few minutes of combat. The rest, however, continued on towards the Macedonian Phalanx, where they were turned back by the long sarissae jabbing at them, and turned, charging too quickly for the psiloi to avoid them, but continuing on into their own ranks, destroying Maurya's formation. Alexander ordered his elephants, who had skilfully avoided the enemy for the most part, to follow them, and the elephants carved bloody swathes through the Indians. Alexander did not wait, and sent his peltasts and light cavalry to harass the enemy as they tried to redress their shattered ranks, while he moved up the heavier units behind them. When he was barely half a mile away, he ordered the Companions and Thessalians to attack, and they smashed into the front rank with the force of a tsunami, driving all before them, but were eventually surrounded and found themselves fighting for their lives. They were rescued just in time by the phalanx, which had charged at full speed into the Mauryan front rank like a battering ram. However, they quickly got bogged down in the writhing, seething mass of soldiers, and, in places, dropped their long sarissae as too unwieldy and took up the sword instead. Even so, with the Mauryan formation broken, the outcome was inevitable, and much of the Maurya army broke and fled when the allied troops from behind attacked. Alexander ordered the remnants of the army destroyed, and, hearing that Chandragupta Maurya himself had been captured, had him taken to the command tent, where he spoke with him alone.
It is not known what passed between the two men in that tent, but the outcome was that Maurya acknowledged Alexander's rule of the northwest Indian plains, and promised not to attack Alexander again.
With the battle won, Alexander turned for home, only to hear that his empire was crumbling. Many, not believing that he would survive his encounter with the far larger Maurya army, had decided that now was the time to make their own bids for power. There had been rebellions in Persia, Dacia, Armenia, Arabia, Nabataea, and, worst of all, the Punic Republic had taken control of much of Africa and was advancing towards Utica with a force of 60,000 men. Alexander turned back with a weary heart to face these new challenges.
Meanwhile, discontent grew in the heart of one of Alexander's greatest generals...

Tune in to the next update for battles, rebellions, and, just possibly, a civil war!

Macedonia.PNG

Awesome, but don't forget that Alexander IV needs a heir and maybe the moral of the troops should be down with all these wars and rebellions

Sorry for my lack of updates recently, but coursework deadlines are heaping up again. However, I have managed to put this together for you all, and will try to update again tomorrow.

Part IV - An Empire Falls

Marching back, Alexander came upon the Persian rebels, and defeated them with just his vanguard, sending his light cavalry to ride down the few survivors. After this, he divided his army, sending the Romans to reinforce his garrisons in Macedonia and Thrace, from where they would be able to launch raids against the Dacian rebels until Alexander could bring enough force to bear on them to crush them outright. He also sent 15,000 men to fight the Armenian rebellion, expecting this to be enough to crush the small rebel force. He did not stop to fight the Nabataeans, but skirmished with them constantly on his way west, inflicting enough small defeats to make them unwilling to actively invade his empire behind his back.
By the time he reached Alexandria on the Nile, his troops morale had dropped to an all time low, but Alexander refused to acknowledge this, forcing them to march west to Utica. The sudden appearance of Alexander's army surprised the Punic forces, and they halted just east of Icosium. Alexander tried to send them out to attack the Punic forces, but they refused, forcing him to negotiate. Eventually, Alexander agreed to give the Punic Republic all of the land west of Icosium, and in return, a treaty guaranteeing perpetual peace with Alexander and his descendants, and an agreement that the Hellenic colonies in Southern Gaul would never try to expand into Iberia. This surrender was humiliating to Alexander, and lessened him in the eyes of his generals.
Returning to Babylon, Alexander reviewed the state of his Empire. He had lost western Africa to Gadir, Southern Arabia had broken away and formed Sheba and many other smaller states, most of which would be annexed by Sheba over the next century or so. Nabataea had also seceded, and Macedonian control over the Arabian interior, always a matter of faith, was now completely nonexistent. Armenia and Dacia were to all intents and purposes free, and there was unrest in many parts of the Empire, from Illyria to Persia to Utica. Greece, Thrace Macedonia and Bithynia, however, remained staunchly loyal to Alexander, remembering the atrocities committed by the Gauls when they invaded. And Alexander's most able general, Seleucus, son of his father's general of the same name, was discontented with what he saw as Alexander's weak will, indecision and inability to unite his people.
It was for this reason that in 286BC, when Alexander had returned to Pella, Seleucus launched a coup in Babylon. He had been assuring himself the support of the army in this, and much of it joined him. However, a large minority refused, and there were battles in the streets as friend turned against friend, neighbour against neighbour, and town against town. When the dust had settled, Seleucus came out with a tenacious hold on Babylonia, much of Persia, Judea, Aegyptus and a small part of southeast Anatolia. Many other regions of the Empire were sundered by this new power, and began to forge their own course from this point. Thus began the time of the Diadochi.
Alexander mustered all the loyal troops he could, and marched for Antioch, where Seleucus was waiting with his force. Seleucus marched out to meet him, and they met in the plains of central Anatolia.
Alexander's loyal army numbered only 34,500, while Seleucus had gathered 52,000 under his banners. Alexander had often won against greater numbers, but this time he faced an army that he himself had forged. It knew his tactics and could respond to anything he threw at them. It was his exact equal except for the fact that it outnumbered his. The battle was won easily by Seleucus. He simply rolled over Alexander's smaller army, as Alexander, blinded by rage, could think of nothing except to march straight for Seleucus, and attempt to crush him. Alexander himself survived the battle, and was welcomed home to Pella, from where he ruled the remnants of his father's shattered Empire.

Macedonia.PNG