Alexander Battenberg wife candidates?

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
As the the title says, if Alexander battenberg managed to stay in Bulgaria as the prince/knyaz, who would end up as his wife?
I know that the kaisers daughter was proposed and approved by queen Victoria but the German royal family and bismarck refused in order to not offend the Russians, so is there any possible candidate?

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
* bump* pls i'm very curious about it.
All i now is that princess Victoria of Germany , after being denied to marry Sandro had a severe depression and the latter after being forced to abdicate married an actress.

How about another one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters ? "Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine" (Article Title at Wikipedia), born in 1864, was two years older than her cousin Princess Victoria whose romance with Alexander Battenberg, as you mentioned, was torpedoed by Bismarck and others.

Elisabeth IRL did not marry until 1884 when Alexander was still Prince of Bulgaria. She was very beautiful and had many suitors. The young Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, later to become Kaiser Wilhelm II, proposed to her and was rejected. Her younger sister, Alix, would later become Tsarina Alexandra, wife of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
How about another one of Queen Victoria's granddaughters ? "Princess Elisabeth of Hesse and by Rhine" (Article Title at Wikipedia), born in 1864, was two years older than her cousin Princess Victoria whose romance with Alexander Battenberg, as you mentioned, was torpedoed by Bismarck and others.

Elisabeth IRL did not marry until 1884 when Alexander was still Prince of Bulgaria. She was very beautiful and had many suitors. The young Prince Wilhelm of Prussia, later to become Kaiser Wilhelm II, proposed to her and was rejected. Her younger sister, Alix, would later become Tsarina Alexandra, wife of Tsar Nicholas II of Russia.
interesting, in OTL she married the grandduke of Ukraine after she saw devasted after his parents died. Maybe she meets Sandro before 1884 and then gets a crush on him after the 1885 events?

As the the title says, if Alexander battenberg managed to stay in Bulgaria as the prince/knyaz, who would end up as his wife?
I know that the kaisers daughter was proposed and approved by queen Victoria but the German royal family and bismarck refused in order to not offend the Russians, so is there any possible candidate?
Sandro apparently claimed that at the same time he was courting Moretta of Prussia he was also wooing Beatrice of the UK. While I don't think Victoria would trust her youngest to move quite so far away from home (given how Victoria reacted when Beatrice wanted to marry at all),

interesting, in OTL she married the grandduke of Russia after she saw devasted after his parents died. Maybe she meets Sandro before 1884 and then gets a crush on him after the 1885 events?
As to Ella of Hesse, I hold my doubts on such a match. For instance, the proposal by Wilhelm II of Prussia was when he was 16 and Ella was 11yo.
The Crown Prince was then a 16-year-old student, completing his studies at the University of Bonn. During the weekends, he would pay a visit to his Aunt Alice in Darmstadt. It was during these visits that he started falling love with Ella, who was only 11 years old at that time. He wrote to his mother: "Cousins look very nice, Victoria full of mirth, had a very good complexion; Ella--who is my special pet--is much grown and is exceedingly beautiful, in fact she is the most beautiful girl I ever saw. She is more quiet than Victoria but still very intelligent. She and I both love each other warmly… I think that, if God grants that I may live till then I shall make her my bride once you allow it."

Wilhelm loved spending time with Ella and his affections for her only increased as the time went by. He wrote about her to his mother with tenderness and she was one of the few people who could quiet his exuberance. Wilhelm's grandmother, the Empress Augusta, was very keen about their relationship. She encouraged Wilhelm's affection for Ella and was thrilled with the prospect of them getting married. However, Wilhelm's mother, Victoria, was not enthusiastic about the match. She thought that Wilhelm and Ella were too closely related. Furthermore, she was not very fond of Ella, and had other marriage plans for his son. Lastly, Ella herself did not have the same feelings as Wilhelm. She was flattered of the attention, but this is not enough to make her agree for a marriage. And so she politely refused Wilhelm's offer of marriage.

Not to mention, a match between a Battenberg prince and a member of the house that spawned him wasn't exactly useful to Sandro. Look at what happened to Ella's sister Viktoria when she married Ludwig of Battenberg. The match wasn't considered overly prestigious, and Ludwig wound up in English service.

Sandro would do better to take Bismarck's advice and marry a rich heiress so that he had money to pay bribes to get things done.

I agree with @Kellan Sullivan . Zinaïda would be his best bet - the Russians would approve of his marrying a Russian woman, she's Orthodox which would please the Bulgarians, and she's very wealthy. Also, she would be a phenomenal Queen, IMO. Princess Zinaida was known for being intelligent, hospitable, socially skilled, and beautiful. Muriel Buchanan, daughter of the UK ambassador, wrote "Delicate in health, easily exhausted, essentially feminine, she was not one of those capable, competent woman, able to run big charitable organizations. She was always ready to give, freely and generously, to anyone who appealed to her, to do what she could to help anyone in distress, to lend her name, her house, her resources for any worthy cause, but she shrank from publicity, from all the complications of executive administration".

pls don't ban me

Monthly Donor
I agree with @Kellan Sullivan . Zinaïda would be his best bet - the Russians would approve of his marrying a Russian woman, she's Orthodox which would please the Bulgarians, and she's very wealthy. Also, she would be a phenomenal Queen, IMO. Princess Zinaida was known for being intelligent, hospitable, socially skilled, and beautiful. Muriel Buchanan, daughter of the UK ambassador, wrote "Delicate in health, easily exhausted, essentially feminine, she was not one of those capable, competent woman, able to run big charitable organizations. She was always ready to give, freely and generously, to anyone who appealed to her, to do what she could to help anyone in distress, to lend her name, her house, her resources for any worthy cause, but she shrank from publicity, from all the complications of executive administration".
wikipedia says that at thereception for her meeting eith prince Sandro she fell in love with another men. So basically we need for Count Felix Felixovich Sumarokov-Elston to not be there or maybe himself being more rude to her?

sure no problem.... altough i was planning also to write a TL with battenberg ....
My TL isn't about Battenberg directly - it's about Vasil Levski surviving his brush with the Ottoman police and becoming a minister of the first Bulgarian government under Battenberg. They hate each other :)

And now that I know my TL's history, I see Levski isn't in a position to meddle in Sandro's love-life until 1886, by which time Znaida is already married. Damn. I guess I need to go back to the drawing board.

Last edited: