AHQ: "Science" outside Europe

Tropical civilisations are always at a disadvantage and historically went extinct at far greater rates when they did occur: Mayans, Khmers, Mali, Egypt, ect. Temperate civilisations have far better survival chances because of climate and their civilisations have greater continuity and consistency.
Egypt isn't in the tropics.

India was always very poor and their GDP per capita declined starting in 1600 during the reign of Akbar.
Source? India wasn't "poor". In fact during the reign of Aurangzeb it surpassed Qing China to be the world's largest economy and produced about 25% of the worlds industrial out put(Which by the way was larger than all of Western Europe). All of this after Akbar's reign. How for the love of god does this count as a decline?

Last edited:
Truly it is the tropical breeze keeping us underdeveloped, why did we never thought of this before?

Of course, that is the reason both India and Brazil are stuck in the dreaded "Middle Income Trap". People joke about the two countries the same way, that is, that "they are the Superpowers of the future.....forever".

Now we know the real reason. It's the bloody tropical breeze, and warm ocean currents.

Only one way to solve this, rejoin India and South America to Antarctica (they were all connected as one supercontinent Gondwana once, along with Africa and Australia).

That should make the climate nice and cold, and bring much needed economic development. 😁

Of course, that is the reason both India and Brazil are stuck in the dreaded "Middle Income Trap". People joke about the two countries the same way, that is, that "they are the Superpowers of the future.....forever".

Now we know the real reason. It's the bloody tropical breeze, and warm ocean currents.

Only one way to solve this, rejoin India and South America to Antarctica (they were all connected as one supercontinent Gondwana once, along with Africa and Australia).

That should make the climate nice and cold, and bring much needed economic development. 😁
My god, you've got it! All this time, we've been trying to develop India, but we just needed to move it somewhere else!

My god, you've got it! All this time, we've been trying to develop India, but we just needed to move it somewhere else!
So thats what the brits were doing all along!
All they wanted was to move India to Britain!
How kind of them, and of course to do that they had to start with the key resources first...

So thats what the brits were doing all along!
All they wanted was to move India to Britain!
How kind of them, and of course to do that they had to start with the key resources first...
Well of course! How else would they ensure they had them all nicely developed in time for the humans? Very kind of them to house all those jewels, too.

Just put the Capital in New Zealand and I'll be all for it!

That is also what Islamic philosophers like Ibn Sinna (Avicenna) and Ibn Rushd (Averroes) and others did. Integrating Greek Philosophy and science into Islamic and other thought. So this doesn't explain why the rationalist element* sticked in Europe, but not in the Islamic world.

* That's very vague. I think i know what you mean, but at some point we need to define this.
# This word use you need to defend. Enlightened in the middle ages?
I agree that "enlightened ideas" was the wrong term and does not reflect Ukolova's careful formulations as a scholar (albeit mixed with a bit of pro forma and/or ironically intended Soviet ideological phrases). I should have said "classical ideas, now embedded in Christianity, that remained influential and gradually encouraged new thinking in the West." The period Ukolova was writing about was before Islam emerged and I do not recall any comments she made about the classical influences transmitted and creatively reframed by Islamic thinkers.

Last edited:

And, of course, this is why the Inuits are the most advanced civilization of them all.

That is also what Islamic philosophers like Ibn Sinna (Avicenna) and Ibn Rushd (Averroes) and others did. Integrating Greek Philosophy and science into Islamic and other thought. So this doesn't explain why the rationalist element* sticked in Europe, but not in the Islamic world.

* That's very vague. I think i know what you mean, but at some point we need to define this.
# This word use you need to defend. Enlightened in the middle ages?
It did. It just didn’t have the same consequences.

Kick
The opposite was true for much of history.
No, the ultimate defence against skepticism (before Descartes even) was that a benevolent God existed therefore He did not create the world as a "trick" or "mirage" and since we were made in His image, the world could be understood. In areas without a strong monotheism tradition (China), there was a far stronger undercurrent of skepticism associated with say Taoism.
That distinction in the Christian world only came after like a millennium of the Church being the most powerful institution by far in Europe.
The Platonic reading of the role of the Church dates from Augustine.
Huh?

The Mongols were destructive, but Islamic knowledge was able to survive in Damascus (then Timur came along) and eventually Cairo and Constantinople. And during the Ming and Qing China was still the most powerful civilization in Asia up until the late 19th century.
Ming was technologically less sophisticated than the Song Dynasty despite being several hundreds years later than them chronologically. The Islamic Golden Age was ended by the Mongols.

That is absolutely untrue, many areas of India were on par with Europe even until the 18th century like Mysore, Bengal and later, the Punjab.
The new national accounting method (far superior than the past hypothetical guessing based on "source obvservation) says that India's GDP per capita was 60% of England in 1600. And England's GDP per capita at that time was slightly behind Italy's and well behind the Netherlands at that time. So no.

All of the people you name still exist. And Ancient Egypt existed for longer than our current civilization has.
But there is less civisational continuity and ONE reason for their lack of consistent success (Golden Age followed by obscurity) is their climate.

GDP is not an indicator of standard of living. It is a measure of productivity, but countries can be economically very productive while also treating their inhabitants like dogshit. Qatar has the world's highest GDP per capita, at 128,647$. Meanwhile, Norway has a GDP of 62,183$ per capita. Yet Norway, very obviously, has a higher standard of living than Qatar.

Secondly, estimating GDP is hard, even today with all of our modern data. It ignores the unofficial sector, which can make up a substantial factor of economic activity and emphasizes the production of high-value commodities and services (oil, tech, diamonds) over economic activity with low profit margins, such as subsistence-level agriculture. Trying to argue any economic data before the 20th century to be reliable is nonsense.

This is what happens when you try to argue with economic data without understanding how that data works in the first place.
GDP per capita according to the new far more objective national accounting methodology is based on silver wages for grain/food, which is the main staple for 95+% of people living back then. It is a good indicator of the standard of living. Only in advanced modern times when agriculture is a tiny percentage of our GDP can you argue that it doesn't accurately measure standard of living.
Ignoring that Egypt is nowhere near the tropics, none of these civilizations went extinct. The Mayans and Khmer still exist. Their languages are still spoken and they retain their ethnic and cultural identities. Europeans introduced the nonsense theory that these cultures "fell", based on the abadonment of some (nowhere near all) of their cities, in order to justify their conquest and exploitation. Mali was a state in west Africa which did collapse, but the Mandinka people which had built this Empire endured. Sure, the Egyptians speak Arabic now and practice Islam, but their civilisation still exists.

The Nile also has a much longer history of agricultural civilization than most of western Europe, btw.
It's undeniable that the civilisations mentioned above were far less consistent, had less civilisational continuity (Golden Ages followed by long periods of obscurity), basically their relative success was not sustained over long periods of time.
Where exactly is the rational and observable nature of the universe explicitly stated anywhere in Abrahamic scripture? For that matter, what religions reject a rational and observable universe? Citation needed.
If you took any history of philosophy, the one consistent argument against skepticism in the West was always that a benevolent God must have created a rational and observable universe (rather than deceiving us) and that humans were made in God's image therefore capable of grasping it blah blah.
If you are a scriptural Christian, you believe that the Old Testament is the word of God, only revealed to the Jews who did the physical writing. You also believe that everything in there is literal fact. Allegorical readings are possible, just as with the Quran, but in both cases, they are unscriptural and heretical in nature.
Literally Aquinas and many early Church figures argued that parts of the bible were figurative. Again, the main founding principle of the Qu'ran is that it's the literal word of God.
This is modern Catholic theology reimposed over the past. Until very recently, the idea that anything is beyond the control of the Church, was heretical. All legitimate government derives from the Church. Morality and the platonic concept of truth is derived exlusively from the Church. A perfect state would be completely obedient to the Holy See in all matters. There isn't exactly a lot of disagreement between this notion and the Quranic one.
I guess you haven't read the very influential works of Aquinas and Augustine which argue the exact opposite. But regardless, the fact that "modern Christianity" was able to become influential in this way proves my point over Islam which had a far more difficult time doing the same.

And beyond what the Church claimed historically, the adherents were capable of pushing back based on Church doctrine ITSELF as well sections of the New Testament in which Jesus talks about rendering to Caesar and God different forms of tribute, the distinction between earthly and heavenly kingdoms, none of which is present in Islam.
You say this, and yet there are two-dozen hours to the day and twelve months to the year.
And this is scientific/cultural influence and not philosophical influence which was what I was discussing? Where are the influential Egyptian and Babylonian texts regarding the scientific method, logic, methods of reasoning? Were they known at the time and were they influential throughout history? Even their language was lost to us until the 19th/20th centuries therefore their literature was not influential.

Last edited:
Source? India wasn't "poor". In fact during the reign of Aurangzeb it surpassed Qing China to be the world's largest economy and produced about 25% of the worlds industrial out put(Which by the way was larger than all of Western Europe). All of this after Akbar's reign. How for the love of god does this count as a decline?
India's large GDP is a result of their massive population. Their standard of living was clearly behind that of Europe. Also, previous GDP estimates are seriously problematic as the methodology was not scientific at all. The study below shows GDP per capita decline starting after 1600.

Last edited:

No, the climate linked to development thesis I brought up dates before the advent of modern medicine, air conditioning, and other forms of technology that now make tropical climates 100% great to live in today. (Btw, malaria is a severe blight on Africa today but the problem technically could be solved with modern technology).

And remember, I brought up climate as only one of TEN factors that gave the West an advantage. Therefore, it is obviously not the single factor that separates them.

Last edited:
India's large GDP is a result of their massive population. Their standard of living was clearly behind that of Europe. Also, previous GDP estimates are seriously problematic as the methodology is not scientific at all.
I mean if we are going into blaming population for everything then I could easily argue that the reason for Europes better GDP was because of its comparatively tiny population, which is still true in the modern day. Just look at the Scandinavian countries.
No, the climate linked to development thesis I brought up dates before the advent of modern medicine, air conditioning, and other forms of technology that now make tropical climates 100% great to live in today.
None of the nations you mentioned went extinct though. The Primary ethnic group in Cambodia are literally known as the Khmer for instance.

Egypt is not temperate, full of malaria, and very very hot climate-wise.
Egypt is not that hot. At least, not before climate change. I also don’t know where you got the idea that it’s full of malaria? Currently at least, there is a very low risk of you getting malaria in Egypt.

I don’t even understand what you think temperature has to do with this. It’s just complete pseudoscience. I’m reminded of Katie Hopkins who claims that children with working class names are more likely to be “bad kids” without much justification or defense.

To add to the irony, the idea that temperature dictates civilization success isn’t unprecedented. Ancient Greeks claimed that those in warmer climates were lazier, less intelligent, and less creative than those in colder climates. Way to revive a dead ideology, one as valuable as phrenology is today. That is to say, at most, a cautionary tale.

India's large GDP is a result of their massive population.
Any evidence? Your study just discusses compares India’s GDP relative to Britain. It does not prove that India’s GDP is due to its population size. Especially since comparatively, if I remember correctly, Britain had a much larger population during the 1600s to early 1700s.

Any evidence? Your study just discusses compares India’s GDP relative to Britain. It does not prove that India’s GDP is due to its population size. Especially since comparatively, if I remember correctly, Britain had a much larger population during the 1600s to early 1700s.
In fact considering China whose population was even larger than India's at the time was overtaken by it in the mid to late 17th century so India's huge share of the world economy clearly can't be chalked up to population.