AHC/WI: High medieval colonization of the Americas

Could the americas pull a congo?
Christianizing and surviving? Should be possible but is not like Kongo got the best deal anyhow and I imagine diseases for the locals and the lack of African diseases for the Europeans would make the situation inherently less stable.

Yes but I would argue that you need to explain how the earlier tech came to be, especially with such a big gap compared to OTL. Hence successfull Vinland being the best source of butterflies.

1000 is too late, that was the whole point of my previous post. The Little Ice Age will kick off before Vinland is developed enough for Groenland to be able to thrive as just a relay station. 900 might do but the TL writer would need to put their thumb on the scales of destiny for it to work, so speak. I'd say 850 might better.
Let's get more specific with the tech, what made European ocean voyages possible? The caravel? I'm not particularly knowledgeable with this stuff.

The discovery and settlement of the Azores was before the caravels still.

@Gloss
Which colonial expedition of Spain was requiring centralized processes? Also, how centralized was Spain compared to France in the relevant time period?
Spain got rather lucky. They didn't settle much of their empire so much as they conquered and assimilated two other ones. That requires a very different kind of resources- chief among them guns and the armor needed to withstand musketballs. They basically replaced the old order with catholics and added boats, whereas the other ones had to build their societies
Well I was not looking for Spanish-style rapid conquest(which I'm not sure would be possible without native empires as large as 2 the encountered by the Spanish) nor do I think the triangle trade was necessary anyhow, the Spaniards didn't particularly focus on it for a good while and virtually abandoned it compared to others.

Also again I'm not sure why colonialism requires a centralized state, did the participation of other Europeans in the Iberian reconquista require a centralized state that made sure the nobles goign off to Iberia were loyal to them? Did the Levantine crusades, the Baltic crusades, the Ostsiedlung requires such thing? Did the Greeks require an Hellenistic empire to settle as far as Southern Spain or Southern France? Did early modern Chinese require their virtually negligent state to be centralized(whether they were or not is unimportant, given the negligent bit) to settle in the Malay archipelago and gain prominence there?
The reconquista did take 700 years to conclude one way or another largely because of the internal politicking and the infighting between nobility- such a thing is literally why portugal exists. The crusades weren't setting up an outpost to serve the motherland or even strengthen a trade network, they were going in to make sure christians ruled and tried to convert wherever. and generally those states were on their own afterward- hence why crusades 2-The Rest were needed anyway. They weren't fighting for Empire. but Christianity. And while you could probably find a way to make the Europeans more or less do what the greeks, chinese, and arguably crusades did- go in for trade routes, but as distinctly separate societies not really associated with the motherlands, which would make a decentralized 'colonialism' possible, i don't know how successful it could be; the new world was such an interconnected and complicated mess that i struggle to see success really happening any other way. The slave trade vitalized the sugar plantations that made europe wealthy enough to continue trading with africa to get those slaves

Let's get more specific with the tech, what made European ocean voyages possible? The caravel? I'm not particularly knowledgeable with this stuff.

The discovery and settlement of the Azores was before the caravels still.
The Azores were not even half-way to North America...

Maybe full-on caravels are not necessary but the kind of ships you need to make the full-on direct oceanic crossings on a regular basis was not something that was around in the Early of High Middle-Age. Hell, you need to wait until the latter part of the Late Middle-Age to see anything close to it being around in Europe, and even then only in Portugal. For the rest you have to wait for the Renaissance.

You need some big butterflies if you want to speed the timetable by the extent you wish, simple as that.

The Azores were not even half-way to North America...

Maybe full-on caravels are not necessary but the kind of ships you need to make the full-on direct oceanic crossings on a regular basis was not something that was around in the Early of High Middle-Age. Hell, you need to wait until the latter part of the Late Middle-Age to see anything close to it being around in Europe, and even then only in Portugal. For the rest you have to wait for the Renaissance.

You need some big butterflies if you want to speed the timetable by the extent you wish, simple as that.
They are not halfway to the Caribbean or South America but they are reasonably close to the distance between them and Newfoundland, which is about 50% more. In any case the thing is that it's qualitative difference to the lands that were in contact with Europe prior.

I mean I was already looking at an early POD, even up to 700 AD if not earlier, that would give plenty of time to create a situation where naval technology could spread and develop more.

They are not halfway to the Caribbean or South America but they are reasonably close to the distance between them and Newfoundland, which is about 50% more. In any case the thing is that it's qualitative difference to the lands that were in contact with Europe prior.

I mean I was already looking at an early POD, even up to 700 AD if not earlier, that would give plenty of time to create a situation where naval technology could spread and develop more.
I would point out that even the Azores were only settled in 1427 aniway, and that Portugal has a good edge on naval tech.

I would point out that even the Azores were only settled in 1427 aniway, and that Portugal has a good edge on naval tech.
Having an edge means little as there was plenty of contact, so much so that an English could fund an expedition from England to Newfoundland using an Italian 5 years after Columbus, plus it was a Flemish who accidentally discovered the islands and even if he used Portuguese ships it shows that it's not like such things are a trade secret, the portuguese developed the caravel using inspiration from Islamic designs.

Having an edge means little as there was plenty of contact, so much so that an English could fund an expedition from England to Newfoundland using an Italian 5 years after Columbus, plus it was a Flemish who accidentally discovered the islands and even if he used Portuguese ships it shows that it's not like such things are a trade secret, the portuguese developed the caravel using inspiration from Islamic designs.
It was more then an edge, at this stage portugese more or less in their own league in Europe in naval tech.

At the end of the day regular direct (as opposed to island hoping) transoceanic crossing only became a thing in the 16th century. You want to advance that time table a good three to four centuries, that needs some serious butterflies. Simple as that.

It was more then an edge, at this stage portugese more or less in their own league in Europe in naval tech.

At the end of the day regular direct (as opposed to island hoping) transoceanic crossing only became a thing in the 16th century. You want to advance that time table a good three to four centuries, that needs some serious butterflies. Simple as that.
Ok but do you have any idea on how to do that?

Ok but do you have any idea on how to do that?
As stated before: advance the timetable on Vinland enough for it to be developed enough for Groenland to be viable as a simple relay station when the Little Ice Age kick off and then have other european polities decide to invest in naval tech to have their own road to the West.

Its not a full proof concept by any means but its the only way I can see it happen.

I would love for there to be a timeline where the legends of St. Brendan and Prince Madoc were true,then again I've a fondness for Mesoamerican/Ancient Egypt/Nubia/Abynissia fusion as well or Phoenicians actually reaching the Caribbean. What's needed are ships that can handle the voyage and a vested interest. Norse longships can do that. No medieval scholar of merit believed that the world was flat and fishermen knew there was a landmass past Ireland, A possibility could be an earlier need for an alternate route to the Spice Islands,landing on North America and meeting the Mound Builders or landing further south in one of the Mesoamerican civilizations which more than likely would Mayan. Maybe discovering new goods.riches or allies. It doesn't even have to be Christian,have an expedition from Al Andalus . Anyway,it can be done. No,it doesn't have to be total conquest.but maybe an exchange of ideas,

Going Azores-Newfoundland may look close on a map, but that’s also going very much the wrong direction on the North Atlantic Gyre, which is going to make that a longer trip than a map would indicate. The Caribbean or Brazil are the easiest options for open ocean exploration.

Last edited:
in 1100-1200 Europeans will not find the sizeable empires of the Incas and the Aztecs

There won't be any large power in the Valley of Mexico (just a bunch of city-states), but on the other hand, the Yucatan will be unified into the League of Mayapan, putting the Mayans in a such stronger position than they were in 1492. The northern coast of Peru will have the Empire of Chimor and the Lake Titicaca region will have the various Aymara lordships. Also, North America will be in the height of the Mississippian Moundbuilders and the Ancient Pueblo (Anasazi), Hohokam, and Mogollon.

If the Vikings got addicted to cod by 800, ate the nearest harvest, and chased the cod schools out to sea till they reached Newfoundland by 1000 there'd be ships with heavy hulls that could take the stress of a tall ship's rigging and make large-scale travel to the Americas possible by then. In our timeline Eric the Red lost 10 out of 25 ships just going from Iceland to Greenland, so we need the upgrade to tall ships to make medieval colonization possible. Columbus lost one out of three, still bad. But Europeans were willing to kill some noticeable chunk of the male population in sea voyages in our timeline, just so they made money doing it.

Going Azores-Newfoundland may look close on a map, but that’s also going very much the wrong direction on the North Atlantic Gyre, which is going to make that a longer trip than a map would indicate. The Caribbean or Brazil are the easiest options for open ocean exploration.
How did Joao Fernandes Lavrador reach Newfoundland and Greenland in 1498? John Cabot also used a relatively inefficient route I think.

If the Vikings got addicted to cod by 800, ate the nearest harvest, and chased the cod schools out to sea till they reached Newfoundland by 1000 there'd be ships with heavy hulls that could take the stress of a tall ship's rigging and make large-scale travel to the Americas possible by then. In our timeline Eric the Red lost 10 out of 25 ships just going from Iceland to Greenland, so we need the upgrade to tall ships to make medieval colonization possible. Columbus lost one out of three, still bad. But Europeans were willing to kill some noticeable chunk of the male population in sea voyages in our timeline, just so they made money doing it.
Can the medieval cog or carrack type ships engage in seagoing travels of smaller distances?

I guess anything goes if it helps with the scenario, the bonus of a decentralized colonization would also be nice and I wonder if the papacy could be strong enough to organize such a thing, maybe papal involvement in such matters could start in an a scenario where the Franks are not hegemonical like you envsioned but where the papacy seeks naval support from Visigoths and Christianized Norse groups against Muslim raids and to remove Byzantine presence in Southern Italy or trying to remove trade dependence from the Near East or Byzantium.

I suspect if any power is strong enough to do this, it is the Papacy. The Merovingian kings and the Visigothic kings will have the demographics to sustain this, but the Papacy will have the power to unite the realms. The major question is, will the Papacy acquire power over the Visigoths for which to force a united effort between them and the Franks. My opinion is a no. This though is not necessary, the Visigoths can be used as part of a North African push and likewise the Papal sword into the Mid East. The Franks by contrast will be the vault to the north, defending from the Norse prior to conversion and also managing the affairs of the majority of Latin Christendom's population. This population may become too large under a massive Merovingian empire that lacks internal wars and lacks Crusades afar or colonization to the east. Say many of the Slavic states to the east convert peacefully and the Papacy protects them, making the Frankish borders become France, the Low Country, Austria, Bavaria, the Rhineland, and Germany the rest ending at the Elbe, say at Hamburg downward. This is a truly massive demographic power and one with enormous potential, far exceeding the demographic pull of the Spanish empire, even in the year 1000 CE, such an entity will have greatly more resources than Spain.

Considering that no eastern colonization occurs, or is far less, we might see the Franks move west. Perhaps a colonization of Iceland or intermingling of itself with the Nordic inhabitants in early years. This would maybe be prior to a Frankish conquest of Ireland.

If a discovery is to occur though, the reason to go to it and colonize it, will have to come from the Papacy, the most powerful potentiate in the region. The Papacy may order some sort of Frankish push westward, but this will be chaotic, haphazard and the Papacy may lose interest in the long run if there is setbacks in the east. However, it is likely that the Papacy will wish to redistribute excess population outside of Europe, this will include Africa and ideally for atl, America.

Regarding transit, I am not familiar with naval prerequisites to cross the seas. However, the Franks are not far from Ireland if they can attain the necessary Papal sanction to conquer Ireland and possibly Scotland and other islands. This will allow the Franks to fire forth into Iceland, and henceforth toward Greenland and then to Vinland. The franks will have the demographics and the economic force with which to sustain a population movement if they have a reason, something that the Nords increasingly did not hold.

This all will be contingent upon Papal force though. If the Papacy is unable to induce movements and create preferred models of growth for its Latin-Germanic subjects, Europe will be unable to undertake these ventures, just as Crusades were impossible without the Papacy, so too would colonization.

to be fair charles was already on the rise before tours by 718 he had most power and by 731 he had killed many who opossed him with duke odo being the only real resistance against him the islamic raid helped him beacuse it weakend odo and gave him presitigue i still think Pepin or his child becomes king while sure they would not have the prestigue and aquitinane would be stronger i think it just delays them taking it .

"The Gothic kingdom in Iberia will also be a behemoth." depends visgothic spain in 711 was a sick corrupt country in the midst of civil war it would take time for it to recover maybe a dynastical change or some frankish lord taking the throne in terms of the crusades i dont see why heavy plows and the vikings improving trade and the little optimum would be affected by no islam in iberia so the social things that predated the crusades are still there they migth just manyfest in the continent or in africa

Well, my point is that the Gothic kingdom is a demographically powerful entity, regardless of its socio-political situation. Ultimately, it does not matter, in the future, the Papacy will attempt to place its hand into Iberia in an overt sense and will build up factions therein with the power to retake the power lost by the Baltid royal clan. The Papacy can use the Franks to do this if at all possible and would be preferred. After which, the Visigoths can be permitted to expand into Africa. In otl, the Papacy utilized the Frankish element for Crusades primarily due to this being the only demographic entity with which the Papacy could tap into for expansion, aside for the Norman element. The Papacy may be unwilling to mix Frankish and Gothic claims to Africa either, as this may cause division, as we know, the Papacy in otl was unwillign to give the same privilege to multiple kingdoms, so as to diminish infighting.

-------------------------------
@KingOnTheEdge

Well, the Franks already possess the military organization and skill with which to subdue in pitched battles any of the foes they encounter. The main question si for what reason they would seek to do so. This is where the Papacy comes in, as a the cosmological basis for Latin expansion in all fronts. As we see from otl, the Papacy was able to cajole and inspire low nobles and their retainers into traversing great distances for the chance at better lands and for absolution of sins. In this world wherein a Merovingii or massive Frankish realm strides Europe as a colossus, the need for low nobles to acquire holdings fitting their status and name is more important. The Papacy and the overall Frankish monarch must find areas to divert them. The most unlikely of possible examples, is someway to dump these into the New World and provide a pension to said travelling warriors in peasants and women from across the Frankish realm. Sensationalized peasantry in the Middle Ages displayed their willingness to traverse the Sea on behalf of their king or the Papacy, especially in the Frankish realms, surely they did so and did so across lands, they may do so even in this instance.

--------------------------

One major benefit to the Medieval mindset in colonization, is that Medieval Europe possessed a cosmology more revolved around an expansionism that did not pertain to monetary benefit, instead such monetary benefits were intermingled. This cosmological basis, had to do with the expansion upon all important fronts in an enterprise to 'restore order' and secondary to this, as evident by certain Papal sentiments, was the notion of uniting the world under a series of rulers originating primarily from the Frankish seed. Post 1414 Europe, did not yet have a world conquest cosmological basis, at least not as aggressive as the Medieval one and it was likewise, any amount that it did hold, was holdovers from that which the Frankish world possessed in 1000-1300.