AHC: USA as a (male) soccer/football super power with a 1900 POD

With a 1900 POD how can the US be turned into a soccer/football powerhouse in the men's game? Being a world power with their national team aswell as having a league that competes with Europe?

In the early 1900s soccer was very popular in the US and had one of the highest paying leagues in the world with the American Soccer League before it collapsed because of the great depression, is it possible it could have been saved and maintained throughout the 20th century?

Might need to get rid of the Soccer War, the conflict between the USFA and the ASL. For context:

The ASL teams were mad at the USFA because the National Challenge Cup (nowadays known as the US Open Cup) conflicted with their schedule and financially burdened the teams due to having to travel long distances across the country then return to the East Coast to play league games. The league boycotted the cup and made moves to separate from the USFA, including removing its teams from the National Challenge Cup. Three teams who refused to exit the cup (recent champions Bethlehem Steel among them) were suspended from the league. This caused the ASL to be suspended by the USFA and to be declared an outlaw league by FIFA.

The 3 suspended teams would join a few other semi-pro teams from another organization (the Southern New York Soccer Association) to form the Eastern Professional Soccer League, founded by the USFA as a rival to the ASL. The remaining SNYSNA teams allied with the ASL. Both leagues competed concurrently during the 1928-29 season but the split caused heavy financial strain on the ASL/SNYSNA alliance as their status as an outlaw league meant they had no official support and no foreign players wanted to play there.

The ASL would eventually settle with the USFA and join the EPSL to form the Atlantic Coast League. Two weeks later, the stock market would crash and people would turn their backs to the sport after the whole debacle, which had alienated a lot of fans who saw it as an European-dominated sport and lost interest. After the dissolution of the ASL in 1933, football in the United States was relegated to small, semi-pro mediocrity for decades until the NASL made waves in the mid-to-late 70s.

Having it so that this whole conflict doesn't happen would help the sport survive the Great Depression. Perhaps the USFA could yield, realizing how going into conflict with the budding league would be bad for the growth of the sport and exempt ASL clubs from the Cup, just like how NASL clubs refused to participate in the cup when that league was at its peak.

One thing that could be difficult to assess is what the league would be like post-Great Depression. The format would've had much more time to evolve and the league to expand. Whether or not they would follow American sports traditions like the MLS does or would remain more "European" in style is hard to guess, though if it does want to compete with Europe it might need to go for the later. I still think there'd be conferences, but it'd be like now with an East/West division, perhaps with 16 teams each. Promotion/Relegation would also be needed.

Whether or not it manages to become the #1 sport is also difficult to guess, considering it's not an "American" sport like basketball, gridiron and baseball. To compete with Europe it absolutely has to be at least #2. America has tons of towns and lots of space for pitches so if the sport becomes more popular it'd have a really strong grassroots level. With so many clubs everywhere it'd be considerably cheaper to get into the sport than it is in the country now which would help the growth of it.

A better league means a better national team, and the United States could surpass Mexico and become the frequent North American representative at the World Cup. This would help increase the USA's global football standing massively, especially if they start putting in decent performances.

There's a lot more you could do with this idea, I could keep going but it's a bit late where I live so I'm going to leave it off here.

There were pretty serious moves to ban gridiron in the 1900s after a number of deaths on the field. Have them succeed and soccer has much less competition, in particular in the colleges. I don't know how feasible the "American" college-based development system is in a sport where you can go and make serious money playing at the very top level overseas, but that's got to increase its chances.

Whether or not they would follow American sports traditions like the MLS does or would remain more "European" in style is hard to guess, though if it does want to compete with Europe it might need to go for the later. I still think there'd be conferences, but it'd be like now with an East/West division, perhaps with 16 teams each. Promotion/Relegation would also be needed.
I think running a pro/rel scheme in the USA has a risk of top teams concentrating in a select few places, which means the majority of the USA, a very large country, has no reason to be interested in soccer. Plus, there are cultural differences: in Europe, there's a sports club in pretty much every little town for locals to root for, but in the US, this spot is entirely filled by colleges, which is a completely separate thing from the league systems.

I think running a pro/rel scheme in the USA has a risk of top teams concentrating in a select few places, which means the majority of the USA, a very large country, has no reason to be interested in soccer.
Which is why the league could be divided into conferences like I said, you could even have more than 2. Plus, many cities in the USA are already not represented in certain sports, only the really major ones have teams in all of them. I find it very unlikely that the USA would develop into a top world league over the 20th century without Pro/Rel.
Plus, there are cultural differences: in Europe, there's a sports club in pretty much every little town for locals to root for, but in the US, this spot is entirely filled by colleges, which is a completely separate thing from the league systems.
I bring this up in my post; to compete with Europe, the USA would need to have a system that mimics the rest of the world. If football manages to become way more popular and develop, you could see soccer fields everywhere and tons of small clubs to use them. Having so many small clubs would make it easier to get in at a grassroots level. It takes much less resources and preparations to set up a football team than any other sport so you could definitely see small towns getting their own football clubs and competing in regional league competitions, as was happening when the sport was at its peak before the Great Depression.

The biggest issue for any soccer league in the US is that it's the only sport in the country that has a governing body. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB can make whatever changes they want and there's no one who can say no. The OTL American Soccer league wanted to make some changes (a penalty box and player substitutions) and that's going to cause conflicts.

The only real solutions to that are:
1: The league is successful enough that it can tell the USSF to pound sand. This would likely result in FIFA declaring them an outlaw league, but unless they're desperate to attract foreign players, it won't matter. If the ASL can survive the depression and WWII, they're in an excellent position to offer nascent TV networks programming. Being the third most popular sport in the country is quite possible. That could last a long time until FIFA/ASL tensions come to a head; FIFA would like some amount of all the American soccer money, and the ASL will want to show off how much better they are than anyone else on the planet.

2: The USSF controls the league. This is pretty much the case with MLS. The MLS is even more centralized than the traditional American model: the league owns all the teams and players. No one involved is going to anything to upset the apple cart.

I think running a pro/rel scheme in the USA has a risk of top teams concentrating in a select few places, which means the majority of the USA, a very large country, has no reason to be interested in soccer. Plus, there are cultural differences: in Europe, there's a sports club in pretty much every little town for locals to root for, but in the US, this spot is entirely filled by colleges, which is a completely separate thing from the league systems.

While pro/reg is a tradition in Europe I don't think it is necessarily required to have a thriving league, and assuming the ASL can stay popular and financially stable through the great depression it is likely it could naturally spread throughout the entire country, and maybe down the line pro/reg can be adopted

While pro/reg is a tradition in Europe I don't think it is necessarily required to have a thriving league, and assuming the ASL can stay popular and financially stable through the great depression it is likely it could naturally spread throughout the entire country, and maybe down the line pro/reg can be adopted
Pro/rel is pretty incompatible with traditional American league system; no owner would invest invest in pro franchise if there was any possibility of it turning into a minor franchise. That's one of the reasons the MLS didn't adopt it when it was created.

Those places get a lower league team or teams to support just as much as the big cities. London have teams in all tiers of english football. Small towns have teams not in the higher division but support them just as much. Just ask wrexham before Hollywood

The biggest issue for any soccer league in the US is that it's the only sport in the country that has a governing body. The NFL, NBA, NHL, and MLB can make whatever changes they want and there's no one who can say no. The OTL American Soccer league wanted to make some changes (a penalty box and player substitutions) and that's going to cause conflicts.

The only real solutions to that are:
1: The league is successful enough that it can tell the USSF to pound sand. This would likely result in FIFA declaring them an outlaw league, but unless they're desperate to attract foreign players, it won't matter. If the ASL can survive the depression and WWII, they're in an excellent position to offer nascent TV networks programming. Being the third most popular sport in the country is quite possible. That could last a long time until FIFA/ASL tensions come to a head; FIFA would like some amount of all the American soccer money, and the ASL will want to show off how much better they are than anyone else on the planet.

2: The USSF controls the league. This is pretty much the case with MLS. The MLS is even more centralized than the traditional American model: the league owns all the teams and players. No one involved is going to anything to upset the apple cart.
There is a internationell body for the big fours as well, but it is only the nba that respect the internationell body so much that they do not interfere with the world championship or the regional championship