AHC: Save the Polish Left

Hello! This is my first time here, so I hope I'm using all the acronyms right :)

Now, I'm aware that this may be something of a fringe subject here, but I guess it's worth a try to see if anyone here is interested.

Left-wing parties have been marginal in Polish politics for the last decade. Your challenge, should you choose to accept it, is to save the left as a significant force in the political arena, without sacrificing democracy or the market economy, with a POD before January 1, 2005.

Welcome to the board, and the discussion table! :)

I think the big issue is the ineptitude of the Democratic Left Alliance (SLD), in particular the aftermath of the Rywin affair and the Starachowice affair, which saw their popular support drop by huge amounts during the Miller government. It got so bad that the SLD government's approval rating was just 11% by the 2005 elections, which also saw them lose 161 of their seats in the Sejm. Avoid these and the SLD can still remain a viable political force and the main opposition if a rightist party takes power.

(Sorry for not contributing but...)

Really? It took 22 minutes for an AH.com user from Hong Kong confidently comment about the decline of the Polish left over the previous years? Points for alternatehistory.com...

Ah, the wonders of Wikipedia. :p

Actually, I went past Wikipedia to do a bit of reading of my own before responding. Still it's probably not the best answer that I could give, but I think that's the most reasonable explanation for what happened IMHO.