AHC: Romano-Berber rump state

Wow, if this was in otl the whole history of the Mediterranean would have been different. Someone should do a timeline off this premise, I haven't seen many timelines based on north Africa on this site :(

Wow, if this was in otl the whole history of the Mediterranean would have been different. Someone should do a timeline off this premise, I haven't seen many timelines based on north Africa on this site :(

There's a few previous ones, such as the Southern Roman Empire. However, I planned on going a different route by having the butterflies not take effect until much later with Rome still collapsing, Islamic occupation of Spain, Crusades, etc.

Unfortunately, since the idea of a holdout Berber entity of some sort doesn't seem to have any traction, I suppose it'd have to go a different route. :( Norman Sicily's holdings of Tunisia may have to be the new premise.

I don't know if it is possible to keep an independent Mauretania from Calligula's reign to Justinian II's reign without significantly changing Rome.

I don't know if it is possible to keep an independent Mauretania from Calligula's reign to Justinian II's reign without significantly changing Rome.

It doesn't need to last that long. Just long enough to assimilate the nomadic Berber tribes to a greater level than OTL. Developing their cities, especially ones farther from the Mediterranean would help too.

That being said, this seems to be an idea that hasn't found a lot of options to work with.