AHC: Preserve the Bottleneck Free State?

So, a few days ago, I learned of the existence of the Bottleneck Free State, a short-lived nation created after WWI by a clerical error:
I am in a good mood and nothing can change that because I have just learned about the existence of the Bottleneck Free State.:)

After World War I the Entente established occupation zones in Germany west of the Rhine. But because someone made a mistake in mapping the American and French occupation zones had a gap in between them. The territory within this gap was cut off from Weimar Germany by the Tanaus mountain range on one side, the Rhine on the other, with its other two borders being the French and American occupation zones. There were no roads connecting the region to the rest of Germany, they had no ports on the Rhine, air travel did not exist, and trains were forbidden to stop there. As a consequence of their isolation the locals proclaimed themselves independent, with the mayor of the largest town elected president. The country itself took its name from its shape- resembling a bottleneck. The Bottleneck Free State issued its own stamps, currency, and passports from 1919 to 1923 when its existence came to an end.

So yeah, a clerical error inadvertantly created a country.

The challenge is to find a way for the Bottleneck Free State to survive to the modern day.