AHC: No Mers-el-Kebir

Your challenge, should you accept it, is to find a way by which the French Navy and Air Force join their British counterparts before France surrenders, thus preventing the French Navy being attacked at Mérs-el-Kebir. POD must be between Sept 1 1939 and June 25 1940.

Franco-British Union

Well either;

1) French take up the British offer of a Union
or
2) The French government fights on owing to a longer battle of france (lots of POD's to do that)

I agree, a Franco-British Union would prevent Mers-el-Kebir happening. There are a few AH's where Reynaud doesn't capitulate/other members of the government agree with him, and the French Government moves to Algeria and continues the fight.

There are also a lot of AH's where Mers-el-Kebir still happens, but not as in OTL. Usually by Somerville going with Holland to negotiate, or by a different presentation of the demands to make the better options (for both sides) more palatable to the French Admiral

(Warning Shameless Plug) Look no further than my Magnificent Octupus: The Mers-el-Kebir resolution. (PoD Sommerville negotiates in person with Captain Holland as interpreter). Got up 1943 on the first draft I plan to write as far as the end of the war, rewrite and then continue up to the present day.

Alternately Petain &/or Darlan find some way to reassure the Brits the French navy wont fall into German control.

However it happens the long term consequence is the Allies will either retain control of French North Africa, or regain control of those colonies much sooner. that would draw German air power to the Mediterranean sooner & on a larger scale than in OTL, which in the long run is a bad thing for the German air force & for the German stratigic situation in general.