AHC: medical “CAT scan” involves actual disease-sniffing cat.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
For example, you’re in the dermatologist’s office. The doctor gives you a visual once over. And then he or she says, “Roger will be in for the Cat Scan.”

Now, Roger could be the actual cat, or more likely the trainer and the cat’s name might be Jasper.

We humans are so intensely visually-oriented. For checking for melanoma, for example, I think a disease-sniffing animal could be highly helpful.

And somehow I like the idea of laying on your back on the examining table, and maybe he cat walks along both sides of you taking a good sniff. And maybe when you turn over and lay on your stomach, sometimes the cat even walks along your back.

Your thoughts please.

E131B2E5-AD97-4154-82E0E62CEE929FC6_source.jpg

For example, you’re in the dermatologist’s office. The doctor gives you a visual once over. And then he or she says, “Roger will be in for the Cat Scan.”

Now, Roger could be the actual cat, or more likely the trainer and the cat’s name might be Jasper.

We humans are so intensely visually-oriented. For checking for melanoma, for example, I think a disease-sniffing animal could be highly helpful.

And somehow I like the idea of laying on your back on the examining table, and maybe he cat walks along both sides of you taking a good sniff. And maybe when you turn over and lay on your stomach, sometimes the cat even walks along your back.

Your thoughts please.

You make it sound silly.

This has been an actual thing more than once already.

Your thoughts please.

A derm doc orders a CT scan ? that is ASB right there

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
A derm doc orders a CT scan ? that is ASB right there
You’re entirely right that a derm doc is not likely to order a major X-ray.

But as far as chemical detection of cancer, whether high-tech or animal helper, I think that would be highly helpful.

————-

And yes, it’s currently called CT scan. But it used to be called CAT scan, meaning Computerized Axial Tomography.

Last edited:

marathag

Banned
A real cat might be able to detect sickness, but wouldn't pass that info along, as they as selfish things, unlike dogs

chankljp

Donor
I mean this both as a fun topic, but also seriously.

For example, the issue of appropriate tech.

And then, even today I think we’re behind the curve as far as animal helpers. And we used to be even more behind the curve.
Regardless, even if you meant for this topic and its implication to be discussed seriously, since you are talking about the idea of disease-sniffing animals inexplicably becoming so effective that they outright replace medical CT scans, this still belongs in the ASB sub-forum... Either that, or the 'Future history' sub-forum if you are talking about a future in which thanks to advancements in organic technology, genetically engineered cats that are so good at disease detection that they can replace existing medical technologies.

Since neither cats not dogs can talk, this is practically pointless. You could use them to detect/locate specific ailments, like cancer, but if you want it to be effective, you have to keep a tight focus so as to reduce the chances of miscommunication.

Since neither cats not dogs can talk, this is practically pointless. You could use them to detect/locate specific ailments, like cancer, but if you want it to be effective, you have to keep a tight focus so as to reduce the chances of miscommunication.
My dogs have been able to communicate a lot to me non verbally. It requires patience and a lot of work. Working dogs a outstanding tools where the handlers can spend the appropriate time training them.

Regardless, even if you meant for this topic and its implication to be discussed seriously, since you are talking about the idea of disease-sniffing animals inexplicably becoming so effective that they outright replace medical CT scans, this still belongs in the ASB sub-forum... Either that, or the 'Future history' sub-forum if you are talking about a future in which thanks to advancements in organic technology, genetically engineered cats that are so good at disease detection that they can replace existing medical technologies.
You are imposing your view. The OP does not imply in any way the replacement, it does cover the possibility of initial alert diagnosis. A indicator you need a CT scan despite lack of conventional indicators.

dsc_4893b_stimg_rs960wx450h_cprs.jpg

This dog is part of a study attempting to develop an electronic sniffer for ovarian cancer.

But we currently have neither the animal helpers nor the high tech electronics in any kind of regular use.
Heres a random selection of literature on the subject. its become a serious subject in medical research.

chankljp

Donor
You are imposing your view. The OP does not imply in any way the replacement, it does cover the possibility of initial alert diagnosis. A indicator you need a CT scan despite lack of conventional indicators.
I am not trying to be difficult or obtuse, but if the topic being discussed here is the use of disease-sniffing animals being more widespread in medical treatments, how exactly does this belong in the 'After 1900' forum, or how is this alternate history related at all? Where is the POD? How is this history related?

Look... I am not trying to be rude or anything, but the punny title aside, my feeling is that this, at most, belongs in the 'Non political chat' sub-forum.

The salient point in the research is the dogs are reliably identifying early emergent problems that are not indicated by common non lab diagnostics . No pain, swelling, fatigue, skin discoloration, headaches, discolored throat, lumps, ect that lead to tests of urine & blood or tissues samples.

My dogs have been able to communicate a lot to me non verbally. It requires patience and a lot of work. Working dogs a outstanding tools where the handlers can spend the appropriate time training them.
Maybe, but the more training that's required, the fewer dogs you'll have.

I am not trying to be difficult or obtuse, but if the topic being discussed here is the use of disease-sniffing animals being more widespread in medical treatments, how exactly does this belong in the 'After 1900' forum, or how is this alternate history related at all? Where is the POD? How is this history related?

Look... I am not trying to be rude or anything, but the punny title aside, my feeling is that this, at most, belongs in the 'Non political chat' sub-forum.
I'll agree the OP is a bit off. But is clear to me as a Wi subject & we can swiftly take it further in that direction rather than quibble over the OP having a sense of humor.

Maybe, but the more training that's required, the fewer dogs you'll have.
I max out at two under any circumstances. Professional guide dog trainers can handle volume & that may be more complex that diagnostic indication. Establishing communication with cats has been more interesting. Body language counts for more with them in my view.