AHC: Maximize Bomber Command Losses From 1939-1941

How could the Luftwaffe and German Anti-Aircraft have inflicted as many losses as possible on RAF Bomber Command from September 1939 to December 1941?

Deleted member 1487

What could be done organization wise?
More resources for the night fighter command earlier...other than that without technology changes their methods were working pretty damn well in that period. It forced the change to the Bomber Stream method to overcome it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kammhuber_Line
The Line was very effective at first, but was soon rendered useless by a simple change in tactics. The RAF directed all of its bombers to fly in a single stream, overwhelming the sectors, who could only intercept a single aircraft at a time. This led to a dramatic drop in interception rates compared to the raid size. The Line was eventually turned into a radar network, and the night fighters improved with their own radar sets to allow them to hunt on their own.

Deleted member 1487

btw kinda off topic but who gave the angled cannons the nick name of "jazz music" ?
Maybe the guy who tried it first?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schräge_Musik
Oberleutnant Rudolf Schoenert of 4./NJG 2 decided to experiment with upward-firing guns in 1941 and began trying out upward-firing installations, amid scepticism from his superiors and fellow pilots.[13]

Schönert was made CO of II./NJG 5, and an armourer serving with the Gruppe, Oberfeldwebel Mahle, developed a working arrangement with the unit's Messerschmitt Bf 110s, mounting a pair of MG FF/M 20 mm (0.79 in) cannon in the rear compartment of the upper fuselage, firing through twin holes in the canopy's glazing. Schönert used such a modified Bf 110 to shoot down a bomber in May 1943. From June 1943, an official conversion kit was produced for the Junkers Ju 88 and Dornier Do 217Nfighters.[13] Between August 1943 and the end of the year, Schönert achieved 18 kills with the new gun installation.[14]

Tyr Anazasi

Banned
One should let the German night fighters fight over the bomber bases of the British squadrons (Fernnachtjagd). So they could catch them in the most vulnerable phase. Kammhuber did successfully try this, but Hitler forbade.

Deleted member 1487

One should let the German night fighters fight over the bomber bases of the British squadrons (Fernnachtjagd). So they could catch them in the most vulnerable phase. Kammhuber did successfully try this, but Hitler forbade.
They were only discontinued in late 1941, which is at the very end of the period OP is talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nachtjagdgeschwader_2#Intruders_1940-41

I suppose you could resource them more and deny resources to bomber units instead as the aircraft would have to be Ju88Cs at that time. The Do217 night fighters would have been more useful as night bombers for intruder missions, but they weren't ready until 1942.

So...short of some technical advance or a lot more resources thrown at BC (only really possible without Barbarossa) I'm not sure how you make this happen in the time period in question. That is short of having BC continue daylight operations over Germany.
Having something as effective as the Lichtenstein radar minus the drag it imposed due to having a cavity magnetron working in 1941 would certainly make BC's losses at night much worse and probably would have forced a switch to the bomber stream earlier or a calling off of the bombing offensive for a while.

BlondieBC

Banned
I would go with another easy choice. Germany decides not to do the BoB. It frees up lots of air frames and experience pilots for the effort. Use about half of these losses to defend the homeland, and bomber losses should jump a good bit. Now depending on how much fighter air cover the Brits try to use over Flanders and France, it may increase or decrease British fighter losses.

BlondieBC

Banned
What could be done organization wise?

Besides Goering having a premature death from a car accident? You have to look at the organizational structure, but you want to check and see if their was a separate anti-bomber command in the Luftwaffe. Also, transfer your best generals and your most experience pilots to this command.

Also, more naval interdiction by air will have a positive impact. Indirect, but potentially huge. The more ships sunk on the way to the British Isles, the worse the supply situation will be for bomber command. It is hard to quantify, but things like less spare parts, less fuel for training, and other shortages can have a profound impact on the bomber command effectiveness.

BlondieBC

Banned
So...short of some technical advance or a lot more resources thrown at BC (only really possible without Barbarossa) I'm not sure how you make this happen in the time period in question. That is short of having BC continue daylight operations over Germany.
Having something as effective as the Lichtenstein radar minus the drag it imposed due to having a cavity magnetron working in 1941 would certainly make BC's losses at night much worse and probably would have forced a switch to the bomber stream earlier or a calling off of the bombing offensive for a while.

Also a bit indirect, but if we move up the V-1 deployment date, couldn't we force the UK to attempt sustained daylight bombing against V-1 sites? All over Flanders against a well organized air defense. I don't think politically a British government could allow V-1 to regularly hit London, and then do nothing.

Deleted member 1487

Also a bit indirect, but if we move up the V-1 deployment date, couldn't we force the UK to attempt sustained daylight bombing against V-1 sites? All over Flanders against a well organized air defense. I don't think politically a British government could allow V-1 to regularly hit London, and then do nothing.
Sure.

hammo1j

Donor
I agree with Wiking that is very strange that the Germans didn't get the cavity magnetron until January 1945.

One idea that could be tried is daylight strafing of bomber command aircraft in the UK. I know that in 1941 and 42 the RAF didn't have a complete air superiority over the UK and there were quite a lot of a fast bomber raids into the UK, so some F.W 190 s could do the job against parked aircraft

Deleted member 1487

I agree with Wiking that is very strange that the Germans didn't get the cavity magnetron until January 1945.

One idea that could be tried is daylight strafing of bomber command aircraft in the UK. I know that in 1941 and 42 the RAF didn't have a complete air superiority over the UK and there were quite a lot of a fast bomber raids into the UK, so some F.W 190 s could do the job against parked aircraft
Cavity magnetrons have some downsides and the Germans opted to go with safer technology rather than invest in something that didn't work as well.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavity_magnetron#Radar
Several characteristics of the magnetron's output make radar use of the device somewhat problematic. The first of these factors is the magnetron's inherent instability in its transmitter frequency. This instability results not only in frequency shifts from one pulse to the next, but also a frequency shift within an individual transmitted pulse. The second factor is that the energy of the transmitted pulse is spread over a relatively wide frequency spectrum, which requires the receiver to have a correspondingly wide bandwidth. This wide bandwidth allows ambient electrical noise to be accepted into the receiver, thus obscuring somewhat the weak radar echoes, thereby reducing overall receiver signal-to-noise ratio and thus performance. The third factor, depending on application, is the radiation hazard caused by the use of high power electromagnetic radiation.

What was surprising in retrospect is that the Japanese researchers didn't share their advanced models of cavity magnetrons when touring Germany in 1940-41:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoji_Ito#VHF

Perhaps if Ito shared it in late 1940 something could have been done with it. Part of the problem with the German model in 1935 is that it lacks true resonating cavities like the British and later Japanese models (I guess the Germans didn't figure out the utility of those until late), so that might have been part of the reason they didn't opt to pursue the technology at the time.

As to daylight staffing the RAF protected their bases pretty well against low level attacks; later the Allies were simply willing to pay the cost that aggressive strafing entailed, while the Luftwaffe in 1941 really couldn't afford that, especially with Barbarossa.

hammo1j

Donor
Agreed the Allies much better at sharing their technology than the Germans and Japanese. Indeed pretty much all of the radar that the Americans used was the H2X which was derived from the original British invention of H2S.

I would probably say then that the answers to the original posters question would be:
1.to progress with centimetric radar
2.more night intruder raids on returning bombers and bomber bases

Deleted member 1487

Agreed the Allies much better at sharing their technology than the Germans and Japanese. Indeed pretty much all of the radar that the Americans used was the H2X which was derived from the original British invention of H2S.

I would probably say then that the answers to the original posters question would be:
1.to progress with centimetric radar
2.more night intruder raids on returning bombers and bomber bases
You forgot nuclear tipped SAMs ;)

But seriously Germany did share with Japan, the Japanese, who were well received by the Germans thanks to Ito having studied in Germany pre-war and spoke fluent German plus was incredibly talented, did not share in return:
https://books.google.com/books?id=u...CAEQXw#v=onepage&q=ito yoji magnetron&f=false

Last edited by a moderator:
Then what might happen? Because of the heavier losses Bomber Command is forced to temporarily suspend offensive bombing missions. But what to do with the surviving and the newly built heavy bombers? Give most of them to Coastal Command. They would be put to very good use in the Battle of the Atlantic.