AHC: Korea colonizes part of North America.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
pacific-currents_0.png

I know it’s quite a challenge, but paint me a timeline. Thanks.

I think Japan is the more likely East Asian colonizer, since they have a straight shot. Korea needs to go around Japan to get to the open Pacific. Still, I don't think a Korean colony in North America is out of the question, although I think they would play second fiddle to the aforementioned Japanese.

I think Japan is the more likely East Asian colonizer, since they have a straight shot. Korea needs to go around Japan to get to the open Pacific. Still, I don't think a Korean colony in North America is out of the question, although I think they would play second fiddle to the aforementioned Japanese.
It's a long distance either way, and East Asian colonialism in North America is just as much solving structural issues within those countries as it is the sea conditions. For Korea, the challenge is why not simply go north to Manchuria instead of thousands of kilometers away to Alaska and the PNW?

Man, that map just made me realize how hard it would be for East Asia to reach South America. They're literally on the other side of the globe!

I just did a quick distance calculation (not accounting for winds) and by sea, Peru is closer to even Iberia than China...

It's a long distance either way, and East Asian colonialism in North America is just as much solving structural issues within those countries as it is the sea conditions. For Korea, the challenge is why not simply go north to Manchuria instead of thousands of kilometers away to Alaska and the PNW?
What are those structural issues?

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
The-northern-North-Pacific-Ocean-and-Bering-Sea-and-locations-of-places-discussed-in-the.png

The upwelling of cold water in the arctic brings nutrients to the surface, particularly nitrate and phosphate. These feed plankton and thus turbocharge a rich chain of life.

So, fishing could have a big motivator of expansion along northern coastlines. And add to this, some straight up drive for exploration.

GeographyDude

Gone Fishin'
. . . and East Asian colonialism in North America is just as much solving structural issues within those countries as it is the sea conditions. . .
What are those structural issues?
Let’s say Korea sells into a market for dried fish, in fact, largely creates this market. Almost as if they were creating an oil economy.

Furthermore, exploration becomes a way young men can prove themselves. It’s too much to hope that this would surpass war as a way to achieve recognition and prestige. But let’s say being on the crew of a noteworthy ship of exploration brings almost as much prestige as participating in a famous battle.

Last edited: