AHC: Have Canada and Australia buy the Trafalgar-class

Riain

Banned
For Australia the PoD would have to be in the 50s and involve buying the Nuclear Power reactor that we were going to install as part of the Snowy Mountains Scheme. A hot Confrontation and bigger Soviet presence in SEA would probably also be required.

This is almost enough for me to get a box of tissues.

But in order for this to occur as Riain has alluded to requires Australia to as a minimum have a domestic Nuclear industry. So the nuclear power plant that was going to be installed at Jervis Bay goes ahead, the strategic threat would need to be worse and the defence budget larger.

Although I have a love of fixed wing aviation this may mean the RAN will lose their fixed wing capability earlier to achieve a nuclear submarine.

For Canada!

For Canada to get the Trafalgar Class I think we need a greater Soviet threat in the North Atlantic and possibly in the Arctic as well. If Soviet submarines start appearing off Baffin Island, playing the seagoing version of a Bear bomber encroaching on our airspace the need might be there.

The biggest problem though really isn't need in Canada, it's the politicians. No one politician or party is willing to hang their hat on an expenditure like this. Hell they fought an election over the purchase of ASW and SAR helicopters, 4 nuc boats would be epic.