AHC Gothic Anatolia

With a POD before 1900 is it possible for Anatolia/modern Turkey becoming Gothic? By gothic it can either be as a national identity similar to France and the Franks. Or it can be ethnic, linguistic, religous or a mix.

Is this possible without derailing the Gothic migration into Italy, Gaul and Iberia?

Maybe something like this could be achived by a Gothic conquest similar to that of the Seljuk Turks. Or something similar to the Norman conquest of England. Or similar to the Lombard conquest of Italy. Or the Anglo-Saxon conquest of England. What about a conquest resembling the Mongol expansion? Which model is most likely to resemble a alternate timeling? Would you say a non mentioned model is more realistic?

430px-AnatolieLimits.jpg

Last edited:
Maybe through the Battle of Naissus in 268 AD going wrong for Rome, while the troubles with the breakaway Gauls and Palmyrenes aren't solved?
The Goths were raiding the Balkans and western Anatolia at that time, i can see them carving out an independent kingdom.

Russians invade Anatolia under the Ottomans and install a Crimean Goth as ruler for some contrived reason.

Bada bing, bada boom, “Gothia” is born! :p

By gothic it can either be as a national identity similar to France and the Franks. Or it can be ethnic, linguistic, religous or a mix.
So you mean mostly Greek with a few Gothic elements? Sure, as a sort-of Byzantine client state, though I doubt it'd be very sizeable.

So you mean mostly Greek with a few Gothic elements? Sure, as a sort-of Byzantine client state, though I doubt it'd be very sizeable.
The point of this thread is to try to make the most likely "Gothic" state emerge. You can try to make it as Gothic as possible. But if you don't think that Anatolia can be Gothicised similar to OTL Turkifiaction, then describe how this Gothic Anatolia would develop. Which barbarian succesor state or conquest(in general) would Gothic Anatolia moste resemble? Would it be Frankish Gaul, Gothic Italy or Iberia, Lombard Italy, Slavic Balkans, Saxon England, Turkish Anatolia, Turkic Central Asia, Arab Maghreb, Arab Egypt, Arab Levant, Arab Mesopotamia, Arab Iran, Vandal Africa or something i have not mentioned? You can present different scenarios, and how these scenarios come to be. Also one can discuss what would the most likely scenario.

Also OTL Gothia in the Crimean penisula fits your description, "So you mean mostly Greek with a few Gothic elements? Sure, as a sort-of Byzantine client state, though I doubt it'd be very sizeable.".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Muslim_conquest_of_Persia
Following the muslim conquest of Iran of which Arabs was the largest group, Iran did not see a linguistic shift as seen in Mesopotamia, the Levant, Egypt, the Maghreb and Sudan. Instead Persian and other Iranic languages remained, but that does not change the fact that Iran was conquered by Arabs. Some of the Arab legacy in Iran is present today in the form of Islam.
I understand the history of Iran, but the term Arab Iran is a bit misleading, it made me think that you though Iran was Arabic, it’s Persian

Maybe have Maxentius win at Milvian and keep the capital in Italy? Over time Italy could retain its position as the heart of the empire, and thus Anatolia might be less defended and fall to Germanics in Italy's place. This timeline would probably require a lot more war with Persia weakening the east and no Vandal invasion of the African breadbasket though.

Maybe we see a invasion of Anatolia in the 4th century by Alans fleeing the Huns, these raid and depopulate the Anatolian Highland, the Ostrogoth beat back the Huns at first only to be attacked again, and the Ostrogoths flee into East Roman land, where the Romans decides to settle them as confederalis in the depopulated central Anatolia, later Visigoth refugees join them. Later the Eadt Romans abuses over their Arian faith make them rise up, and they end up setting up a kingdom in Anatolia. Later the Balkan remnant of the East Roman Empire falls to the Huns, and Gothic former vassal moves in and set up their own kingdom there, while the emperor flee to Egypt (ending up with a East Roman Empire of Egypt, Syria, the Greek Peninsula and the Greek islands). The Anatolian and Thracian Goth end up thriving, but later Slavic expansion result in the Thracian Goths fleeing in large numbers to Anatolia, which turn more and more Gothic.

I heard from somewhere that, had Attila not gained control over the Hunnic tribes, the Visigoths and Ostrogoths would have continued their raids into the Balkans, eventually reaching and passing through the Bosphorus.