AHC: French Indochina is never Japanese occupied in WWII

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Here is the challenge- there must be a World War Two with American and Soviet theaters in Europe against Germany, and American and Soviet theaters (even if brief) against Japan in the Asia-Pacific. However, in contrast to OTL, French Indochina never ends up Japanese occupied during this war.

Perhaps Japan decides participate to Barbarossa and create front to Siberia. This would take so much of troops that they can't invade Indochina.

But it is another question what would get Japan to decide differently.

Perhaps Japan decides participate to Barbarossa and create front to Siberia. This would take so much of troops that they can't invade Indochina.

With no occupation of Indochina there would be no sanctions placed upon Japan by the US, given that Japan was quite divided about going south or north, perhaps, with no sanctions in place (so no lack of imports) the Germans manage to convince the Japanese to assist in Barbarossa, leading to the very awkward scenario where after the DoW against the Soviet Union, Japan find itself under harsh sanctions from the US, eventually forcing them after capturing Vladivostok and some territory of Siberia to divert half of their forces for a campaign against the Philippines, Dutch East Indies and Burma.

In this scenario the Soviet Union might as well fall. There's also the British situation to consider, with no entry of the US in 1941-42, their convoy situation would continue to worsen and might lead to shortages of material and food...

Hmm, perhaps, as the Japanese were aware that by 42-43 the US will outproduce them, they might go with Yamamoto's plan for 18 I-400 submarines being able to attack the US coast without refueling... and instead of Pearl Harbor they will strike with said submarines multiple target ports where the US fleet is based at.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
So, basically a Go-North plan (Soviet) and Go-South plan (Philippines)?
Interesting! Would like to see how one would envision that one working out. It is one of those things about which one is tempted to say, "It's a Bold Strategy Cotton, Let's See if it Pays Off for Em':

Perhaps the Japanese move against the USSR in summer/fall 1941 (and do not occupy Indochina - maybe because Indochina goes Free French and has British alignment/protection, maybe some other reason). However, the US and UK and Dutch, not wanting the USSR to fall to Japan (and Germany) soon embargo Japan over Strike North. The Japanese, contrary to their expectations need to use Naval, Naval Air and Special Naval Landing Forces, and maybe something fewer than the 11 IJA Divisions they used in OTL's for an improvised strike south. Because of less airpower and IJA, and less fuel support, the Japanese can only support a single, direct axis of advance south through the Philippines to the Dutch East Indies, and aim to close up the campaign with a taking of Malaya and Singapore if possible. They don't have the forces to send to Indochina, Thailand, and Burma in the same campaign season, and the DEI is much more important, with the PI vital for shipping DEI oil to Japan and neutralizing the US Asiatic fleet.
Indeed, this is the hard part.

Things that *maybe* could hold the Japanese back in September 1940 -

1) The local French administration declares Free French, which means allied with Britain, which means Japan cannot threaten to invade Indochina expecting to fight the French in isolation, it has to expect to fight the British too. And if fighting the British, that means fighting the Dutch, Australians, and Americans too. But all those countries are harder to fight with a chance of success, without having a headstart of occupying bases in Indochina.

2) The Germans decline to support, and oppose, Japanese occupation of northern French Indochina in the September 1940-March 1941 period. Possibly even letting Vichy France send reinforcements to the colony. Berlin tells the Japanese it will support Japanese occupation of the territory the moment Japan declares and wages war upon Britain, but not a minute sooner. German motivation is to make the Japanese 'earn' territorial expansion by fighting, not scavenging. After winter 1940-1941, when the clear priority for Germany is Barbarossa, the German condition changes - The Germans now say that would be amenable to allowing Japanese occupation of French Indochina, but only *after* Japan joins Germany in a war against the Soviet Union and achieves victory against her. German motivation is the same: Make the Japanese 'earn' territorial expansion by fighting Germany's priority enemy, not scavenging.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
With no occupation of Indochina there would be no sanctions placed upon Japan by the US, given that Japan was quite divided about going south or north, perhaps, with no sanctions in place (so no lack of imports) the Germans manage to convince the Japanese to assist in Barbarossa, leading to the very awkward scenario where after the DoW against the Soviet Union, Japan find itself under harsh sanctions from the US, eventually forcing them after capturing Vladivostok and some territory of Siberia to divert half of their forces for a campaign against the Philippines, Dutch East Indies and Burma.

In this scenario the Soviet Union might as well fall. There's also the British situation to consider, with no entry of the US in 1941-42, their convoy situation would continue to worsen and might lead to shortages of material and food...

Hmm, perhaps, as the Japanese were aware that by 42-43 the US will outproduce them, they might go with Yamamoto's plan for 18 I-400 submarines being able to attack the US coast without refueling... and instead of Pearl Harbor they will strike with said submarines multiple target ports where the US fleet is based at.
Very interesting ideas @Nell_Lucifer - I would question the feasibility of a Burma campaign though- how would they get there without marching through Indochina and Thailand.
Nell_Lucifer:
forcing them to divert half of their forces for a campaign against the Philippines, Dutch East Indies and Burma.
Did you perhaps mean to say Malaya? Or Borneo? Which at least were accessible by the South China Sea.

In this scenario the Soviet Union might as well fall.
I still *highly*, highly doubt that would happen. The Soviets still had large #s of forces in the east, and they would still always prioritize holding on in Europe to hold the German threat. Nothing will force them to divide their forces stupidly so that the Germans win in Europe. That means if it is a question of reinforcing Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Caucasus, and Donbas, or reinforcing to hold the Far East and 3 or 5 thousand kilometers of Siberia, the Soviets will always reinforce the western locations and give up the low population density forest land in Siberia (temporarily), if they even have to. The worst thing the Soviets will lose will be the ability to import Lend-Lease supplies through Vladivostock and any other Pacific ports. Even that should not kill the Soviets when they are killable in 1941 and 1942. It won't kill them because the amounts were relatively smaller in 1941 1942, and were largely not finished weapons systems but food, POL, and items like trucks. The main impact would probably be simply that more of the Soviets most vulnerable civilians, the old, infant, handicapped, isolated, politically imprisoned, would starve from shortages.

Later on in the war, the inability to use those ports would leave Soviet supplies more bottlenecked and create more of a pain in the a$$ for making the Soviets as mobile and deadly as they were at the end of the war. The Western Allies, and possibly Soviets, will probably have to divert resources from some other projects to make the highway and railway connections across Iran even denser than they were in OTL to pick up slack from the unused Pacific ports

with no entry of the US in 1941-42, their convoy situation would continue to worsen and might lead to shortages of material and food...
Whenever the Philippines get attacked, the US is going to get drawn into the war, and Japan will have to grab the oil not long after being embargoed. So the delay would be a limited # of months.

And actually, once the US got into the war, the convoy and shipping situation got *worse* for the Allies before it got better. Any later or lesser attack on the British Far East is better for Britain's global posture if the US still ultimately gets into the war.

Yamamoto's plan for 18 I-400 submarines being able to attack the US coast without refueling... and instead of Pearl Harbor they will strike with said submarines multiple target ports where the US fleet is based at.
I don't know much about the I-400 platform, except it sounds like you're saying they had extremely long range and endurance.

Could they carry a lot of firepower in terms of torpedos and guns to take down many major surface combatant targets?

Very interesting ideas @Nell_Lucifer - I would question the feasibility of a Burma campaign though- how would they get there without marching through Indochina and Thailand.

Did you perhaps mean to say Malaya? Or Borneo? Which at least were accessible by the South China Sea.
Yes, Borneo . Sorry, I confused the two.
I still *highly*, highly doubt that would happen. The Soviets still had large #s of forces in the east, and they would still always prioritize holding on in Europe to hold the German threat. Nothing will force them to divide their forces stupidly so that the Germans win in Europe. That means if it is a question of reinforcing Moscow, Leningrad, Stalingrad, Caucasus, and Donbas, or reinforcing to hold the Far East and 3 or 5 thousand kilometers of Siberia, the Soviets will always reinforce the western locations and give up the low population density forest land in Siberia (temporarily), if they even have to. The worst thing the Soviets will lose will be the ability to import Lend-Lease supplies through Vladivostock and any other Pacific ports. Even that should not kill the Soviets when they are killable in 1941 and 1942. It won't kill them because the amounts were relatively smaller in 1941 1942, and were largely not finished weapons systems but food, POL, and items like trucks. The main impact would probably be simply that more of the Soviets most vulnerable civilians, the old, infant, handicapped, isolated, politically imprisoned, would starve from shortages.

Later on in the war, the inability to use those ports would leave Soviet supplies more bottlenecked and create more of a pain in the a$$ for making the Soviets as mobile and deadly as they were at the end of the war. The Western Allies, and possibly Soviets, will probably have to divert resources from some other projects to make the highway and railway connections across Iran even denser than they were in OTL to pick up slack from the unused Pacific ports
It is true that the Soviets had large forces in the east, though, they still moved I believe half of what they had or at a minimum 30%. And while this number did not really change for the duration of the war, the quality of the troops did. I think half or a bit more than half of the divisions making the east forces were replaced with untrained and outdated equipped ones.

So, it might make a difference in the defense of Moscow, while I don't expect the Germans to take Moscow they might remain lodged in their previous positions and enable them to attack after consolidating for a few months.

Taking Vladivostok will prove quite disastrous for the Soviets during 1942-43. I think the port received 60% of Lend-Lease, Murmansk being the only other option that was under constant U-boat attacks.

Whenever the Philippines get attacked, the US is going to get drawn into the war, and Japan will have to grab the oil not long after being embargoed. So the delay would be a limited # of months.

And actually, once the US got into the war, the convoy and shipping situation got *worse* for the Allies before it got better. Any later or lesser attack on the British Far East is better for Britain's global posture if the US still ultimately gets into the war.
That is obvious, I believe the Philippines had a US protectorate status until 46 at the time? Either way, I think the most likely scenario would be for the Japanese to join the war in 1942 against the Soviet Union (I think that was the set date for Go North?) and it will take at minimum for the US to impose the sanctions (100% of them at least, because in the first week they will receive some, mild ones that will only stack up as times passes), it will take at a minimum half a year for the Japanese to prepare any kind of operations for Go South, I find it more likely they will do it in the interval of December 42 to January/February 43.

The convoy situation is... tricky. While the situation got worse (second happy time) for the Allies, there's the matter to consider about acceptable loses. 68 million tons were imported in 1938, 26 million in 1941 by the British, thousands of convoys were sunk each year, faster than the British could build and repair them. The US entry opened the door for US built merchant ships even if half of those were sunk, it will still be a positive for the British ability to import material and food.

I don't know much about the I-400 platform, except it sounds like you're saying they had extremely long range and endurance.

Could they carry a lot of firepower in terms of torpedos and guns to take down many major surface combatant targets?
One I-400 could carry 3 float planes and go back and forth between the US and Japan without refueling. 8 torpedoes and one 14cm cannon + a few anti air autocannons. It could certainly be designed to carry more torpedoes but even in this configuration, it would need only 8 torpedoes to sunk 3 warships in a port and a few shells of 14cm to sink a few more before having to retreat.

What if, however, Japan makes every effort to avoid American involvement and ignores the Philippines entirely, declaring war solely against Britain and the Netherlands (if not solely the Netherlands)?

This, along with abandoning plans to occupy French Indochina, might give them significantly more room to conduct both a Go North plan and a Go South plan, with the former being primarily an IJA show and the latter primarily an IJN show. Naval forces alone (including IJNAF squadrons and the SNLF paratroops) could potentially be enough to secure the NEI assuming war with Britain is avoided.

>The government of France recognises Japan’s genuine needs for fair trade and civil assistance in shipping.

what bases?

thaddeus

Donor
The Germans decline to support, and oppose, Japanese occupation of northern French Indochina in the September 1940-March 1941 period. Possibly even letting Vichy France send reinforcements to the colony.
certainly the Germans not doing this historically soured German-Vichy relations, and one could argue for little (or no) gain, since the Japanese didn't enter the war for 14 months. (and when they did they brought the US fully into the conflict, at a point Germany was trying to avoid that)

by Sept. 1940 Japan had remained out of the German-Allied conflict for a year, furthering the German-Vichy collaboration might seem a safer bet? as well a return to German-Sino trading?

One I-400 could carry 3 float planes and go back and forth between the US and Japan without refueling. 8 torpedoes and one 14cm cannon + a few anti air autocannons. It could certainly be designed to carry more torpedoes but even in this configuration, it would need only 8 torpedoes to sunk 3 warships in a port and a few shells of 14cm to sink a few more before having to retreat.
8 torpedoes to sink 3 major warships seems a bit optimistic. Gunther Priens sinking of the Royal Oak took 7 - 2 missed, 1 malfunctioned, 1 hit for minimal damage & the last 3 were the fatal ones. This was with a ship moored in harbour and so unalert that sailors returned to their hammocks after the first, harmless, hit.

8 torpedoes to sink 3 major warships seems a bit optimistic. Gunther Priens sinking of the Royal Oak took 7 - 2 missed, 1 malfunctioned, 1 hit for minimal damage & the last 3 were the fatal ones. This was with a ship moored in harbour and so unalert that sailors returned to their hammocks after the first, harmless, hit.
Eh... not really? I don't believe a comparison between the Japanese torpedoes and the German ones would work in this scenario. The I-400 was armed with the Type 95 torpedo, which, while slightly larger than it's German counterpart it packed twice the explosive power and range, so, if it would take 2 German torpedoes to sink a warship it should only take 1 Japanese to do the same job. (They were also pretty reliable compared to everyone else's...)

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Expanding on the @Nell_Lucifer & @Lalli Japan goes north before going South scenario: we can make a rough timeline-

Sep 1940 - Japan does not occupy Vichy French Indochina - in significant part because the Germans only want to agree if Japan commits to war against Britain on a set timetable. Japan is Unwilling to commit at that time, so Germany encourages Vichy to resist Japanese demands for bases. [they do accept demands to shut down rail to China].

consequently, the US doesn’t embargo iron ore and scrap metal to Japan.

The European and Sino-Japanese wars proceed like OTL through July 1941. This includes the launch of Barbarossa in Jun 41’. By this point Germany is interested in Japan attacking Russia, not Indochina, so it offers to be supportive on the latter only after Japan helps on the former. Meanwhile since Japan has not moved into any part of Indochina, north or south, the US is not embargoing any raw materials.

America steadily increases lend lease to Britain, then China, and then the USSR.

Supply routes are developed through Murmansk, the Pacific to Vladivostok, and gradually increasing over the long term, Persia.

The US role in the undeclared naval war in the Atlantic increased over summer and fall 1941.

The Soviets maintain numerical formation strength in the Far East from June through December 1941, but the active European fronts consistently receive priority for quality trained manpower and equipment reinforcements. The Lend-lease “taps” of this era match OTL.

Meanwhile the Japanese are doing tabletop ‘strike north’ Kantokuen exercises and setting conditions for joining the war against the USSR.

The Japanese formula is the assembly of a certain number of units and aircraft in Manchuria, an upgrade of tanks and trucks, and a reduction in Soviet unit strength at the border, alongside political collapse or military collapse in Europe at German hands as factors.

These factors of preparation and opportunity do not align during the 1941 campaign, certainly not early enough in the season, to support a Japanese strike north that year.

Since December 7th passes with no special war news, Japan and the USA are not pulled into the broader war then or for the beginning months of 1942. The US fleet, Army, and Army AirCorps build up continues as Lend Lease rises, but not at the extreme rate of OTL’s WW2. Same with the US Manhattan project.

Compared to OTL Dec 1941-may 1942, the Allies are suffering from a lesser surge of Allied production.

….to be continued…

Last edited:
Eh... not really? I don't believe a comparison between the Japanese torpedoes and the German ones would work in this scenario. The I-400 was armed with the Type 95 torpedo, which, while slightly larger than it's German counterpart it packed twice the explosive power and range, so, if it would take 2 German torpedoes to sink a warship it should only take 1 Japanese to do the same job. (They were also pretty reliable compared to everyone else's...)
It took three Japanese submarine torpedo hits to sink the relatively unarmoured USS Wasp.

The most I would realistically hope for with eight Model 95 torps in my sub's magazine is one Allied warship sunk and another moderately damaged.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
The @Nell_Lucifer & @Lalli Japan goes north before going South scenario - continued-

But compared to OTL Dec 1941-may 1942, the British Empire forces are being spared a shellacking at Hong Kong, Singapore, and other parts of the Far East at the hands of the Japanese, and this causes Hitler to keep more restrictive geographic ROE on his U-Boats, keeping them to the eastern half of the Atlantic, preventing the "second happy time". This relatively reduced pressure on Britain is a boon to the British war effort in the Afro-Mediterranean front, and spares Britain the ignominy of the June 1942 fall of Tobruk [corrected retroactively]. British forces instead hold a forward position Cyrenaica at least the whole year, and over the course of it, push forward to the west inexorably in Libya in the direction of Tripoli.

Meanwhile, the Japanese Army begins to look more favorably on a strike north campaign during the early months of 1942 as it becomes apparent that the Germans are holding their own against the Red Army counterattacks and massing for a new summer offensive against the USSR, all while the correlation of forces on the Manchukuo-Soviet border becomes increasingly less favorable to the Soviets. At the beginning of the year Dates: Dec 24, 1941 – Jan 15, 1942, the Japanese take one last crack (for awhile) at Changsha to try to beat the Chinese by seizing the Hunan rice bowl region. As in OTL, the attempt fails, and that is despite their ability, not fighting the western allies, to engage many more air groups, spend fuel from more extensive stocks and engage potentially 11 more IJA divisions in a battle plan that was somewhat like 1944's Ichigo offensive. At this point of winter 1941-42, the focus and concentration and morale and numbers of Chinese forces engaged, and skill of their commanders, was too great for Japan to prevail, and the Chinese are aided by not having to divert forces and attention to Burma or the Indochinese border. [retroactive revision of this paragraph]

The Japanese build-up continues into the spring months, and compels some reinforcement of the Far East that did not take place in OTL. The Japanese still hesitate to launch a 'go' order until the European Axis launches however. The May 1942 battle of Izyum bulge attracts great attention and anticipation, while the opening of the German offensive, Case Blue, towards the Donbass, inspires much excitement among the Japanese with its kickoff in June. The Japanese rush to complete their preparations, and ultimately launch their all-arms attack on the USSR on 22 June, 1942.

The Japanese face fierce resistance all along the line and incur heavy losses, but do instantly block off Vladivostok and Soviet Pacific ports, carrying 50% of Allied Lend-Lease to the USSR, to Allied shipping, and Japanese forces do gain ground, cutting the TSRR in multiple places.

An unexpectedly sharp and decisive and comprehensive response to Japan's invasion of the USSR is the American decision to embargo the whole range of raw materials like iron ore, steel scrap, and any crude oil or refined petroleum products. Further, Japanese dollar-denominated assets in US banks are frozen. Perhaps less surprising to the Japanese, or they should have been, the British Empire and Dutch Empire follow suit cooperating with the US embargo and freeze measures against Japan within days.

The IJA promises the Emperor and Cabinet it will seize key terrain to assist in defeat of the Red Army and forcing of a surrender or favorable peace by the fall of 1942, well before fuel stocks run out, but internally and confidentially, all military services and bureaucracies are panicking about the problem of how to sustain a fuel supply through a full campaign season in Siberia and beyond.

....to be continued...

Last edited:
Things that *maybe* could hold the Japanese back in September 1940 -

1) The local French administration declares Free French, which means allied with Britain, which means Japan cannot threaten to invade Indochina expecting to fight the French in isolation, it has to expect to fight the British too. And if fighting the British, that means fighting the Dutch, Australians, and Americans too. But all those countries are harder to fight with a chance of success, without having a headstart of occupying bases in Indochina.

2) The Germans decline to support, and oppose, Japanese occupation of northern French Indochina in the September 1940-March 1941 period. Possibly even letting Vichy France send reinforcements to the colony. Berlin tells the Japanese it will support Japanese occupation of the territory the moment Japan declares and wages war upon Britain, but not a minute sooner. German motivation is to make the Japanese 'earn' territorial expansion by fighting, not scavenging. After winter 1940-1941, when the clear priority for Germany is Barbarossa, the German condition changes - The Germans now say that would be amenable to allowing Japanese occupation of French Indochina, but only *after* Japan joins Germany in a war against the Soviet Union and achieves victory against her. German motivation is the same: Make the Japanese 'earn' territorial expansion by fighting Germany's priority enemy, not scavenging.
Thing is, according to Bussemaker (https://pure.uva.nl/ws/files/3097460/11090_Thesis.pdf) the FIC government first asked help from the US on the matter of the Yunnan Railway and later tried to purchase planes there as well, both times they were declined. The United Kingdom refused to guarentee the borders of French Indochina in turn so there was no joining the Allies either (the same thing happened in the DEI). The British position in South East Asia was simply too weak.
Accordingg to Hesse d'Alzon,2800 the evident weakness of British forces in the Far East wass the main reason that France had no other choice than to seek an accomodation with thee Japanese, as their naval and air forces were insufficient to withstand a determined Japanesee assault It leaves open the question as to what would have been the French position,, if England had bluffed and had assured the wavering French of British naval and militaryy support Catroux might well have been able to secure FIC for the Free French Movementt of De Gaulle. But the British themselves, reeling from the defeat in Flanders hadd no coherent Far Eastern policy at that time. (See Chapter 2). Therefore, in order not to o upsett the apple cart, the British took no risks in giving the Japanese an excuse for occupyingg FIC. Gaullist broadcasts from Singapore were even halted2301 .
[...]
Thee British did not help by enforcing a blockade of French shipping all over the world whichh isolated the colony even further, excepting only traffic over the South China Sea, whichh was covered by the Gentlemen's Agreement between Noble and Decoux. The Frenchh freighter ESPERANCE was even brought up on its way from Madagaskar to Djibouti,, were it was scheduled to transport 4 battalions of Senegalese troops to FIC2505 . Thee French Government then ordered all French vessels into French-controlled harbors, againn with the exception of FIC itself. An understanding was reached, however, and from 5 Septemberr 1940 one ship each ten days was allowed to depart from Marseilles to FIC. Thiss line of communication remained open until September 1941. The British however did nott allow any substantial reinforcement of FIC for reasons which will be explained below.

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
Thing is, according to Bussemaker (https://pure.uva.nl/ws/files/3097460/11090_Thesis.pdf) the FIC government first asked help from the US on the matter of the Yunnan Railway and later tried to purchase planes there as well, both times they were declined. The United Kingdom refused to guarentee the borders of French Indochina in turn so there was no joining the Allies either (the same thing happened in the DEI). The British position in South East Asia was simply too weak.

[...]
Wow, you sure gave me some homework to read before responding. Thanks for linking though - this looks like a goldmine - and shouldn't take long to mine all the specifically relevant sections! :)

raharris1973

Gone Fishin'
The @Nell_Lucifer & @Lalli Japan goes north before going south scenario - continued-

By July 4th 1942, Japan finds itself about two weeks into war with the Soviet Union with no notable territorial gains to show for it and a comprehensive western embargo imposed. It’s operations have dropped tons of ordnance on Soviet troops, sunk a multitude of Soviet Pacific fleet vessels, downed numerous Soviet aircraft, and mined Soviet Pacific ports. Most importantly, they have cut off shipping to the Soviet Pacific coast by driving away neutral shipping and attriting Soviet shipping.

Soviet troops in the fortified border regions put up a stubborn defense, but have little mobility for any counter-attacks in depth. Japanese airstrikes also impede lateral traffic along the Trans-Siberian Railroad where it is adjacent to the Manchukuo border.

The Soviet Stavka, simultaneously facing a breach of their southern front in the Donbass and northern Caucasus, is hard pressed to regain the initiative against both the German-led European Axis and the Japanese invaders at this time.

However, Stalin and Stavka have little problem reaching consensus that the priority for resources must remain the European front, first, last and always, to protect and buffer not only the capital, but the mineral and agriculturally rich step regions and the roads to control Soviet oil production at Grozny and Baku in the Caucasus. Certainly all resources and reinforcements from the Soviet Union west of the Yenisei and possibly Lena rivers, and all incoming Lend-Lease resources coming in from the northern Murmansk run and the Persian Gulf route must be allocated to the European front, with Far Eastern and Mongolian forces only subsisting on their local and regional resource bases.

The loss of Pacific Lend-Lease however creates immediate bottlenecks nationwide in the supply of food and POL. Effects are nationwide, but the effects are more acutely felt in food deficit regions like the Far East and interior Arctic.

Fortunately for the Soviets, for the first several weeks of their war with Japan, the Japanese are not making the deep territorial advances and troop encirclements the Germans are in the west, and the Japanese are facing facing heavy casualties from Soviet infantry amply backed by heavy artillery, armor and air forces.

However, the Soviet forces are facing heavy losses also, and theirs are irreplaceable.

In reaction to their strained position, the Soviets are practically screaming at their Chinese Communist comrades to initiate all-out divisional, brigade, and army level assaults on Japanese forces to divert their attention back to North China.

Mao declines to follow Moscow’s plainly suicidal directives for frontal offensives, but does increase the visibility and profile of guerrilla attacks and political organizing behind Japanese lines. The Japanese build-up and concentration for initial offensives from Manchukuo into the Soviet Far East and Mongolia did cause the Japanese to thin some of their lines and patrols in northern China, especially the hinterland, and the Chinese Communists take full advantage to expand their base areas and defeat, plunder, and subvert exposed puppet regime troops.

Slowly at first in the summer of 1942, but more rapidly as the seasons change to autumn and winter, the Manchukuo-Mongolia-Far East front becomes an ever greater troop suck for the Japanese, forcing even more troop transfers from the Chinese garrisons, allowing the Chinese Communists to fill more of the vacuum and undertake ever bolder attacks.

A similar process starts in Central and Southern China. The USSR is encouraging Chiang Kai-shek to mount full-throated attacks against Japanese garrisons in the Yangtze valley cities. Chiang is not so reckless to bet the farm on all or nothing assaults, but does take advantage of breathing space from Japanese troop transfers and reduced pressure to mount local counterattacks, step up guerrilla operations, and position forces to menace and harass the Japanese in a Fabian tactical manner.

The Navy and its air arm supports the anti-Soviet operations by crushing the Soviet Pacific fleet and with landing operations to help clean up Sakhalin, land on the opposing shore, and seize parts of Kamchatka. It masters its opponents at sea, but suffers some unwelcome pilot and aircraft and SNLF losses to Soviet ground and air forces.

Overall, this Strike North campaign is a strategic nightmare for the Japanese Navy, resulting almost immediately in an end to foreign petroleum imports, and calls for support to the Army led strategy with some depleting pressures on the naval oil reserve, and the prospect, for as long as the Soviet and Chinese wars continue, of having the Navy’s air assets commandeered to reinforce the Army’s mainland successes or redeem their mainland failures.

By early August, the IJN Fleet (majority) faction along with the remains of the Army strike south faction send memorials to Cabinet, and Privy Council and throne warning that Japan must strike south within 90 days to seize the oil of the Dutch East Indies and Borneo, or Japan’s naval autonomy will be lost forever - unless Japan can restore international oil supplies by diplomacy.

The government insists on pursuing a diplomatic track before committing irrevocably to war, but the government concedes to a timetable.

The IJN plan for the strike south prioritizes in sequence as strike south from Taiwan, Hainan, the Spratlys and the mandated islands onto the Philippines, Guam, and the eastern half of the Dutch East Indies and northern Borneo. The immediate follow on objectives are the remaining western islands of the Dutch East Indies, Singapore, Malaya, the Bismarcks, Solomons, and Papua New Guinea.

IJN logic is that the Philippines are an essential target, as they sit astride the main shipping lane between the DEI and Japan. Although the western DEI are more petroleum rich, the eastern and central DEI are more geographically accessible by short leaps accessible to land-based Japanese AirPower operating from Japan’s mandated islands and Taiwan. Captured forward airfields will have to be used to extend Japanese land-based air power support and then the occupation as quickly as possible to the western DEI. This is where the lack of prior occupation of French Indochina hurts Japanese ability to quickly power project by a western prong to Malaya, the Kra Isthmus, and Borneo.

The Japanese, as a tertiary objective, after securing the DEI and Malaya, hope their defeats of the American Asiatic Fleet and British Far Eastern fleet will intimidate the Vichy French authorities into permitting Japanese occupation and transit rights. [The maximum concession the French have been willing to yield from 1940-1942 has been the cessation of ground and sea traffic to China, but not basing Japanese forces], and inspire Thailand to ally with Japan and support further operations against British Burma and India.

However, given existing Japanese commitments in China, and their massive ground and air commitment on the anti-Soviet, anti-Mongolian front in 1942, and the requirements to reducing the increasingly strong US Philippine garrison and Philippine Commonwealth Army, Japan simply has no Army Divisions, air groups, or Special Naval Landing Forces left over to mount a credible invasion threat of French Indochina or anyplace in mainland Southeast Asia at the same time, and has to trust in Vichy French Indochina’s neutrality at the outset of its assault on the ABDA powers.

Admiral Yamamoto insists that the the strike south for the Indies and PI coincide with a disarming first strike against the US fleet at Pearl Harbor.

As Japanese-US diplomacy fails, Japan strikes Pearl Harbor, the Philippines, DEI, Hong Kong, on the first Sunday of November 1942.

…Meanwhile, on the North African front, the British 8th Army has spent the time period between June 1942 and November 1942 dueling with Axis forces between Tobruk and Tripoli in Libya, steadily gaining a materiel and air advantage while catching up with the Axis in tactical proficiency.

The closure of Pacific Lend-Lease to the Soviet Union also raises the priority of improving the infrastructure for Persian Gulf Lend Lease for all the Allied powers. The British, with American engineering assistance, boost port, road, and rail construction in Iraq and Iran to supply the Soviet Union via Baku and the Caspian Sea. To protect this endangered investment as the Axis Case Blue offensive aimed at the Caucasus unfolds, the British even detach some fighter formations to participate in the air defense of Soviet oilfields in the Caucasus, much like in 1941 they had dispatched a fighter group to northern Russia. In this June through November 1942 timeframe, the absence of an active British fighting front in the Far East enables the British focus on the Middle East-North Africa and Atlantic theaters. Nevertheless, Japanese entry into the war against the USSR, and the western program of sanctions against Japan, do compel British imperial forces to reinforce somewhat in the Far East and raise their alert levels from July onward.

…Meanwhile back again on Soviet battlefronts…

Japanese persistence, and attrition of Soviet forces protecting the border regions finally begins to tell, and Soviet forces need to make major retrenchments in the face of Japanese advances in the Far East. By the beginning of August, all Soviet guns in Vladivostok are silenced. By August 15th, all Sakhalin is in Japanese hands. By the end of August, all of the Kamchatka peninsula and primorsky krai/maritime province have been occupied by the Japanese, and the integrity of the Manchukuo frontier has been restored along the entire Amur. By September 15th, Japanese forces occupy Soviet outer Manchuria up to the Stanovoy mountains, reducing Soviet resistance to the south to isolated pockets. The remainder of the fighting year in northeast Asia through December 15th is consumed with Japanese pushes to occupies the Chita and Irkutsk and southern Buryatia regions, east of Lake Baikal, stabilize western Manchukuo, and occupy eastern Outer Mongolia. These operations burn through much of the IJA’s fuel reserves and vehicles and pull in mobile forces and air support from field armies in China. As the season goes on, Japanese reliance on human and animal power for mobility over machine and vehicle power increases. There is significant material want and starvation on both sides of the line here, but it is somewhat more catastrophic for the Soviets and Mongolians who don’t have as many nearby agriculturally productive Chinese and Korean peasants to skim sustenance off of.

Demand for Arctic bushmeat is devastating to many Arctic megafauna and indigenous cultures.

In Europe, Nazi spearheads approach perilously close to Grozny and the Caucasus mountains, and Nazi troops occupy Stalingrad, a point that Hitler fixates upon. The Nazis push the Soviets aside from their highest priority objectives, but the Soviets remain an important force in being. Meanwhile, the Soviet hold over the Moscow sector remains secure.

Lend-Lease imports absorbed up through 22 June 1942, and internal production, sustain Soviet resistance through the summer and autumn combat season, but rations and fuel supplies are shortened across the board compared with OTL by November 1942. Somewhat greater investment in the Persian Gulf Lend-Lease will start to help eventually, but not really until some point in 1943.

Lower fuel reserves, and a hungrier, less productive factory workforce makes it take longer for the Soviets to prepare for and ultimately launch their counteroffensive around Stalingrad.

Into this mix comes the Japanese strike on the US fleet at Pearl Harbor, and strike on insular Southeast Asia, commencing from early November, 1942. This diverts multiple IJA and IJN air groups from pressing the offensive in the Soviet Far East and eastern Siberia. It also brings Japan immediately to war with the US, UK, Netherlands, and Australia.

Already annoyed increasingly brazen American convoys all the way to Ireland and antisubmarine patrols, Hitler is happy to hear of the initial American setbacks and happy to have the Japanese fleet engaged on his side.

Hitler feels liberated and finally able to unleash his U Boats for unrestricted operations across the Atlantic and declares war on the USA.

The Japanese and German attacks and declarations of war have a rally around the flag effect which limits the Democrats midterm election losses.

The Japanese assault on Pearl Harbor is detected by radar only around the final hour of approach. In the ensuing battle, a majority of the US Pacific battle line of battleships and carriers is sunk or heavily damaged. Some of the carriers and battleships are underway and sunk a short distance outside the harbor, other are sunk in the harbor, but engage in the fight with battle stations manned. There is heavy attrition of US Army and Naval air squadrons at Pearl both in combat and of aircraft still on the ground. However, the limited warning and manning of battle stations also causes substantial damage to the first wave of Japanese attacking aircraft and forces the Japanese to abandon a second wave of attacks. None of the Japanese flattops themselves are sunk or directly engaged by US ships or aircraft, despite some attempted hunting by US subs and air patrols.

In the Philippines, the Japanese attacks, to the chagrin of Washington, destroy much of US Far East air force on the ground, and these forces miss the opportunity to preemptively attack Japanese air forces massing in Taiwan.

The Japanese take advantage of the dispersed geography of the Philippines to land at multiple points throughout the archipelago, including points on Luzon and Mindanao.

MacArthur’s decision to defend at the beaches instead of Corregidor is disastrous for the defense of Luzon.

The Japanese are unmistakably ensconced in the Philippines two weeks into November, with the Japanese gaining control of ports and airfields and having largely chased off the Asiatic fleet before Christmas 1942. The endgame of the final defeat and surrender of the besieged and starved defenders of Corregidor and Bataan doesn’t finish until May 1943, but in any case, from the beginning, the Allies acknowledged sending a relief fleet, with a proper fleet train and logistics, was not going to be possible.

The Japanese occupation of most eastern and central Dutch East East Indies proceeds through December. Dutch and Australian resistance is stronger and longer in Timor. Initial Japanese SNLF leaps and and invasions of points in Java, southern Borneo Kalimantan, and Sumatra, get underway in December as well.

[edited for format 3/22/2024]

——to be continued——-

Last edited:

ahmedali

Banned
Instead, let Sakhalin and Manchurian oil be discovered early

And also have them take all of Sakhalin's outer Manchuria during the Russian Civil War

If this happens, it will reduce the reasons for Japan's expansion, because the desired oil has finally been obtained, and there is no need to expand and attack the colonies of Europe.

Because they will be busy developing a huge colony like Manchuria (both inner and outer).

This will buy an additional 30 years of French rule in Indochina

(If the nationalists win the war against the communists without the war against Japan, or if the communists are neutralized early, France may rule there for a long time, or else the People's Republic of China will continue to stir up rebellions there)