AHC: Female Prime Minister By 1930

The Challenge I present you with is thus, to have a female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a PoD no earlier than 1880, by 1930. Does this seem an achievable goal? If so, how early could Britain have a female PM? Would it be easier or more difficult to have a female POTUS by the same year?

The Challenge I present you with is thus, to have a female Prime Minister of the United Kingdom, with a PoD no earlier than 1880, by 1930. Does this seem an achievable goal? If so, how early could Britain have a female PM? Would it be easier or more difficult to have a female POTUS by the same year?

Lady Astor didn't have a hope in hell. To my mind, it would have to be a Labour woman though I find the scenario very implausible.

In my timeline, if I could, I would really like to make Gwendolen Sinclair Jones the first female PM of the UK, after her initial successes in the 1920s. :) Alas, I don't think a female PM before WWII will be possible even in said TL. :(

Here's something from WWI.

By January 1915, 184 members of parliament were serving with the armed forces.[16]

I guess if the various political parties came to some type of agreement that any serving married parlimentarian of military age and fitness could join up and be replaced in parliament by their spouse for the duration of the war.

This would get people use to having a woman as their local member and as many men did not return from the war their widows would then stand as the current MP in the post war elections.

In 1868, Mary Gladstone, who achieved notability as advisor, confidante and private secretary, to her father, William Ewart Gladstone, who had succeeded as Prime Minister in this year.

On March 1st, 1880, at the age of 41, Richard Grosvenor, 1st Baron Stalbridge, as the incumbent member of parliament for the constituency of Flintshire, with only 30 days until the general election, William E. Gladstone, was in a panic of who to pick.
This is where Mary came into her own, she had attained a fair degree of political influence by controlling access to him, and was able to persuade her father, to allow her to sit in the election.

At the age of 33 years old, Mary becomes the first female elected to sit in Parliament, elected in the same year as her brother, Herbert Gladstone, 1st Viscount Gladstone, meaning that William E. Gladstone, had three of his children in Parliament, the other child was William Henry Gladstone who was MP for East Worcestershire.

Mary is given the title "minister without portfolio" and the duties of supporting her father during his Second ministry, from 1880-1885. In his Fourth ministry, Mary is made home secretary from .

On 19 May 1898, after the death of her father and then William Vernon Harcourt, stepping down as Liberal Leader in 8 December. On 6 February 1899, Mary was able to beat Campbell-Bannerman and succeeded Sir William Vernon Harcourt as Leader of the Liberals in the House of Commons and in 1906 became the first female Prime Minister.

There were elements in all parties who backed suffrage. It MIHGT have passed in 1906-10. (we need to lose Asquith but that would be good)

Widows taking seats from MPs dying in WW1 seems plausible.

Possibly longer and bloodier war involves bigger women's role.

maybe?

It's

Banned
Why Labour and not Conservative?

Lady Astor didn't have a hope in hell. To my mind, it would have to be a Labour woman though I find the scenario very implausible.

... And British labour has not even had a party leader to this day!:confused:
Can you even think of a 1930's labour mp who might have been?

Margaret Beckett (1994) and Harriet Harman (2010) were both acting leaders in between leadership elections. Conservatives are, well, conservative. Mrs Thatcher had the devil's own time even getting a seat and that was in the '50s. There were always more Labour women MPs.

As to Labour women: Margaret Bondfield, Susan Lawrence or Red Nellie Wilkinson. There was a woman doctor who was elected in London who might be a dark horse. Perhaps in Southwark or Bermondsey? Can't remember her name.

I have found the woman physician: Dr Ethel Bentham (Islington E 1929-31). Had she won earlier in that seat, she could have been a contender.

An amendment to the Representation of the People Bill in 1884 gives women the vote on the same terms as men, and the right to stand for election to the House of Commons. [1]

Margaret Bondfield is elected as a Labour MP in the 1906 general election. [2] In 1921 she is elected leader of the Labour Party and becomes Prime Minister of a minority Labour government in 1924.

[1] See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Representation_of_the_People_Act_1884.

[2] Here is her entry in the Oxford Dictionary of National Biography: http://www.oxforddnb.com/view/article/31955.

Bessie Braddock is the obvious Labour candidate. She would have been 30 in 1929. Had she joined Labour earlier she could have been an MP by 1930, but as it was she didn't stand until 1945.

She would have had a lot of support from dockers, who were a powerful force in Labour.

Most likely Beatrice Webb.

Assuming Great war widow Members of Parliament WS Churchill did some active service. Clementine comes to mind

Last edited:
Rather than expanding suffrage, how about allowing women to sit in the House of Lords? In OTL this had to wait until after WWII, but it's not out the question that peeresses might successfully lobby for equality earlier.

Once you've got that, it'd be plausible to have a female Prime Minister from the Lords up until the Parliament Act or equivalent.