AHC: European settler state in Asia

Manchuria isn’t a country.

It also had a population density equivalent to that of Canada in 2018, and one somewhat smaller than that of Iran at the same time.

This is far from “nothing.”

Canada's population density is ridiculously low. Not a good counterexample, unless you are saying that Manchuria, like Canada, is mostly near-uninhabitable.

That is true, even if local labour wasn't available slaves from the Indian ocean was a lot closer. I think one really needs some genocidal white supremacists to make it work. What about Hokkaido? I believe that it was a sparsely populated and temperate region as described by Beer in his tl before he was banned.

What about the Venetian and Genoa colonies on the Pontic Steppe? If the Ottomans are crippled, I could see those eventually becoming settler colonies.

What time period can Taiwan be grabbed by Europeans and still settled? It seems unfeasible until the mid 1700s and by that point the population was much bigger.

I think an important question is what is considered "European"?

Are the children of Whites and Indians (or Whites and Indonesians, etc) considered "European"?

If so it is much easier than otherwise.

Set up a "One British Empire" movement, or something of that ilk. It would certainly be a radical movement, but have them recruit people to settle in parts of India - essentially a form of Freemason/Jesuit organisation that encourages mixed-race children, and after an initial generous few donations, is funded LDS style - they take a % of peoples earnings and that helps pay to ferry applicants and members around.

What time period can Taiwan be grabbed by Europeans and still settled? It seems unfeasible until the mid 1700s and by that point the population was much bigger.
Most of it was under European control in the 1600s. I'm sure a better effort to secure it could be made if the east indies proved more prickly.

To fulfil the op criteria what's needed is a sparsely settled land (or land easily cleared of inhabitants) that's attractive to European settlers and accessible to them, coupled with a system that disenfranchises locals in favour of settlers.
Is there anywhere in Asia that fits that?

The Himalayas? I've been mulling over the feasibility of pulling a Grand Fenwick out of one or more of the old Hill Stations (to those not familiar with British India, a Hill Station was a mountain resort where the governing class of the British Raj could retire to in order to get away from the summer heat) by having the government of the Raj set aside a handful of mountain valleys as pretty much exclusively for British use - encouraging small scale British settlement (demobbed soldiers would be ideal), discouraging Indian settlement, investment and infrastructure to European standards. Start in the mid 19thC in somewhere like Arunachal Pradesh (still the least densely populated part of India today, IIRC) so that by 1948 it has a population of 50-100,000 white British (if you don't look too closely, many of them will probably actually be mixed race after a century or so) English speaking and nominally Christian inhabitants which is separated off by the British as independence approaches to become its own state whose existence is tolerated by India as it acts as a buffer with China.

Probably the 16th century, but even then, settling it would be hard. Much easier to co-opt the natives and import Chinese people, like the Spaniards did in the Philippines.

And... this continent was mostly settled by Europeans? Even though it was two oceans away, I assume?

I'm assuming Magellanica=South America. As in the land explored by Magellan. It was largely settled by Europeans in OTL (some areas are majority European. more are majority mixed-racr)

The Himalayas? I've been mulling over the feasibility of pulling a Grand Fenwick out of one or more of the old Hill Stations (to those not familiar with British India, a Hill Station was a mountain resort where the governing class of the British Raj could retire to in order to get away from the summer heat) by having the government of the Raj set aside a handful of mountain valleys as pretty much exclusively for British use - encouraging small scale British settlement (demobbed soldiers would be ideal), discouraging Indian settlement, investment and infrastructure to European standards. Start in the mid 19thC in somewhere like Arunachal Pradesh (still the least densely populated part of India today, IIRC) so that by 1948 it has a population of 50-100,000 white British (if you don't look too closely, many of them will probably actually be mixed race after a century or so) English speaking and nominally Christian inhabitants which is separated off by the British as independence approaches to become its own state whose existence is tolerated by India as it acts as a buffer with China.
Interesting. Though in the early days wasn't mixed race not a problem if the dad was British and both Christian? Plenty of army officers were mixed following transfer of India from the BEIC.

Deleted member 109224

Have the Russians get to Hokkaido before the Japanese do and settle the place. Maybe the Ezo Republic becomes an autonomy of the Russian Empire like Bukhara and Kokand were and a mixed Russo-Japanese syncretic culture forms on the island.

I'm assuming Magellanica=South America. As in the land explored by Magellan. It was largely settled by Europeans in OTL (some areas are majority European. more are majority mixed-racr)

No, it's a fictional continent in the Southeast Pacific region that I've created based on a continent that was presumed to exist between New Zealand and South America from the time of Mendaña (1560s) to voyages of Cook (1770), by 1700 New Holland and the hypotethical TA were considered as two distinct landmasses. The name comes from Magellan and it was used as another name for Terra Australis because Tierra del Fuego, which was discovered by Magellan, was assumed to be a promontory of the southern continent. I applied it to my continent because Magellan discovered it in my conworld (in reality he sailed along the presumed coastlines of Terra Australis).

Last edited:

I've created an inland state for Anglo-Indians too, alongside aforementioned Andamans and Nicobars. Some of the hill stations have English names, like Dalhousie and Wellington, which is suitable.